New in my Life Raising Chickens

joessportster

So while this seems trite, I am having a grand time watching these little fowl grow and learn. I used to think dogs / cats etc... were funny, They dont have anything on these crazy chicks

This is a learning experience for me I have never had chickens before and I am going mostly on common sense, We lost our dog a few weeks back and I thought What are we going to do with the kennel, a 20 foot by 10 foot chain link enclosure, We went to TSC and bought 12 chicks. I put them on the front porch inside a makeshift brooder (stacked cinder blocks to make an enclosure in the corner) set in a feeder and water, some pine shavings bedding and a heat lamp. will update more as time goes...............

Anyone with any advice certainly welcomed

• Like 3

I'm your huckleberry.. This will be our third season with chickens. We also have guineas, ducks, and raised turkeys for the holidays last year. We harvest eggs and meat, have hatched our own, built two different coops, dealt with about five different predators, and pretty much been winging it as we go. Currently  we have about two dozen hens and five roosters.

Backyard chickens forum above is a good resource, along with some chicken groups on reddit. Fell free to reach out as you have specific questions, otherwise I run the risk of information vomiting on you.

• Like 2

I whole-heartedly encourage you guys to pursue, but make sure you outline your objectives before you buy the first chick. Ours are a food source so we've picked breeds that meet those goals, built structures for specific time periods, buy certain feeds, and designated certain flocks for specific usage so that we have an appropriate level of care and attachment. Other people raise them as pets and make decisions accordingly. It also guides how and when we grow the flock(s).

At the very least, don't just buy one. They're social creatures and need several birds in the flock to ensure good social structure and health.

• Like 2

this group tends to be more of the "chickens are people too" persuasion: https://www.reddit.com/r/BackYardChickens/ but can be a good resource for diagnosing chicken ailments and basic care. They'll spare no expense to save a sick chicken and usually run me off when I suggest merely culling a bird to save time and money.

this one is more generalist and has a cross section of pets/food people. Good resources for infrastructure, equipment, and general chicken info: https://www.reddit.com/r/chickens/

I bought a dozen to start, 1 was killed shortly after moving them outside when a full sheet of plywood blew over on top of it. (My youngest got pretty upset) I got these strictly for eggs and to sort of get my feet wet. I also want to raise some for meat but I am taking baby steps, I built a sort of coup / run, but plan to free range them during the day once old enough

I grow weary of the salmonella eggs from the market. I started buying egglands best a few years ago when the first (Known to me) outbreak happened, Yesterday I learned 200 million eggs were recalled last week here in NC 

Are they small chickens?

If so, the diet is somewhat different than for the grown ups.

You have small number of them, so if you have a chance give them a space to run around and eat some grass, sand etc. they like it and it is good for them.

Clean the hen house regularly. Good for the chickens and for yours and theirs health. The manure from chickens is also a very good fertilizer.

If you live in the country beware of predators (foxes, hawks etc). You may loose more of the chickens. If so, keep them inside (closed) during the night. It is also a good thing to have a dog around in the yard.

Living here in the sand hills of NC with long needle pines everywhere I am thinking about using those needles for bedding in the coop / nesting boxes,  Its free Just get the boys busy with a rake................Any thoughts ?

as far as feed goes mine are still on the starter mix once that runs out the local TSC has recommended there brand. Thoughts ?