MCM 1900 set up

Dave A

Some time in the next few weeks I am going to get my MCM's up and running. It came with a crossover so I think I am set there. What I am wondering is where do I place the MSM and MMTM's for best sound? Also if for the sake of space I end up standing the MWM's up on one end and the MSM and MMTM's next to it will I ruin the sound potential? I guess I can always put them on carts and roll them out of the way when I am done listening. I had read the size of these things before I got them but it was still a bit shocking to see them in person the first time.

They will be shoehorned into an area of my shop near to where I normally work. The amplification at this time is a single Crown xli 800 which with the Klipsch crossover should be enough to drive me out of there. I am hoping for now to avoid the multiple amp DSP and whatever else might be desirable for what is just basically needed to run it.

Pictures tomorrow dwillie. I set them up today and they get stupidly loud with far less than 200 watts per channel. Pounding bass but not as musical as I wished and I know the environment they are in does not help. Plus the crossovers have all those old yellow caps from TI that all seem to have high ESR so that need to be redone to. I would REALLY like to hear from people who have set these up and what you did.

Here you go dwillie. I looked into one crossover and they were the best caps I have ever seen on something this old. Within 3% and the highest ESR was .007. Not going to bother with the other one.  Still looking for info on setting these up right if anyone cares to respond.

MCM 1900 in shop.jpg

On 4/17/2018 at 1:05 AM, parlophone1 said:

Where are you placing them?

What will be the amplification and setup?

Interesting to see...

Yesterday and today I fired them up. Using a Crown xli 800 which produces 200 watts per channel 8 ohm and the stock Klipsch crossover. Depending on the song it loafed along at 1/4 full power being to loud to others using almost half the output to become a bit to loud. Van Halen at one half out put had me frantically scrambling for the volume control. I think one day next week I am going to roll these to an open shop door and give it the full 200 watts. When Klipsch said lots of sound with low power requirements they surely meant it here. The LSI's I just sold and my KP-450's both rate higher in one watt one meter db but still these MCM with a lower rating easily out do them same output from amp.

8 hours ago, richieb said:

--- is that a CNC lathe peeking in the background ?!

Yes a Haas TL-2. You turn the other way and there is a Haas VF4 which is what I am cutting my drop in K-77 tweeter replacements on.