70th anniversary La Scala II

W27

Schu,  most excellent on the matched pair.  PWK is rolling over in his grave seeing twins split up at birth.   Maybe someday they will be reunited.  One with cig burns on top and the other with potted plant marking; but no matter they will recognize each other and bond.

On 7/18/2018 at 9:08 PM, Westcoastdrums said:

You bought LA scalas to listen at 85 dB?   I would never buy an Enzo Ferrari to drive 14 mph.... That's just me.   Hope you like the speakers but..... Perhaps Vienna acoustics may be better suited?

On 7/19/2018 at 10:59 AM, Westcoastdrums said:

If I had music on ALL day, it would be just loud enough to hear all detail clearly with dynamic range, whatever the lowest volume to accomplish that would be. 

This sounds like a great reason to buy the best one can afford in high-efficiency, low-distortion (fully-horn-loaded) speakers; --so much the better if you can find them at a discount. The impression I get, is that first-watt theory, and the almost direct-function existing between increased power and increased distortion, remains an almost arcane bit of info--when I would expect it to be much more commonly understood. I'm more than a little surprised the marketing folks at Klipsch don't make more of this as a selling point...

High-quality sound at low volume levels is a game changer. Magic.

[Edit] Oh, btw... Schu, nice purchase!

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, opusk2k9 said:

If you were worried about sequential serial numbers, you could buy from this guy:

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ele/d/klipsch-la-scala-ii-70th/6650450713.html

But you probably won't...

^^^^^

Yep, saw those the other day on an audio site. Too ironic not to think he bought them "cheap" from where Shu and others bought and now looking to turn a buck - or two. And why not ??

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, richieb said:

And why not ??

That would make him a dishonest scammer in my book. That's not making an honest buck. Just my 2 cents, no offense intended. C'mon, Karma ! Hope he has to sell em at a loss, and a fellow audio enthusiast can live their dream...

• Confused 1

Scammer? Find a good deal then re-sell? How is that a scam?  If the boxes labeled 70th LaScala arrived without the speakers inside, yep you were scammed. If not,  you just didn't find the best deal first. So if you were astute enough to buy Amazon stock at first offering then sell it years later at multiples of that, that person is a scammer?  Hmmm, bet there might be some pushback defining that as scamming someone. 

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Speed said:

That would make him a dishonest scammer in my book. That's not making an honest buck. Just my 2 cents, no offense intended. C'mon, Karma ! Hope he has to sell em at a loss, and a fellow audio enthusiast can live their dream...

Not dishonest strictly, opportunistic maybe.  I think he is asking way too much, IMO.

There is a guy in WI that must have picked up some Forte III, when they went on sale for $1800/pr.

He started at $3200, now down to $2500.  Supply/demand, but they often find out the demand isn't always close to their asking price.

I rarely buy with a plan to flip, it does happen occasionally,  but normally I will sell when I need to fund the next purchase or recoup some funds. 

If I make a profit, great if I will lose money, I just keep them.  Making a profit doesn't make you a scammer.  I don't lowball people, I pay their asking price and occasionally more.

I do my research and offer items at a fair price.  I often find that asking a fair price will have you sitting on the item for a while.

9 hours ago, opusk2k9 said:

I rarely buy with a plan to flip, it does happen occasionally,  but normally I will sell when I need to fund the next purchase or recoup some funds. 

If I make a profit, great if I will lose money, I just keep them.  Making a profit doesn't make you a scammer.  I don't lowball people, I pay their asking price and occasionally more.

I do my research and offer items at a fair price.  I often find that a fair price will have to sitting on the item for a while.

Yes, that's fair. As long as people are being reasonable. To pay 5K, and turn around and flip it for 10K, (as an example) just rubs me the wrong way. I guess I'd be a terrible used car salesman...

On 4/13/2018 at 9:16 PM, W27 said:

Beautiful speakers. I’m not sure what a good price would really be on these. They’re listed at $6999 each. Adorama has a promo code: SPRINGTIME That brings them down to $3299 each. Free shipping. Has me tempted. 

https://www.adorama.com/kplascala2aw.html?utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

At that price aren't you just a little away from Jubs

When they say "on back order" they really mean sold out.

I'd say the price I got was fair @ 2800ea shipped.

Sure I am a short hop to a jubilee but I am still not ready for that jump because of the dsp and size of my room. (25 x 40)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schu said:

When they say "on back order" they really mean sold out.

I'd say the price I got was fair @ 2800ea shipped.

Sure I am a short hop to a jubilee but I am still not ready for that jump because of the dsp and size of my room. (25 x 40)

-- Two things -

- have you the opportunity to listen to Jubes? With active crossovers or with passives? Please don't sell passive Jubes short -

- Roy has said, and I've actually heard him say this - smaller the room, bigger the horn should, can be 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, richieb said:

Roy has said, and I've actually heard him say this - smaller the room, bigger the horn should, can be 

He said the same thing to me, the bigger horn can control the room easier.

1 hour ago, Schu said:

I prefer passive for it's simplistic analog approach. 

That IS  an interesting comment by RD.

- hop on a plane to KC. Hear passive Jubes with Pass Labs power. And for chits and giggles we can pull out the LS 1st gen for comparison. 

Isn't there a forum rule that you don't pressure someone to upgrade for at least a month after they get new speakers? AND then it is only for crossovers first, then new drivers, then a sub and THEN move up to bigger horns.  There are so many unwritten rules, it is hard to keep them straight.

Richie, I'll be in KC next month, would love to hear your LS 1s. but know I shouldn't listen to Jubes (passive or aggressive)!

Schu, your new LS 70th's look great. Much better in your room than the website. Enjoy.