Rebuilding the Cornwall II crossover

jwgorman

After reading some of the comments about the poor quality of CWII crossovers, I blew in every thing I’d need to rebuild the stock crossovers in my newly acquired ‘86 Cornwalls. 

I found one really cold solder joint and the inputs at the cup were all loose. 

I reused what I could, threw on some super HD cinch terminal strips and then discovered I didn’t order new 3uf caps! D’oh. I had some 1% 2.7uf and I’m running them until the 3uf caps show. 

So I think this is a worthwhile maintenance item. I hear more clarity in the treble and enough clear bass I turned off my sub. 

Oh, Bob and Dean and many others here have nothing to fear from my assembly skills. 

504FC69E-3FBE-4B91-9F70-BAF61BD5FF5E.jpeg

• Like 1

Yep the original network is pretty crappy.  Now just get some 1" thick foam acoustic panels from Parts Express and some Scotch 77 spray glue and insulate the three non-opposing sides to removed the cabinet resonances and they will really shine.  Nice work by the way.

• Like 1

Is that the original screw holding down the inductor in the lower right corner of the photo?  It appears to be brass, which it should be, or aluminum, but not ferrous.  I’ve found steel screws in several of the Heritage networks I’ve worked on.  

EDIT:  Upon further inspection, I see that the inductor was originally not held in place with a screw, but only glue.  It appears you have used hot glue and a brass screw.  In any case, you’ve done a nice job. :emotion-21:

4 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

Yep the original network is pretty crappy.  Now just get some 1" thick foam acoustic panels from Parts Express and some Scotch 77 spray glue and insulate the three non-opposing sides to removed the cabinet resonances and they will really shine.  Nice work by the way.

I did that too, only with upholstery grade 1/2” foam. Thanks. They sound really good 

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Is that the original screw holding down the inductor in the lower right corner of the photo?  It appears to be brass, which it should be, or aluminum, but not ferrous.  I’ve found steel screws in several of the Heritage networks I’ve worked on.  

EDIT:  Upon further inspection, I see that the inductor was originally not held in place with a screw, but only glue.  It appears you have used hot glue and a brass screw.  In any case, you’ve done a nice job. :emotion-21:

Thanks. Yes it was glued in place. I had some brass screws in my speaker stuff box, so I sunk a screw too. Just to be sure :)

• Thanks 1

• 4 years later...