WTB Realistic MC-500 single or cheap bookshelves

omar4

Putting together a beginner system for my great nephew who is 10yrs old. I have some Fisher components from the '80's or early '90's. I don't want to spend over about $50 for a single Realistic or pair of bookshelves. I might give him my RB-51 ii's, but, his sisters will probably break everything, so, I want to get something cheap. Open to suggestions. thanks

I do have some KG 1.5's that I'm using for sides with my Cornwall II's. I'm contemplating going back to Reference for Home Theatre and would use my Rb-51's as sides with some RF floor standers. My first set was the RF-62 ii's which I sold for my Cornwalls which are really too large for my space. But, I LOVE THEM. I don't know what to do-HA

On 4/16/2018 at 12:36 PM, Frzninvt said:

The best mini speakers bar none are the a/d/s L200's and L300's they can outperform speakers far larger.  They go for around $100/pr or so and sold for like $300/$500 a pair new.

ADS L300E White.jpg

Wow!  I never knew about those... did Radio Shack ever sell a single speaker that wasn't a ripoff of someone else's design?

On 4/14/2018 at 11:15 AM, omar4 said:

Putting together a beginner system for my great nephew who is 10yrs old. I have some Fisher components from the '80's or early '90's. I don't want to spend over about $50 for a single Realistic or pair of bookshelves. I might give him my RB-51 ii's, but, his sisters will probably break everything, so, I want to get something cheap. Open to suggestions. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, went to a local thrift store today and found RF-3's, RC-3, SB-3's and I think KSW-12 subwoofer for $35! Problem is all of the woofers are trash, except 1 on the RC-3. They said they all work, but, is it worth it to get them to refurb-at least the SB-3's for my great nephew? Cabs are pretty scratched up and only 1 grill for an SB-3

1 hour ago, omar4 said:

Ok, went to a local thrift store today and found RF-3's, RC-3, SB-3's and I think KSW-12 subwoofer for $35! Problem is all of the woofers are trash, except 1 on the RC-3. They said they all work, but, is it worth it to get them to refurb-at least the SB-3's for my great nephew? Cabs are pretty scratched up and only 1 grill for an SB-3

no .. sell the one good woofer the tweeters and the crossovers on Ebay .. then buy the kid some speakers with the proceeds from Parts Express