The Fifteen

Gurba

5 hours ago, garyrc said:

1) Why was it withdrawn?

2) Just out of curiosity, what midrange driver did it use?

"Featuring 180 watts per channel built-in custom amplification with a 192kHz / 24-bit DAC, 15” woofers and 1.75” horn-loaded tweeters, The Fifteens deliver auditory ecstasy. Including a built-in phono pre-amp, plus optical digital, USB Audio, RCA and Bluetooth® inputs– you can enjoy the purity of sound from virtually any source without the hassle of a complicated setup.”

Based on this I'd guess the same driver as in the RF-7 II? 

I remember reading some time back that the built in electronics and the size of the speakers were a big part of the reason not to build these, chances / costs of having issues and customer returns for repairs and what not were predicted to be too high. Nice looking speakers though, bet they sounded great too. 

• Like 1

I think they made the right choice.   A powered speaker this large presents a real servicing headache.  ..It's one thing to send a 40lb Active stand monitor in for servicing but quite another to send something this large back if the amplifier needs servicing.  ..Yes, you could remove the amp section and send it separately but then the technician can't investigate the speaker itself as a contributing factor.

Personally, I don't see how active speakers are any more convenient.  ..Instead of speaker wires,  you now have both a signal AND a power cord running to each speaker.   And what if you don't have an outlet proximal to the speaker?  You'll end up with even more cabling gathering round the base of each speaker and possibly more limited placement unless you don't mind running extension cords to your speakers (or paying to have new outlets installed).   Plus, with both speakers plugging into outlets (and probably using grounded three-prong plugs) you'll have more opportunity for buzz and hum from ground loops.

I say it was the right decision.

On 4/15/2018 at 12:45 PM, ODS123 said:

I think they made the right choice.   A powered speaker this large presents a real servicing headache.  ..It's one thing to send a 40lb Active stand monitor in for servicing but quite another to send something this large back if the amplifier needs servicing.  ..Yes, you could remove the amp section and send it separately but then the technician can't investigate the speaker itself as a contributing factor.

Personally, I don't see how active speakers are any more convenient.  ..Instead of speaker wires,  you now have both a signal AND a power cord running to each speaker.   And what if you don't have an outlet proximal to the speaker?  You'll end up with even more cabling gathering round the base of each speaker and possibly more limited placement unless you don't mind running extension cords to your speakers (or paying to have new outlets installed).   Plus, with both speakers plugging into outlets (and probably using grounded three-prong plugs) you'll have more opportunity for buzz and hum from ground loops.

I say it was the right decision.

Agreed

On 4/15/2018 at 2:48 AM, garyrc said:

1) Why was it withdrawn?

Most likely they realized that there wasn't nearly as big of a market as somebody had originally thought, plus all that active stuff has more warranty issues.  They were going to build it in Hope too, which is already pretty much maxed out.  They've put their efforts into promoting the heritage stuff more instead.  

Most likely they realized that there wasn't nearly as big of a market as somebody had originally thought, plus all that active stuff has more warranty issues.  They were going to build it in Hope too, which is already pretty much maxed out.  They've put their efforts into promoting the heritage stuff more instead.  

How many did they make? Try and ****** one of the few pairs they might have made :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk