15” vs 12” klipsch subwoofer

dubs

My assessment of subs has always been that smaller drivers can deliver a better punch, but won't punch nearly as deep.  That tends to be why you see a lot of recommendations for the 6" designs in the Klipsch lineups versus the 8".  I know when I upgraded from my 12" Polk sub to the RSW-10 - I heard a huge sound change that I enjoyed, but I also know going from the 10 to the 15 sounded equally as "better."

I think they each have their applications.  Both can be punchy, both can be boomy.  Depends on placement, design, things like that.

2 minutes ago, willland said:

This here will give you all the punch you could ever want, and it's an 18"

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ele/d/velodyne-dd-18-cherry-cabinet/6536831775.html

Bill

Can't beat a good ol' fashioned 72" woofer though...

the+biggest+speaker.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, dubs said:

You think that getting a 12” and a 15” would be more beneficial than getting two 15”? Maybe best of both worlds? 

I don't know that it'd be better.  I don't think it'd be worse than having just a 15" though.  I ran both a 10 and a 15 for a while until the 10 sold, and have little in the way of problems.  I attribute that to the fact that the subs were of the same series.  The only thing I'd say is, you'd have to manually turn off the 15 if it was being too boomy during music playback.

The R-11x series of subs I haven't taken a shine to, they seem to be more movie oriented than the old RSW line - that may be the actual reason I haven't warmed up to them either.  I suppose you could always have an extra sub on the side for a smaller setup someplace else if the 12 doesn't work out in your main setup.  Just seems like a bit of money to spend for an experiment that may not work without a backup plan.

I don't know how you're running your gear but if you're using Audyssey, that could be why you get

a low rumbling, which I find irritating.

That's why I tune my system manually.

I get greater control. I like the sub for music and it can be overpowering on TV.

I do not know why TV people have to have Thump Thump Thump in all their audio.

Gives me a headache.

Unlike most here, my system does dual duty.

No separate system for music or theater.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dubs said:

You think that getting a 12” and a 15” would be more beneficial than getting two 15”? Maybe best of both worlds? 

That is a possibility but overall I think you should just add another R-115SW to the mix if you are able.  Just invest some time in getting it "right".

If you look at my system profile specifically my family room rig, you will notice I have a pair of Klipsch RT-10d's(2 passive 10", 1 active 10"), a single SVS SB13 Plus(sealed 13"), and a Revel B15(sealed 15").  Pretty eclectic in the subwoofer department.  Definitely not an easy task blending all of them together but through much trial and error, it sounds pretty smooth.  I use different settings(low pass, phase, volume) on all the subs for music and for HT.  My room is a pretty "live" room so it can bet a bit boomy for music if the RT-10d's are tucked too deep in the corners.

Bill

The argument for smaller drivers delivering more punch is just not true. 

A well designed 15" will be better than an equally designed 12". A larger cone area can be lighter, therefore more efficient, having less distortion and the ability to move more air. Smaller drivers must be heavier to have the same amount of punch or low-end reach of a larger driver.

Find yourself a really well designed 18" woofer and you won't ever say a 6,8,12, etc. has more punch.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, The History Kid said:

My assessment of subs has always been that smaller drivers can deliver a better punch, but won't punch nearly as deep. 

Just not true anymore, a pro audio 21" can have some crazy punch and there's 11" subs that dig super low.  This was only true in the 90's when subwoofer technology sucked.  

• Thanks 1

Just not true anymore, a pro audio 21" can have some crazy punch and there's 11" subs that dig super low.  This was only true in the 90's when subwoofer technology sucked.  
My overall assumption is that it really just depends on placement and design, rather than size.
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2018 at 6:51 PM, The History Kid said:
On 4/20/2018 at 6:16 PM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

My overall assumption is that it really just depends on placement and design, rather than size.

My wife says placement and size are both important.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2018 at 12:06 AM, rebuy said:

I don't know how you're running your gear but if you're using Audyssey, that could be why you get

a low rumbling, which I find irritating.

That's why I tune my system manually.

I get greater control. I like the sub for music and it can be overpowering on TV.

I do not know why TV people have to have Thump Thump Thump in all their audio.

Gives me a headache.

Unlike most here, my system does dual duty.

No separate system for music or theater.

What sub do you rock? And what settings do you use? Lowpass dial at what freq. and pass° switch at 0° or 180°? And gain is set at? Internal crossover? I’m trying to tweak these things best I can for more movie/TV/Gaming, but some music. Any info would be great. Thanks