70th anniversary La Scala II

W27

7 minutes ago, Schu said:

I am... this is a "all correct or nothing" purchase. I don't want to see one blemish or dent and matching numbers set or it will be sent back.

Any advice on how to ensure matching #'s? Did you follow the directions posted by the member that bought them earlier and speak to the lady that helped him?

Yes... I followed the same procedure that the original poster proposed. I emailed and called multiple people along the purchase timeline and was constantly reassured that the warehouse was being advised of the "paired set" requirements. (I sent them the picture of the outer box area where it clearly states what speaker goes with its mate, thanks to OP). I don't think it's a huge deal because they only had 8 speakers left when I ordered mine. I emailed at least three people in customer service that all we're in contact with warehouse and I had a physical phone call with someone on scene in NY at the store itself (he probably got the commission because his name was on the purchase order).

The only thing I didn't do was to contact the shipper to have them inspect the serial numbers... it's not their responsibility.

I am more concerned with damage than I am with matching numbers, because of the last couple purchases I have made... I am understandably apprehensive.

I'm going to have four LSII's now... I dint think I need that many because my 5.1 isn't that needy in the rear. I might sell the other set for very cheap... or use one of them for a center and just destroy the second after cannibalizing the parts, we'll see.

serial numbers to the brain....... Fyi, once mine arrived at Dallas shipping hub they sat for 5 days.  So I called the shipping outfit to check status.  I'm glad I did. they had the wrong phone number.   I found the  shipping company TWW more helpful than Adorama.

1 hour ago, Pete Mote said:

serial numbers to the brain....... Fyi, once mine arrived at Dallas shipping hub they sat for 5 days.  So I called the shipping outfit to check status.  I'm glad I did. they had the wrong phone number.   I found the  shipping company TWW more helpful than Adorama.

I was surprised that it's a separate operation that does the local delivery. 

I called tying to confirm Thursday delivery and they said that they all probably call me on Thursday to set up the home delivery after the " long haul trucking company brings them to the local office.

I wonder if I can just pick them up Thursday night at the receiving facility... it's already been 14 days since placing the initial order.

• Like 1

So here's a question for you. What is the exact significance of sequential matching serial #'s?  Is it because of the book matched veneers? Or, is it a sonic matching of speakers in the lab in Hope, AK?  Are there "left" & "right" speakers in the matched pair?

And, if they're not matched, is the value less? And are they sonically inferior?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Schu said:

I was surprised that it's a separate operation that does the local delivery. 

I called tying to confirm Thursday delivery and they said that they all probably call me on Thursday to set up the home delivery after the " long haul trucking company brings them to the local office.

I wonder if I can just pick them up Thursday night at the receiving facility... it's already been 14 days since placing the initial order.

Fairly typical. The Freight company's work with numerous warehouse drop centers.   Standard middleman setup.  They come on a semi and then they move them to an over the road truck to haul residential.  Most neighbors dont like semi's coming in and out.   You could but I would let them do the work.  Just setup a time and a date and you'll  ordering a blooming onion and dropping beats.

12 minutes ago, Sonicman said:

So here's a question for you. What is the exact significance of sequential matching serial #'s?  Is it because of the book matched veneers? Or, is it a sonic matching of speakers in the lab in Hope, AK?  Are there "left" & "right" speakers in the matched pair?

And, if they're not matched, is the value less? And are they sonically inferior?

A very timely question....I don't know if there's anything exact about it, but certainly the cosmetics of the pair is very important, so the sequential numbers would help to play a part in the look of the veneer, but of course, nothing is guaranteed in that regard.  "Sonic matching", I think is a somewhat less regarded issue, however having close driver serial numbers and manufacturing dates is a bonus, simply from a reselling perspective.  Not matched as "sonically inferior".....no, only though if they are way off in manufacturing dates it may be an issue, but likely not.  It's really all about the value at resale, which some don't want to admit, but in reality it's definitely something to consider.

31 minutes ago, Sonicman said:

Book matched wood veneers.  The Queensland Walnut leaves are kept in order to provide a mirror image. 

" – like turning the pages of a book. This gives each speaker an aesthetically appealing, completely unique appearance of its wood veneer."

The crossovers are identical, Of course the passives used in the circuit have to meet tolerances and would be difficult to detect any differences by ear, but one could put on a scope to verify.   

IMG_2508.thumb.JPG.4979a9b772a4233f924490f0e69d2704.JPGIMG_2507.thumb.JPG.336e8ea2f8608d67ab04dc95d2bef52f.JPG

The 70th Anniversary  are the last to be made with  Queensland Walnut: This complimented with the silver luster cloth make for a spectacular looking speaker.

Left and Right  Just to be different I put my left on the right and the right on the left. Doh!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sonicman said:

Why would there be ANY sonic differential... that doesn't even make sense.

The factory intended them to be sold in pairs... they are number as such and marketed as left and right. The major binding issue is the very careful selection of the Queensland Walnut that is book matched.

Klipsch said in their literature that no other speakers will ever be made in this veneer (although if you have the money, I am sure they will make you a set).

The fact that Adorama sold them as singles is representative that they had no idea what they were selling beyond the sense that they were expensive speakers 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Jimbo, I noticed that Pete had pics of 24R & 24L. So is one to assume they should be placed in that fashion as a right and left channel? I am wondering if Klipsch does anechoic chamber testing/tweaking to match the speakers. It sounds cool but I may be reading too much into it. And even if a sound chamber test mates two speakers "similar",  if serial #'s are off by a few digits, is there a sonic difference?  I think not. But as far as resale, you're right. 

... and those speakers built on a Tuesday when temperatures are below 80 degrees with relative humidity 51% or less will sound superior to those built under other conditions. And then there is price. The less you pay the better they'll sound.

Of course, all of that can be negated by using the wrong cables and wares.

• Thanks 1