70th anniversary La Scala II

W27

8 hours ago, TasDom said:

Wow, how hard is it for a distributor to sweep a box off before shipping? I know it doesn't affect the contents but you would think that the guy shrink wrapping them would have some company pride. Maybe the "white glove" service would of cared...:)

Enjoy!

Upon cleaning up the boxes, they would have to change the name to "dirty, dusty, brownish glove service"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Schu said:

41690812450_7c0b733944_k.jpg

I probably won't get to the opening until the weekend. I also want to open them up (the top hat) and take a close look at the crossover and compare them.

Congrats @Schu!!

I suppose that if the numbers didn't match we would all know.

If all that dirt didn't land on them just recently one day you might have an early set there!

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, wdecho said:

Depends on how much you like bass. Horn bass is far superior to any other way to produce bass. Quick, dynamic almost like the highs in that respect. I think a good quality sub is beneficial to the over all presentation but I listened with my LaScala's without a sub for decades. The bass LaScala's do make is outstanding. 

I agree 100%

3 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

The Facebook group is full of 100dB+ers, but there's a great deal of folk around here that hover in the 75-85dB area, myself included. Dynamic range is more important to me than peak loudness numbers on a meter, and there's a ton of detail that you hear at lower volumes which can be lost if you focus on blasting the speakers.

Exactly

If I would have only considered this when I was younger, mostly at work.

decibel_exposure_chart.gif

• Like 2

On 7/7/2018 at 4:01 PM, Sonicman said:

ClaudeJ1, I agree about the marketing bs. It's an excuse to drive up the price for no real tangible benefit, except aesthetics. I would never pay a $2K premium each for the 70th version, BUT, if you can get the Anniversary edition for less than the cost of a regular edition pair, why not? 

Winner, winner, chicken dinner !! Or, you'll have money left over to down some of that expensive wine Emile is drinking. 

It has been 70 years for the Khorn, so that would be OK to do, but the LaScala wasn't around that long.

1 hour ago, dtel said:

I agree 100%

Exactly

If I would have only considered this when I was younger, mostly at work.

decibel_exposure_chart.gif

OSHA standards have been lowered by 5 db. The 8 hour thing used to be 90 db instead of 85, and has been revised after all the OSHA engineers became deaf like Pete Townsend of the Who, with Tinnitus as icing on the cake!!...WHAT??

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I rarely listen over 85 dB? If that is the case, seriously?   You bought LA scalas to listen at 85 dB?

It's not how fast you mow, it's how well you mow fast. My LS1's with a sub, at 85db is impressive. My boombox on my toolbox will play 85 db, and will drive me crazy. Could not turn the volume down fast enough...

• Like 1

I get it believe me I do.   I listen at 90 or so dB on the regular. If I am going to turn it up past 100 or so, it will be for a single song or two. I don't sit in front of speakers for 8 plus hours or even close ever.  Don't have that kind of time.  An hour or so is usually max at a time. 

• Like 1

I completely understand dynamic range at reasonable volumes. I mixed on AUGSPURGER customer monitors with TAD components using bryston amps and custom Crossovers damn near every day for years.   My point is.... Maybe I stand alone, I would be too tempted to crank the LA scalas up a little more 😎

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

My point is.... Maybe I stand alone, I would be too tempted to crank the LA scalas up a little more 😎

Well yea, sure, I would.

We listen differently, there is a big difference, if I were only listening for roughly an hour it would probably be a little louder than my average for sure. Music is on now, I will go measure just to see, I have no idea the DB's ?

Ok it is between 65 and 70 DB's in the living room which is completely open to 2 other rooms, so slightly lower in the rest of the area. A little higher than I would have guessed, but this will play until someone wants to watch Tv tonight. Then it's the HT speakers playing whatever is on TV because the Tv speakers suck and point to the wall behind the TV, stupid idea.

I was just having a little fun with my comment..  I think it is klipsch that has the slogan "pissing off the neighbors since.....". I always found it interested when I would meet other "audiophiles" that had a 50K B&W/ McIntosh system for example and it was just for background music.  Wish I had that kind of cash 4o burn for a background music System..... To each his or her own 

41 minutes ago, Speed said:

It's not how fast you mow, it's how well you mow fast. My LS1's with a sub, at 85db is impressive. My boombox on my toolbox will play 85 db, and will drive me crazy. Could not turn the volume down fast enough...

Ah, yes.........DISTORTION, which is the great equalizer. It's real easy to to turn up a low distortion speaker like Klipsch and not realize it's too loud because it's so clean.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Ah, yes.........DISTORTION, which is the great equalizer. It's real easy to to turn up a low distortion speaker like Klipsch and not realize it's too loud because it's so clean.

Ah yes it is so wonderful. It is way to easy for me to get to happy with the volume control when I'm listening alone (no conversation going on). It's SO CLEAN. Like I said wonderful....

But only for short periods.