RF7 II's vs RP280F vs RF3 ll's

Joe01880

My room size is 20x17. I am using RF3 ll's & RC3 ll's for LCR mains. Also 2 KSW12HG Subwoofers tuned to match the low end of the RF3 & RC3 Series ll's..

My receiver is a Pioneer Elite SC-91. I have the upgrade itch, truly, I get it to often but I have been putting this system together a long time improving where I can when I can.

I use a Samsung UBD-K8500 Blu-ray player and a TiVo Bolt are my connected components.

I have opportunity to upgrade my receiver OR my main speakers. I am thinking about RF7 ll's and have a chance to pick up RP 280F's.

I have not had a chance to listen to the RP280F's. I've listened to RF7 ll's but not in my H/T room. I listen to both music with this system in both 2ch. direct & 7ch. stereo. I also use it for movies.

If I keep the receiver I have what do you think would be the best speaker to match the RF3 & RC3 ll's or the RP280F's, or the RF7 ll's?

My receiver choices are as follows;

Denon AVR-X6300H

YAMAHA RX-A2070

Marantz SR7011

Lastly possibly a Pioneer Elite SC-LX901.

If I go with the speakers I won't have money to buy a different center speaker. The RC3 series ll will have to do and if I buy the receiver there is no money for speakers even if a great deal falls in my lap.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Joe

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Could always upgrade the center down the road as funds become available.  The RC3 would definitely not be able to keep up with the RF-7 II

That's my thinking.  The 3 barely keeps up with the towers it's spec'd with.  That's why I can't help but wonder if a center upgrade might be more prudent. 

2 hours ago, Youthman said:

So at least we both are in an agreement the receiver would not be the best option?

Yes.  The Pioneer is plenty for the OP.  Has Atmos, has 4K...not much being gained by going to Denon or Marantz at this point.

Thanks for the input folks, as my room is set up now I have size restraints on the size of center speakers. I'm planning on redoing the H/T room this spring which will open things up some. Perhaps sell my 12in subs in favor of a single 15" if the right deal presents it's self. The 62 center sounds like a possibility. I need to find a place to audition some center's, honestly I don't think my RC3 ll sound's bad now tho.
I've been looking pretty hard at the Denon AVR-X7200. Then maybe down the road find a RP450C or similar center and further still RF7 ll's or a pair of RP280F's. I'm frugal and look for good for "me" deals and not above buying something cheap and sell it high just to add to the H/T fund.
Again, thanks for the help!

1 minute ago, Joe01880 said:

I've been looking pretty hard at the Denon AVR-X7200.

...my question is: Why?

What does the 7200 have that your current AVR does not?

The RP-450C is not spec'd to match with the RF-7 II nor the RF-7 III.  You'd want either the RC-64 II or III.

If you upgrade subs, I'd suggest upgrading to twin 15's if you currently have twin 12's.  One 15 does not equal two 12's.

...my question is: Why?

What does the 7200 have that your current AVR does not?

The RP-450C is not spec'd to match with the RF-7 II nor the RF-7 III.  You'd want either the RC-64 II or III.

If you upgrade subs, I'd suggest upgrading to twin 15's if you currently have twin 12's.  One 15 does not equal two 12's.
I started to write a rather lengthy reply to your "why". I found the more I wrote the more I got pissed off at "why". Seriously?
It was explained, did you even read the opening post. I got the upgrade itch. I don't need a reason "why". I'm not spending your money, I'm spending "my" money.
I thanked everyone for contributing, contribute further or don't.
"Why" other than what's been said is really no one business..

I started to write a rather lengthy reply to your "why". I found the more I wrote the more I got pissed off at "why". Seriously?

It was explained, did you even read the opening post. I got the upgrade itch. I don't need a reason "why". I'm not spending your money, I'm spending "my" money.

I thanked everyone for contributing, contribute further or don't.

"Why" other than what's been said is really no one business..

