PBS documentary "Soundbreaking"

DizRotus

After switching cable providers, I lost all DVR recordings.  Surfing through the channels, I stumbled upon this PBS documentary.  Episodes 7 & 8 were recorded.  After watching/listening to those episodes, I want to listen to episodes 1 - 6 and any that follow 7 & 8.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Good luck.  I caught a couple of them the first time around.  Some nice footage and comments though.  What's $100..  Ugh!

$100?

My post might have been unclear.  The lost DVR recordings are not irreplaceable.  Soundbreaking was discovered while searching for shows to record to have something to watch while doing the NordicTrack.

• Like 1

an absolutely fantastic documentary. I also had the whole series on my pvr which ended up biting the biscuit & I lost everything on the hard drive. just can’t bring myself to drop $100 on a dvd. I’ll eventually find it on upay

5 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

PBS has the Blue Ray of all episodes for $100.  Since it's PBS you might check with the local Library...  We have a lot of PBS stuff here.

What’s Blue Ray?  ;)

Seriously,  I’ll record it off the air or stream it though Roku.  I want to see it, but don’t need to own it.  I was all over Blue Ray, just like I was with laser discs and rear projection TVs, i.e., those ships sailed without me.

• Haha 1

What's with the horrible audio quality on the YouTube videos?  They sound deliberately downgraded with bizzare artifacts like pitch-shifting, phasing anomalies, filtered bandwidth, and time compression.  And yes, I have calibrated ears. That's why I own Klipsch!

HAHAHA  My thought process too!  Ya never know but now I do!  :)

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

What’s Blue Ray?  ;)

Seriously,  I’ll record it off the air or stream it though Roku.  I want to see it, but don’t need to own it.  I was all over Blue Ray, just like I was with laser discs and rear projection TVs, i.e., those ships sailed without me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2018 at 10:19 AM, DizRotus said:

After switching cable providers, I lost all DVR recordings.  Surfing through the channels, I stumbled upon this PBS documentary.  Episodes 7 & 8 were recorded.  After watching/listening to those episodes, I want to listen to episodes 1 - 6 and any that follow 7 & 8.

Amazon has the Blu-Ray version for $22.  I bought the disc and have since watched them. 

If I had to mention anything...it's that its scope is a" just a wee bit narrow", especially if the advertised subject is The Cutting Edge of Recorded Music.  I'd expect that sort of thing from Rolling Stone magazine of which this series strongly reminds me of the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

There are some trips down memory lane, but nothing really new...or worth $22.  I actually expected a much more balanced series from PBS.  I think that Ken Burns would have done a better job covering the mostly historical subjects.  

I suppose we live in an age of "feel good nostalgia" when it comes to music.

Chris