KI 396 vs RF7 III

jwc

I've done it.  I've compared 396's and RF-7II's side by side before, the 396's embarassed them pretty good, you could crank them without your ears bleeding plus midrange was more controlled, things like the snap of the kick drum and cymbal crashes were thicker and more comfortable.  The RF-7III is a much better compromise, has a non-fatiguing sound like the 396's do but are still detailed at low volume and I think the midrange has cleaned up at least somewhat.  That's really the only down side to 396's, they kind of like to be cranked.  Otherwise they're the tightest bass I've heard from a speaker with a direct radiating woofer, combine that with the K-691 and Roy's voicing magic and it's bass guitar heaven.  Run them side by side with RF-7III's though and at low volume the details and dynamics are better on the RF-7III.  Once they are well broken in though that could change.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jwc said:

Great response.  I did think the 396's are snappy.  

Seems the 396's might be the best value in the new speaker lineup.

I was listening to Pink Floyd on mine this past weekend.  They have incredible detail as well as being snappy and the ability to get incredibly loud while being clear.  I have 550 watts a side on them and they seem to just eat it up and spit out as much crystal clear volume as you'd ever need.

• Like 1