New Honda Mower

willland

I have been stewing over buying a new lawnmower for some time.  My "entry level" Honda has served me well for a decade or more.  Reliable, first pull starting, just a joy to use(if you consider spending 3 hrs plus every Saturday during the summer in 92+ degrees and 80%+ humidity a joy).  I loaned my Honda out to a friend to use for a while and when I got it back it just was not the same.  Weird noises, stretched cable, and a few other annoying things.  Not the same mower that I loaned him.  

I seriously considered dropping it off to a Honda repair facility and let them diagnose all the things that need repairing.  I know it needs four new wheels, oil change, new blade, and whatever is causing the strange noises and slower operating speed.  My bet the minimum $$$ would be close to $250.00 or more to get it up to spec.  Not a huge amount for such a reliable product but still some uncertainty what is really wrong with the mower.

I spent over 3 hours in HD this morning looking at the Honda mowers they had in store, watching YouTube video reviews, reading reviews, and talking to a very informed HD employee.  Even after all that I was still undecided what to do.  Along came a very nice gentleman customer who saw me playing with one of the Honda mowers.  He said(in a Brooklyn accent), "great mower, great mower, you can't beat a Honda."  I said that I have been very pleased with my 10+ year old mower and was considering breaking down and buying another.  He said, "Do it, I bought the same exact mower a few months ago and I could not be happier with my purchase."  He went to to say that his 9 year old Honda was starting to need repairs so he bit the bullet and bought another one.

I went on and inquired about the things he liked about the Honda and said everything.  He then asked me was I in the military and I said no but my wife is a veteran but not sure if she carries her card around in her wallet.  He said "no worries, I'll let you use my veteran's discount, 10% is 10%."  

So needless to say, I brought home this baby.

https://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers/models/hrx217vka

honda-self-propelled-lawn-mowers-hrx217vka-64_1000.jpg

Bill

• Like 6

--- about the time Honda introduced their first mowers, a couple lifetimes ago for me, a buddy and I started what became a fairly successful lawn maintenance company, bought several Honda self propelled mowers from Honda power dealers. This before the big box stores were allowed to carry Honda. We literally ran those things until all that left was the deck/ motor. Then they went big box, they ain't the same mowers as Honda dealers sell. I had more than one dealer tell me that those first mowers were so overbuilt in order to develop their reputation in that market that they lost money on those early mowers. I bought what will be be my last mower about 10 years ago from a Honda dealer, self propelled commercial built much like those first models. It's a friggin' brute for a walk behind and like you Ceptor it was stored all winter, tank empty, one pull - bingo. 

7 hours ago, richieb said:

Then they went big box, they ain't the same mowers as Honda dealers sell. I had more than one dealer tell me that those first mowers were so overbuilt in order to develop their reputation in that market that they lost money on those early mowers. I bought what will be be my last mower about 10 years ago from a Honda dealer, self propelled commercial built much like those first models. It's a friggin' brute for a walk behind and like you Ceptor it was stored all winter, tank empty, one pull - bingo. 

This is true because Honda does also have their commercial models that are sold at Honda dealers.  Most Honda dealers sell their commercial line as well as their consumer line which are still pretty overbuilt.

Bill

Got that same mower a few years ago @willland dual blades are nice! Might work good for you too if you've got that thick St Augustine in your yard. I knock the dust out of the air filter every time before I use mine, change the oil each spring, you gotta do it more `cause of the sand. Use it as the blower/vacuum for 10 X 100' of driveway, cut my 1/4 acre of grass half dozen times already this year here. Haven't made use of the "Whoopie Twist" on the back , just use the bag. Maple helicopters and that red tumbleweed in the driveway have filled a 32 gallon trash can twice this month and the honda mower keeps on ticking!

I have two Honda movers, both given to me neighbors who wanted new mowers but the Honda's just kept going and would break. No kidding. One is 20 years old, the other a bit newer. Both start on a single pull.

I would kind of like a new electric mover, but the Honda's keep going.

I used to service Honda small engines.

90HP marine down.

The lawnmowers would chew up blades.   Bad gas was the biggest problem. Particularly on the generators. I still get a little sick to my stomach well I smell it.

No experience with stuff from bb stores.

love my little Stihl chainsaw.

5 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I use ethanol free gas for all my small engine tools and toys.

I starting using this after a friend swears by it and has used it for years.  Ethanol-free gas is not on every corner from what I have seen so he said it's the next best thing. 

Image result for ethanol shield

Bill

• Like 1

I've had a commercial Honda mower for 15 years without issue. Aluminum deck, hydrostatic transmission, shaft drive, ball bearing wheels, and electric start. Best push mower ever, between the ball bearing wheels and adjustable transmission it is awesome to walk behind and reliable. Use mulching blades but still use bag sometimes as it looks like the lawn was vacuumed afterwards. So buy without fear and get the commercial models if possible.

One complaint - the little starting battery is $80. Almost what a car battery costs but never found a third party replacement. The pull start rope literally decomposed in the mower but I did not know until the rubber handle fell off. Not a problem as I just turned the key and varoom time to mow.

• Like 1

Personally,

For my grass, I have a push mower. Never thought I would be using them, when they were given to me. Before we mover here.   This place has a patch of tif-green. 

the rest of the place gets a whip sickle. Starts every time.  Quiet. No gas or string a mess with. I call it "golfing"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1