KLF 30 or Klipsch RF-7

gesauce

I've never heard the KLF-30 and I have heard the RF-7.  The latter is outstanding, it was Klipsch's flagship reference speaker in its day and it's still solid today.

Given everything I've read the RF-7 is the better speaker, especially for the same price.

• Like 1

KLF30 will sound better than the RF7 and can sound better than the RF7 II though you need to make sure the cabinets are solid and components are good.  Also to show the superiority of the KLF30 you will need a large room.  Mine sit in a 20x22 ft room that is open to the rear.  The room as you have likely seen elsewhere is key.

If you don't have a large room and / or like more in your face highs with less presence, go for the RF7 unless you know how to tweak crossovers.

• Like 2

I owned three pairs of RF-7'S before the two pairs of KLF-30'S I own now.

The KLF-30'S with solid cabinets alone will outperform the 7's and possibly sound better depending on your ear and personal taste.

Do the standard upgrades to the KLF-30 and they will be everything you wish the 7's could be.....and more.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've had both, including 20's and a full system including multiple KLF C7s and even a custom 20 center. I can with certainty that the KLF 20 is better than the 30 and the RF7 for 2 channel music. I'm sure the room has a lot to do with it though.

For Home Theater though I'm using a combination of (4) RF7's, (3) RC7's and a pair of RS7's and frankly in that application the KLF's take a back seat. I know you aren't going there but thought I'd share my experience.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

I can with certainty that the KLF 20 is better than the 30 and the RF7 for 2 channel music.

I don't know much about either.  In my world larger is usually better.  In what way(s) is the 20 better than the 30? 

It may not be fair since I’ve only heard the RF-7 twice, but they sounded harsh to me. I own three pair of KLF 30 and a pair of KLF 20 and I absolutely love them. The balance that the three way KLF speakers give and bottom end that most Klipsch speakers lack puts them at the top of my list. My rooms can’t take on a large footprint like the KHorns, Belles or La Scalas so the KLF to me are the next best thing.

Like said in another post above, make sure the cabinets are solid and all drivers are working and these speakers will make you very happy.

Tim

0ba914248c72e6ec5abc509f73a4c94c.jpg11cb65af2abe98b5d43fef7d3053162a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't know much about either.  In my world larger is usually better.  In what way(s) is the 20 better than the 30? 

I think the bass is a little tighter on the 20’s so that may be the reasons he feels that way Dave. If you have a big enough room the 30 bass is less boomy, at least that is my feelings on it.
5aa2103efe1e29b9754126828dca4d51.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, teaman said:

I think the bass is a little tighter on the 20’s so that may be the reasons he feels that way Dave. If you have a big enough room the 30 bass is less boomy, at least that is my feelings on it.
5aa2103efe1e29b9754126828dca4d51.jpg

We may never know what's behind those doors... :lol:

• Haha 2

I've had both, including 20's and a full system including multiple KLF C7s and even a custom 20 center. I can with certainty that the KLF 20 is better than the 30 and the RF7 for 2 channel music. I'm sure the room has a lot to do with it though.  

For Home Theater though I'm using a combination of (4) RF7's, (3) RC7's and a pair of RS7's and frankly in that application the KLF's take a back seat. I know you aren't going there but thought I'd share my experience.

There was a time that I had 20's, 30's and 7's all in the same room at the same time. 

As far a two-channel listening goes, the 7's were never even in contention. Too harsh on the top end and while their bass was adequate, it was wimpy compared to the KLF's.

At that time I preferred the sound quality of the 20's. They were sweeter mainly because the bass was punchier. Otherwise they sounded like 30's......but smaller sounding.

Fast forward seven years or so and my 30's with the 'Ultimate' upgrades sound, bass wise....much more like the 20's but on steroids.

To be honest, when I had the 7's I liked them despite the harsh top end. However, that day that I brought the 30's home and listened to both side by side, the 7's were kind of a joke in comparison. The 30's walked all over them that day. Sad but true.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Punchier, actually sounds like it has more bass but probably because it's more balanced. The 30's in comparison sound a bit more flabby and not as lively. Maybe it needs a bigger room hence my comment " I'm sure the room has a lot to do with it though".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SWL said:

There was a time that I had 20's, 30's and 7's all in the same room at the same time. 

As far a two-channel listening goes, the 7's were never even in contention. Too harsh on the top end and while their bass was adequate, it was wimpy compared to the KLF's.

At that time I preferred the sound quality of the 20's. They were sweeter mainly because the bass was punchier. Otherwise they sounded like 30's......but smaller sounding.

Fast forward seven years or so and my 30's with the 'Ultimate' upgrades sound, bass wise....much more like the 20's but on steroids.

To be honest, when I had the 7's I liked them despite the harsh top end. However, that day that I brought the 30's home and listened to both side by side, the 7's were kind of a joke in comparison. The 30's walked all over them that day. Sad but true.

I have my KLF-20 pulling main duty in my home theater and they do a fantastic as mains. I have RB-81 set up as heights and RS-52 ii as back surrounds with a pair of R-12SW subs and in my odd shaped room with a corner fireplace they sound amazing. For music they sound even better!

Tim

• Like 1

I've owned both klf30s and rf7s. I didn't own the rf7s long and I still have my klf30s. The highs were too harsh in the 7s, and you needed a ton of power to bring out the mid-range frequencies. We were listening to the 7s, and we could barely hear the vocals in the song using my vintage Sony integrated amp (40 wpc). I hooked up a vintage Carver amp (300 wpc) to my Sony (used the Sony as a preamp) and then we could hear the vocals. The klf30s have a dedicated mid-range, so they produce an even sound effortlessly.

• Like 1

The KLFs (20 and 30) along with the larger CF, were the sleepers of the Klipsch lines.  Klipsch would do right by offering them again though when you look at the current prices of Forte and Cornwall along with the multi woofer configuration, figure them to be more than twice their original prices.

Bad part about Klipsch offering them again is that would drive the prices up on the used market, as with Forte and Cornwall.... The good and the bad.

• Like 2