What I really, realy, really, really, really miss about...

thebes

...not being  a kid.

Skipping.

To this day, on those rare occasions I see a kid skipping down the street, I'm transported. Don't ask me why but that movement, the energy, the sheer joy of skipping still ranks as one of the most wonderful thrills of my life.

So Thebes, go ahead and skip you say. I can't! I know how it's supposed to go, there is nothing physically to prevent me from skipping, but try as I might I just can't do it. I certainly wouldn't be embarrassed by such a public display. Hell, I"m pretty sure if started skipping down the street, a dozen Boomers would toddle out of their house to join me.

I guess it fled, or my body somehow unlearned it, about the time all my teeth came in.

Or was it puberty?

Doesn't matter.  It was a joy experienced.  Memories to be held close.

So What do you miss about being a kid?

I don't want to sound like a show-off but I can still skip. Even if I couldn't, I would feel too awful about it - there are some pretty special forms of adult entertainment that are way way more gratifying than skipping down the sidewalk. YMMV. 

9 hours ago, sputnik said:

adult entertainment

Oh, tell me more?

I also miss tree climbing. It was a popular pastime in my neighborhood.  Sometimes there'd be half a dozen of us or more scrambling up a nearby collection of great climbing trees.

When I moved into my current neighborhood years ago, the local kids would come to ask if they could climb my tree, a Japanese Maple just perfect for the wee ones. Of course I said yes.

7 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Toy aisles in grocery stores. My mom used to leave me there when she did her weekly shopping trip and I'd play with the stuff that wasn't in a package, agonizing over the action figures and which would be my next purchase once I had enough allowance saved up.

--- The adult version is still there and don't tell us you don't play there - ice cream aisle, snack aisle, cookie aisle --- ??

• Like 1