Newbie question: Amp & Speaker combination

drobin

Hi all,

New to the forums and had a question. My current Onkyo R520 and its speakers are poing to be shipping off so I need a replacement. One of the amps I'm looking at is a '58 Bogen DB212 integrated amp with a (massive) 12W output. After budget & physical space was considered I'm thinking about going with the RP-160s, due to their sensitivity. Any issues or problems with that type of pairing?

thanks in advance.

5 hours ago, drobin said:

Hi all,

New to the forums and had a question. My current Onkyo R520 and its speakers are poing to be shipping off so I need a replacement. One of the amps I'm looking at is a '58 Bogen DB212 integrated amp with a (massive) 12W output. After budget & physical space was considered I'm thinking about going with the RP-160s, due to their sensitivity. Any issues or problems with that type of pairing?

thanks in advance.

Bogen was a respected brand, but ...

... I remember those days, and 12 watt amplifiers were usually mated with more sensitive speakers, believe it or not!  A JBL D130, for instance, was a very popular choice, and had a sensitivity of 103 dB, 1 W, 1 M (or 54 dB EIA, the same sensitivity as a Klipschorn!).  The ElectroVioce speakers were often something like 100 dB, 1W, 1M.  There were only a few inefficient speakers in those days (e.g. the AR and KLH lines), and true, the RP-160s are very sensitive compared to them, or compared to many speakers of today, the typical speaker nowadays having a sensitivity of about 90 dB (generous).  

With the RP-160s, you would have 96 db, 1W (2.83 V into 8 ohms), 1M, which, with the Bogen, would be like driving an EV of 1958 with less than 6 watts, or a JBL D130 of those years with less than 3 watts. 

How big is your room?  Is it relatively live or dead?  How close to the speaker will you sit?  If the Bogen is in good shape, with tubes and capacitors, etc., working correctly (unlikely at that age unless the owner -- or you -- or someone -- rejuvenates it) you could probably get 97 dB out of it and the RP-160 in a smallish (2,500 cu.ft.) room at about ~~~ 8 to 10 feet away, with room gain and boundary gain (speakers against a wall or in a corner) which would be fine until a big orchestral climax (105 dB to 115 dB for milliseconds) or a bit of rambunctious rock or metal (same level as an orchestral climax, but much, much longer, and therefore more dangerous to your equipment and your ears) came around.  If the Bogen goes into clipping, your tweeters may overheat. 

A 25 watt or 30 watt (RMS) amp might be better suited.

Someone else can give you a more informed answer.

Your question would be better served if you post it in the Talkin' Tubes section of the forum.

The DB212 is a nice little amp.  As Gary pointed out, it needs to be restored to ensure safe use and longevity.  Regarding power, it should be more than enough unless you want to achieve "ear bleeding" levels (in which case RP-160s wouldn't be appropriate anyway). 

In general, the synergy between Klipsch speakers and tube amplifiers is outstanding.  If you have never experienced the combination, you are in for a real treat (assuming the DB212 is working correctly). 

Maynard

Thank you for the very insightful replies, and the mini history lesson.

I've never really measured this room...yet, but it is on the small side. I don't perceive it as a lively room, a bit on the dry side but not dead. The current speakers are about 6.5 feet from each other, within a foot of a wall, with my listening spot around 9ft (+/- a foot) from them. Luckily for my future self, the downstairs and one side neighbor; "ear bleeding" levels are NOT being considered. :-)

I will get to audition the amp this Saturday and I will keep your advice in mind to check in what condition the electronics are in.

darren