McIntosh MA252 Tube solid state integrated

SonicSeeker

That was my point......neither way, I was just somewhat neutral about it.  And, to be honest, they don't have the greatest listening setup either.  The room is absolutely crammed with gear and somewhat claustrophobic.....The protective cages around the tubes, and the lighting from the bottom of the tubes doesn't exactly turn me on either....I'm sure in the right room with complimentary gear it would be just fine.

6 minutes ago, BOBO1957 said:

Just an observation on this.  The output transformer on my 60W mono block tuber weighs more than this Macintosh offering.  Usually takes two men and a boy to pick a MAC up!  :D  Also green is not my color for tube glow.

I believe the green glow of the tube is actually an LED below the tube itself.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I believe the green glow of the tube is actually an LED below the tube itself.

Think I read in link it turns red when near clipping point. Maybe a separate led. The beauty may be the weight and the price tag. !00 watts not slouchy, in my limited opine.

3 minutes ago, billybob said:

Think I read in link it turns red when near clipping point. Maybe a separate led. The beauty may be the weight and the price tag. !00 watts not slouchy, in my limited opine.

Going from memory (danger!!) I think it also starts out orange, then when it thinks the tubes are ready, turns green as in ready to play.

• Like 1

I recently purchased one and am waiting on it to arrive. The vendor in North Little Rock will deliver to Hot Springs and set it up. Never had any McIntosh equipment so  I am pretty excited. Going to use this with Industrial LaScalas and a modified vintage AR turntable. This 2 channel setup is in my workshop which is new, clean, dry and insulated but doesn’t currently have heat and air. I do have natural gas run to it so I will likely install a small gas heater before next winter. Would you worry about using the McIntosh in this environment? I am currently using a vintage Knight tube amp and just cover it up with a light blanket when not in use.....seems to work ok. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Trippigs said:

I recently purchased one and am waiting on it to arrive. The vendor in North Little Rock will deliver to Hot Springs and set it up. Never had any McIntosh equipment so  I am pretty excited. Going to use this with Industrial LaScalas and a modified vintage AR turntable. This 2 channel setup is in my workshop which is new, clean, dry and insulated but doesn’t currently have heat and air. I do have natural gas run to it so I will likely install a small gas heater before next winter. Would you worry about using the McIntosh in this environment? I am currently using a vintage Knight tube amp and just cover it up with a light blanket when not in use.....seems to work ok. 

I think my main concerns would be first humidity, and then temperature swings.  How cold does it get inside?

18 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

I think my main concerns would be first humidity, and then temperature swings.  How cold does it get inside?

The workshop was just completed in December 2017 and it was very well insulated so this should help mitigate both concerns. However, this is central Arkansas where 20 degrees to 90 degrees is typical and summertime humidity is generally oppressive @ >80%. I don’t yet have a good feel for what the year round conditions will be inside but it was very cold in January 2018 and I was able to tinker around out there without being miserable. I will likely install a small gas heater but really don’t want to mess with AC or dehumidifier unless I have to. So cold conditions can be managed pretty easily but that leaves heat and humidity. Is there any type of removable cover to put on the McIntosh that would help?

19 hours ago, Trippigs said:

Would like your impressions when it arrives.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Trippigs said:

The workshop was just completed in December 2017 and it was very well insulated so this should help mitigate both concerns. However, this is central Arkansas where 20 degrees to 90 degrees is typical and summertime humidity is generally oppressive @ >80%. I don’t yet have a good feel for what the year round conditions will be inside but it was very cold in January 2018 and I was able to tinker around out there without being miserable. I will likely install a small gas heater but really don’t want to mess with AC or dehumidifier unless I have to. So cold conditions can be managed pretty easily but that leaves heat and humidity. Is there any type of removable cover to put on the McIntosh that would help?

Again, I think humidity is your greatest concern.  I would not put any covers over that doesn't allow it to breathe.  A pure cotton towel for now, until you decide to put A/C or a dehumidifier out there.

The light blanket I am currently using is a cotton baby blanket so I will continue using it for now. An a/c is not in cards at this point because I don’t want to cut into the walls and the windows will accept on. However, a free standing dehumidifier could work. Thanks for all the comments