PC computer question

joessportster

So I am upgrading my old acer to a newer Dell Optiplex 7010, it has 8 gb ram, intel i-5 processor, 3tb hard drive, usb-3 (main reason for the upgrade) Windows 10, but it does not have SPDIF and I want that.

I know there are PC nerds here (Thad :D) someone please point me in the right direction, I can install parts and load software just not real up to snuff when it comes to  Knowing I have a compatible part.

A link would be great, I am not looking for anything super HiFi, just a decent spdif that will connect seamlessly to the pc and my Dac.  Thanks Guys

I'm curious about the SPDIF thing, too. I'll probably be getting another computer soon. The Dell/Windows 10 laptop I'm using now doesn't have SPDIF so I've been using an IFI Microlink USB-SPDIF converter for the last few years with no complaints.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes it does Carl but my dac does not support HDMI, I am trying to cut down on clutter, I currently have outboard hard drives and docks as well as I was using a converter

I want to get down to just a digital Coax from PC to My dac (which is older but I love it so it stays) 

Joe

7 minutes ago, joessportster said:

Yes it does Carl but my dac does not support HDMI, I am trying to cut down on clutter, I currently have outboard hard drives and docks as well as I was using a converter

I want to get down to just a digital Coax from PC to My dac (which is older but I love it so it stays) 

Joe

This is what I use.  It's a pretty small piece of gear and could be put just about anywhere.  Works great.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13349&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzPad2OfG2gIVB4RpCh1NnwK6EAQYBCABEgJj1_D_BwE

I use HDMI from my NVIDIA GTX970 card to a Marantz SR7007 and change my settings to 24/192 resolution and disable all enhancements. Mostly run the Marantz in Pure Direct mode, but now and then turn on the sub with stereo mode. The DAC in the SR7007 is pretty good, but i don't think it's DSD capable and i have a lot of SACD rips that i guess are only playing up to 24/192.  I would like to see what the big hoopla is about asynchronous USB to a separate high quality DAC. 

I believe optical cable only does CD, 16/44 resolution.  Could be wrong about that. Maybe 24/96 resolution. 

Only outputs on the pc are the HDMI, usb 2 & 3, and the mini 3.5 for headphones and mic...............Dell wants $$$$ to talk (pc is out of warranty), no way to just connect a spdif header, that seems to leave the option of a complete sound card or a converter.....................converter is much easier

Looks like I will give the Schiit EITR a go at least it re sells high on head-fi, people paying 80-90% of new cost for used.