McIntosh MA252 Tube solid state integrated

SonicSeeker

The McIntosh arrived today and I wanted to share a few photos. The vendor suggested I relocate the components to a new spot to shorten the speaker wires and to provide better air circulation. I just listened to The Beatles White Album and can tell the bass is more pronounced than with my vintage Knight tube amp. And I can tell the bump from 15wpc to 105wpc. I am not too verbose about audio but I like this McIntosh. Also, I think it is beautiful!

C9891FAB-193A-4D69-8CD8-BCD2D277CE03.jpeg

24235A3A-C56A-4ACB-BB37-AC89C4CD1CB6.jpeg

382D3AD8-847F-4A07-9E78-22E86D24873F.jpeg

• Like 4

On 4/23/2018 at 2:26 PM, mark1101 said:

Does anyone know what tubes it uses?  Says they are not serviceable.

The preamplifier stage uses two 12AX7a and two 12AT7 vacuum tubes housed inside stylish protective cages; the output stage is a direct coupled solid state amplifier that delivers 100 Watts per channel into 8 Ohm speakers or 160 Watts per channel into 4 Ohm speakers.

On 4/24/2018 at 3:04 PM, Trippigs said:

The McIntosh arrived today and I wanted to share a few photos. The vendor suggested I relocate the components to a new spot to shorten the speaker wires and to provide better air circulation. I just listened to The Beatles White Album and can tell the bass is more pronounced than with my vintage Knight tube amp. And I can tell the bump from 15wpc to 105wpc. I am not too verbose about audio but I like this McIntosh. Also, I think it is beautiful!

C9891FAB-193A-4D69-8CD8-BCD2D277CE03.jpeg

24235A3A-C56A-4ACB-BB37-AC89C4CD1CB6.jpeg

382D3AD8-847F-4A07-9E78-22E86D24873F.jpeg

I hope to read more about your thoughts when you have spent some time with it. It is beautiful.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:00 PM, Trippigs said:

The light blanket I am currently using is a cotton baby blanket so I will continue using it for now. An a/c is not in cards at this point because I don’t want to cut into the walls and the windows will accept on. However, a free standing dehumidifier could work. Thanks for all the comments

Think a dehumidifier would work. Have you considered one of those portable AC for your space there? Not as efficient as a wall unit but, the vent is much smaller. Thanks, and like that mirror effect on your new Mac. Enjoy!

I spent the day Wednesday visiting various high end audio stores (and a couple of very cool vintage stores). Almost by accident (was auditioning various speakers), I ended up listening to the 252.  Pretty much blew me away, but then I've been listening via a '77 Pioneer SX-1250 largely and my Cornwalls for a good long time. I have not had a lot of tube listening experience and that was always in a vintage store full or clutter, hard surfaces and poor listening angles. Still- unless something unforeseen happens, I see one of these in my near future.  The cages come off the tubes. I did wonder about the relatively light weight. It weighs 28 pounds while the new Outlaw RR2160 which I've been trying out weighs in at 26 lbs (apples to oranges I know) but I always think of weight when I think about McIntosh. Of course the 1250 weighs in around 50 lbs. I expect the 252 is something of a "gateway drug" for tubes.

Edited by dbomberger
Misspelling
  • Like 1

I am a neophyte re tubes. I heard a MA252 in a good shop with a very simple setup, lots of carpet, soft furniture and wall coverings... it was excellent. I think there is one in my future. It would be interesting to hear a MA252 and a MA230 in the same setting, A/B type test. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I picked up an MA252 a few weeks ago to mate withy Modded Fortes and my HSU sub. Before I was using a high end Advantage Yamaha AVR to drive my speakers. OMG - All I can say is the MA252 sounds AMAZING. It has great punch but at the same time is smooth and warm. I had a very nice ProJect phono preamp that sounded very good but I think the phono section of the MA252 is even better. Without a doubt thisI ntegrated has shown me just how good my vintage Forte speakers can sound when driven through tubes. Not wanting to fluff too much but I have never heard a home stereo that sounds better than this. 

Plenty of power and it delivers crisp and clear, warm and smooth, great soundstage, vocals amazing, acoustic - WOW - I think it looks great, too.

Best piece of equipment I have ever bought by far. Music playing 24/7 in the house now.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I am 2 days into trying out the MA252 at home w/my Cornwall’s (vintage 1) and I really love it. I’ve been throwing all kinds of different records at it and it just keeps taking it really well. I

have a ma6900 which sounds really great as well, at 200 watts- I never really even come close to taking the 6900 where it can go. It has a bit of a warmer sound overall and of course the digi options. I 98% of the time just listen to vinyl and the 252 is perfect for my uses. The sound is also a bit more defined I notice- drums sound great and the separation is fantastic but smooth. I’m really happy. I gotta take the 252 display back to the shop tomorrow and I’m gonna buy one on the ol’ Credit card and sell off some older gear to pay for this ripper. 

• Like 2