70th anniversary La Scala II

W27

On 7/8/2018 at 7:57 PM, jimjimbo said:

OK, so if I'm not mistaken, when these first came out, the MSRP was $14000.00 per pair.....$6999.00, each....Please correct me if I'm wrong...however, I challenge you to name another speaker company that has sold 70 pairs of $14000.00 speakers in 18 months.  Not gonna happen.  So then, when sales were slow at that price point, the sharks (Adorama, and others) started circling......and started acquiring, and offering at significant discounts.  OK, fine.  Now, it's summer 2017/2018, and it's a slow time in the retail business, for everything....  Again, I challenge you to name another speaker company kicking a$$ selling $6000.00 pairs of speakers.  Oh, but now, Adorama puts out this grand sale that they can't even guarantee are matched pairs.  And they're having issues with figuring out what makes a "set"....Really?    And, and.....the (beauty is in the eye of the beholder), beautiful, wonderful Australian walnut is not everyone's cup of tea, nor is the notion that should you (Heaven forbid) want to sell them somewhere down the road, you have to come to the realization that you paid a very significant premium for a cute little plaque or whatever it is, and a special veneer.....Well, good luck with that.

Since you challenged us lol B&W diamonds sell for more and sell more than 70 pairs in 18 months

On 7/8/2018 at 4:38 PM, Coytee said:

Others that listen more critically than I do might argue what I"m going to say to you but....  in my opinion:

The biggest difference (to me) between the two is if you are mobile.  The two horns as I recall Roy telling me once (long ago) were designed to sound the same.  The big difference is the larger horn will hold the dispersion pattern better (lower frequency too) than the smaller horn.

This was easily ascertained once when Roy played them both (one after the other) in their anechoic chamber.  With the larger horn, when you walked beside or behind the speaker, the sound noticeably dropped.  When the K510 was on top (both using Jubilee bass bins) you could walk beside and then behind and hear more of the sound.

So, with the smaller horn, you will get more sound "splashing" onto the walls/ceiling, maybe even your apron as you bake your biscuits but that's about it.

I heard them both (402/510) once in Indianapolis at a Klipsch shin-dig... since I had some, I didn't fight the crowd to stand in front of the speakers to audition them.  I was at a table off to the side.  This was really, the first time I noticed the differences between the two.  When the 510 was playing, I could hear more high-end content (that which was splashing around the sides of the horn) while the 402 played, it seemed more muted.

It really was an interesting revelation for me as I had always read how a larger horn can control the sound better but this really put it into real world observation.

Funny you mention sound control as this is exactly what I am finding to be true with my MCM 1900 setup. It is like once you reach a certain size it can overcome the deficiencies of your listening environment and at least here in my shop smaller does not do this.

Evidently, as counter-intuitive as it may seem....  a larger horn is better in a room than a smaller horn.

But, now that you know this, I DON'T want to see you against using LaScalas or Jubilee's as headphones.....

1343631569_6775441.gif.1a4d3e8045aee2fd11ce6f86a35e84a3.gif

8 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Evidently, as counter-intuitive as it may seem....  a larger horn is better in a room than a smaller horn.

But, now that you know this, I DON'T want to see you against using LaScalas or Jubilee's as headphones.....

1343631569_6775441.gif.1a4d3e8045aee2fd11ce6f86a35e84a3.gif

Your first line rings true but ronically your joke mirrors reality if you replace the word "headphones" with Home Theater. Size does become a major consideration for aesthetics and practicality as well. 

7 hours ago, W27 said:

Since you challenged us lol B&W diamonds sell for more and sell more than 70 pairs in 18 months

don't bother... JJ's reading comprehension is askew.

his understanding of the original post is tainted by obsession... he must have been dropped on his head as a child.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Schu said:

don't bother... JJ's reading comprehension is askew.

his understanding of the original post is tainted by obsession... he must have been dropped on his head as a child.

That's fairly insensitive. He was probably kicked in the head by goats (and I can empathize). :P

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

And, of course, still nothing to validate this wonderful claim.  But hey, Dickweed Shoe believes it, so, it must be true.

I’m usually only online late at night. These companies don’t publish their sales numbers or you’d know exactly how many 70th anniversary LSII’s were sold. 

However, I live in NYC and there’s quite a few B&W dealers around me. When the D3’s came out I was working with stereo exchange about trading in mine on a pair. They couldn’t keep them in stock. Every time I tried to listen even the display models were sold. There were numerous on the floor in boxes tagged sold every time I went in. There’s a lot of money in Manhattan. I wouldn’t be surprised if Stereo Exchange personally sold over 70 pairs in 18 months. 

That’s just one of many stores in my city lol they’re made in England and much more popular over there. I have zero doubt they sell more than 70 pair. 

3 minutes ago, Deano1974 said:

Hey Schu any update on your LSII's ?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

I am hoping for Thursday delivery...

6 minutes ago, finallygotmyheresies said:

Are you expecting matching s/n?

I am... this is a "all correct or nothing" purchase. I don't want to see one blemish or dent and matching numbers set or it will be sent back.

• Like 2

I am... this is a "all correct or nothing" purchase. I don't want to see one blemish or dent and matching numbers set or it will be sent back.
Exactly - Nothing less than supreme condition, fingers crossed for you [emoji4]

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

• Like 1