Easy there, Joe. No need to fly off the cuff. You came here asking for advice. You mentioned a number of upgrade options and some of them make better sense than others for the situation you are in. You mentioned you have an SC-91, but the features and power between it and the Denon you mentioned don't show much in the way of an upgrade, thus I asked you "why?"

It was a simple question. No need to be defensive about it.

Scratch that itch.  I did a couple on months ago and upgraded my RF3-I to RF7-I and my old RC3 to RC7.  Great improvement.  The simple and most dramatic answer would be the speaker upgrade.  After all....it is the last link in the chain before our ears....it's what we actually hear (not to say the other links are not important).

On the down side....I have a couple of extra RC3 I need to sell that are not being used.

Easy there, Joe. No need to fly off the cuff. You came here asking for advice. You mentioned a number of upgrade options and some of them make better sense than others for the situation you are in. You mentioned you have an SC-91, but the features and power between it and the Denon you mentioned don't show much in the way of an upgrade, thus I asked you "why?"  
It was a simple question. No need to be defensive about it.

Is why I asked you of you read my first post..
Did you, maybe go back and take a second look.
It was clearly stated why... I want to!!!
The Denon and Pioneer have in common that they are both rectangular, that's about it sir!
Again, thanks for your input.

I believe what he is trying to say is if you can only upgrade the receiver OR the speakers, that upgrading your speakers to rf7 II would be a bigger improvement compared to upgrading your receiver to the denon. I have the denon 6200 which I love, but couldn't justify (at the time) the price difference for the 7200 which had a couple of extra watts. From what I read about the Pioneer, the biggest difference is that it doesn't support dts:x.

We are not here to fight, we are here to learn, teach, help, etc. Good luck with your upgradeitis, most of us have the same condition. :D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

I believe what he is trying to say is if you can only upgrade the receiver OR the speakers, that upgrading your speakers to rf7 II would be a bigger improvement compared to upgrading your receiver to the denon.

Agreed.

• Like 1

I also say upgrade the main speakers to RP-280F's or RF-7II's(preferably) before you change your AVR.  

In order of "importance"below, IMO.

Mains, center, subwoofer, then AVR.  Now if your Pioneer AVR was of the entry level to mid level variety, then I might revise the order.

Bill

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, willland said:

I also say upgrade the main speakers to RP-280F's or RF-7II's(preferably) before you change your AVR.  

In order of "importance"below, IMO.

Mains, center, subwoofer, then AVR.  Now if your Pioneer AVR was of the entry level to mid level variety, then I might revise the order.

Bill

Agreed.  The SC-91 is no slouch.

I'd put attention elsewhere.  I've been doing more 2 channel listening lately, so I'd do mains as well, but my pointing at the center simply stems from it being the weak point in the current setup.

I believe what he is trying to say is if you can only upgrade the receiver OR the speakers, that upgrading your speakers to rf7 II would be a bigger improvement compared to upgrading your receiver to the denon. I have the denon 6200 which I love, but couldn't justify (at the time) the price difference for the 7200 which had a couple of extra watts. From what I read about the Pioneer, the biggest difference is that it doesn't support dts:x.   We are not here to fight, we are here to learn, teach, help, etc. Good luck with your upgradeitis, most of us have the same condition. [emoji3]

DTS-X and Auro mainly are not why I'm considering the Denon. The Denon is an 11.2 receiver. It's amps get nice reviews. If I were to purchase a receiver it would need to be an upgrade to my current. A self amplified 11.2 is a "upgrade" from my current 7.2. I didn't need a OLED tv, my 3D Sony works fine but I wanted an LG OLED and got one..I really don't care about Atmos or DTS-X, Auro, anything that has to bounce sound off the ceiling or shoot downward from it. (Please, no one ask why. Trust I know why and don't think anyone else needs to)

My room limitations (low ceilings) won't let me take advantage of them. I currently use a 7.2 configuration using 2 front height speakers as well, not configured for Atmos.

