Crossover testing

Trippigs

Is there any way to test the preformance of a crossover with a multimeter? I have a pair of 1985 vintage Industrial LaScala loudspeakers and the AL3 crossovers are original. I understand they are not likely to be in spec but would like to determine this empirically  rather than sonically. Any thoughts?

Talk to Bob Crites. I would imagine he would analyze your crossover for a reasonable fee. Fluke has a 117 multi meter that will check ohms. diodes and capacitors. Check EBay for prices. It will not do larger value caps well though and no ESR measurement. The Fluke was over 10% off what I measured with a B&K 885 on caps 30uf and up. Every crossover cap that old I have  measured has had high ESR on the caps even if they were in spec otherwise.

Since the crossovers are not "text book" and you don't really know the curves, you would need to either guess or test component by component.  

You could at least substitute resistors in the network if you had a frequency generator and measure the drop across the resistors at the particular frequencies to figure out what was happening, provided you had a good multimeter (true rms or something). Then you could at least compare both crossovers to be the same.

You really would need the right equipment and measure across each leg of the crossover.  Either way, you will need more than what you probably have and it is a tedious method using a multimeter.

Definitely above my skill set.

I previously spoke with Bob Crites and purchased his CT 120 tweeters. We discussed getting new replacement crossovers as well but I did not ask about testing the original ones. Normally I would be skeptical about asking someone who sells new products to test my old products for function....but not with Bob as his sterling reputation is well deserved.