New center

juddthejuice

Hey all, I had a R-25C as my center. I recently contacted crutchfield about an upgrade. They pointed me in the direction of a RC-62ii or a 440C. After about 40 minutes of talking with them we determined for my set up the 62 would work better as my center is mounted to the wall.

Wanted your guys thoughts on that? I’m excited to try it but I’m hoping I made a good choice.

My 25 just was lacking. It sounded meh. I wanted something a little more ballsy. I wanted Vader’s voice to boom at me.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, juddthejuice said:

Hey all, I had a R-25C as my center. I recently contacted crutchfield about an upgrade. They pointed me in the direction of a RC-62ii or a 440C. After about 40 minutes of talking with them we determined for my set up the 62 would work better as my center is mounted to the wall.

Wanted your guys thoughts on that? I’m excited to try it but I’m hoping I made a good choice.

My 25 just was lacking. It sounded meh. I wanted something a little more ballsy. I wanted Vader’s voice to boom at me.

Thoughts?

What is your setup that you will be "matching" with the RC-62II?

Bill

8 hours ago, juddthejuice said:

Thoughts?

We don't know what are you running as fronts, but my RC-62 perfectly matches RF-82's.

Some time ago I read that you need to get a center and sub as big as you can afford. :)

• Like 1

If it were me, I'd say your better choice would be the RP-450C.  That's not knocking the 62, as it's a phenomenal speaker, but the 450C will match better with your RP-150M's than the 62 will.  The 450C uses the same drivers which will sound much better across your front soundstage.

If it were me, I'd say your better choice would be the RP-450C.  That's not knocking the 62, as it's a phenomenal speaker, but the 450C will match better with your RP-150M's than the 62 will.  The 450C uses the same drivers which will sound much better across your front soundstage.

Thank you. 440 and 450 were not really options. Mainly because my speaker is up against the wall and the back firing port has no room to “breathe” not my words.

Because the 62 has a front port that made more sense.

Right?

Yes and no.  You will get some benefits with bass reflex with the ports being in the front, but you may also get benefits from plugging the port on the 450 to make it a sealed design.  With the center, my thoughts would be the priority of the drivers matching as they pan across the front soundstage - the most active - would be much more important than bass response from a speaker that you're going to cross into the sub anyway.

• Like 2

Yes and no.  You will get some benefits with bass reflex with the ports being in the front, but you may also get benefits from plugging the port on the 450 to make it a sealed design.  With the center, my thoughts would be the priority of the drivers matching as they pan across the front soundstage - the most active - would be much more important than bass response from a speaker that you're going to cross into the sub anyway.

Wow. Ok. So what would a sealed design mean? Sorry I am very new at this.

1 minute ago, juddthejuice said:

Basically you stuff some foam in the port of the 450.  That way you aren't putting holes in the cabinet and damaging it.  Ported designs for centers are nice, but I question the need due to the general XO on most of the speakers and the usual roll-off at 80 Hz.

• Like 1

Also the reason I decided on the 62 was very much because the dude at crutchfield was very specific that the sound stage had similar timbres and sound.

Ughhhh!

5 minutes ago, juddthejuice said:

Also the reason I decided on the 62 was very much because the dude at crutchfield was very specific that the sound stage had similar timbres and sound.

Ughhhh!

From the feedback I heard that is anything but true.  The horn in of itself is different, and the port designs are also different.  They may be similar in timbre, but they wouldn't be nearly as seamless as the 450.  Again, the 62 is a fantastic speaker, and I have no problems recommending it when all else fails, but if you had the option and the budget, the 450 is the speaker designed to mate with your configuration.

• Like 2

From the feedback I heard that is anything but true.  The horn in of itself is different, and the port designs are also different.  They may be similar in timbre, but they wouldn't be nearly as seamless as the 450.  Again, the 62 is a fantastic speaker, and I have no problems recommending it when all else fails, but if you had the option and the budget, the 450 is the speaker designed to mate with your configuration.

Seriously, thank you for your help!

13 hours ago, The History Kid said:

Basically you stuff some foam in the port of the 450.  That way you aren't putting holes in the cabinet and damaging it.  Ported designs for centers are nice, but I question the need due to the general XO on most of the speakers and the usual roll-off at 80 Hz.

13 hours ago, The History Kid said:

13 hours ago, juddthejuice said:

Seriously, thank you for your help!

He knows his stuff, and has sound advice :D