I enjoy 2 channel stereo reproductions as well as surround sound and 7 channel stereo. I want to be able to bi-amp my mains, be they RF3 ll's or RF7 ll's, lll's or whatever.

What I don't want to add an external amp needing to get it all balanced together and taking up more space, adding an independent power source costing me more money I don't need to spend where an 11.2 receiver will do the trick costing me less over all. I've always had Pioneer Elite, Sony ES and Yamaha.. I've never used Onkyo, Denon, Maratz or Integra and many other. I'm familiar with YPAO and MCACC auto tune and never used Audyssey, I wouldn't mind giving it a try tho..

I haven't decided positive I'd get a receiver at this point but I'm open to it... Although I listen close to reference volume in movies, for music I'm more interested in clarity, depth and sound stage where bi-amping might be advantageous. No, I don't want to do component separate's, why? Because I don't! In case anyone would ask is all..

That's the long version to appease whom ever with "kid" in his name. Me, I'm not a kid, way far from it!

I really just wanted opinions on speakers not in depth of "why" I want to do anything and thought i supplied more than enough info in my OP for others to give it, sorry if I didn't. (know I did tho)

Thanks and hope I didn't offend anyone.

Sigh........Joe, where should I begin with replying to this wall of "hope I didn't offend" text...?

I have been a member here for going on 4 years now, 12 if you want to be technical and include a previous username.  I've seen things be done in certain ways that work, and in certain ways that don't.  It's the story of life, some things work and some things don't.  Some things go the way we plan and others don't.  I've done my fair share of trial and error enough times to say I've participated in that loop a fair number of times as well.

I will never claim any expertise, and I will never chime in on a subject I know nothing about unless it's asking a question to learn more.

You asked about upgrading an AVR from one unit that is the Pioneer Elite SC-91, a reputable unit with serious power and a good feature set against the Denon AVR-X7200, another reputable unit with serious power and good features.  But you didn't mention as to why.  Why is that important here?  Well, what did you want out of the upgrade?  Power? Features?  Upgradability?  If so, could there be more cost effective ways to do it?  There are.  There's always multiple options out there for what a person wants to do.  So when a person comes to the group here, we want to make sure that someone gets a good reply, an array of responses, and information to make a good well informed decision so that they don't have buyers remorse later.  We all have upgradeitis, that's not what anyone asked you about.  It's about ordering and maximizing your current upgrade potential.

Now that being said, I've worked with the public for ten years (I don't anymore, for similar reasons as this).  I've seen plenty of people come up to me insisting they know what product they want, and assuming that it's right for them.  Then they get mad at me when I don't confirm their "well thought out (usually not)" research and refute it.  I have never been in the business of enabling someone in the wrong direction.  I'll push someone all day to upgrade, but only if it's the right option for them.  I'd push someone into other products - again if it works for them.  It seems to me, with your response above, you already made your choice as to what your updates are going to be.

With that being said pardon my "kid" self (a moniker you haven't been around long enough yet to understand why it's there) and ask you, if that's the case, why are you here asking for advice?  Why do you have such a problem with answering simple questions?

Incidentally, what you're trying to do with an all in one approach with the X7200 will not yield the results you want.  Bi-wiring as you're mentioning will reduce your WPC, thus making the point of bi-wiring moot.  You need 2x the power for 3 dB of sound difference, which bi-wiring off of an AVR will not yield.  You're better off to run a single lead off of it.  With RF-7's you could potentially be better off buying a nice slim PreAmp, and a beefy power amp.  But I digress, you've already made it clear that the X7200 is THE ONLY OPTION for you.  But while you're focusing on my simple question and blowing it out of proportion, I and almost every other member (every other) that have replied have all suggested examining the speakers first.  At any rate, good luck to you - whatever you do, hopefully you will prove yourself right.