24 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Yes sir, they are very expensive to produce.

No doubt I am a novice, but that's why I've come here. 

If autoformers are are found on the more expensive amps, would that not make them more desirable?

I get some people like chocolate ice cream others vanilla, but are there scenarios, where cost is not a factor, that someone chooses direct coopled? 

Do people with higher end amps seek out a direct coupled amp for thier systems to have on hand?

8 hours ago, Gs1058 said:

No doubt I am a novice, but that's why I've come here. 

If autoformers are are found on the more expensive amps, would that not make them more desirable?

I get some people like chocolate ice cream others vanilla, but are there scenarios, where cost is not a factor, that someone chooses direct coopled? 

Do people with higher end amps seek out a direct coupled amp for thier systems to have on hand?

I have excellent hearing, and a keen sense of musical nuance that has been honed by a lifetime obsession w/ music.  ..Still, I can not hear one iota of difference b/w my Mac MA6600 and my NAD 375Bee. ..One has autoformers, the other doesn't.   ..I'm all for buying Mac gear, but I don't believe that it sounds any better (or worse) than any other modern day gear.  In fact, I don't think their tube gear sounds audibly different either!  ..Once THD and S/N ratios approach a certain threshold, our ability to discern differences disappears.  I was at a Audio dealer some time ago and even the salesperson confided that he could not reliably distinguish Mac S/S gear from their tube gear, which is engineered to low distortion and linear.

So I wouldn't get hung up on autoformers, etc..  just go and listen, and bring a healthy amount of skepticism.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ODS123 said:

Hi OP, ..what did you decide?

Havent pulled the trigger just yet, but I am 90% settled on MC152. I wanted to stick with separates. Power seems like a good fit. whatever processor I go with should have ability to play stereo mode. 

While looking into the ma5300 I also discovered the new ma252 (looks sharp). Both units had appeal but what ultimately is turning me away would be the 100w/ per channel.  When switching from stereo to power my home theater fronts, I would feel more comfortable with a little headroom. 

I also called audiocalssics and inquired about an mc8207, mc205 & mc207, reasonable prices but I'm nervous buying used & also have incentive to purchase new( can use almost $1k in gift cards)

Anyone think I am making a mistake? 

IMG_0086.PNG

On 4/25/2018 at 11:14 PM, Gs1058 said:

Anyone think I am making a mistake? 

IMG_0086.PNG

A mistake? Heck no, you'll be happy w/ any of those mentioned.  ..It's just that by going w/ a Mac Integrated (like the MA5300, not the tube one above as it does not have home theater pass through) you can use just the Mac when you're listening to 2-channel audio.  ..By getting the amp only, you'll have to use your AVR.

As for wattage, I'd be very surprised if you ever get near 20-30 watts, let alone 100.  ..And I love cranking my music and movies.  ..Your speakers are incredibly efficient.  Maybe a dealer would allow you to bring a demo unit home to try in your system?

• 1 year later...

Great discussion. I am thinking of Cornwall III and a Mcintosh, which one is the question, just like GS1058. 

<Need> Power Cornwall III (so 50WPC)
<Want> Unbalanced fixed output for Analog to Digital capturing 
<Want> Upgradable digital stage

MA5300
+ least expense. Has upgradable DA1, 100WPC
- no Unbalanced Fixed Output, single Balanced Variable Output

MAC7200
+ Has upgradable DA1, 2 Balanced Variable Outputs 
- 200WPC, no Unbalanced Fixed Output, 40% more than the MA5300 in price, Receiver is not ‘needed’

MA8900
+ Has upgradable DA1, 2 Balanced Variable Outputs, 1 Unbalanced Fixed Output
- 200WPC, more than the MAC7200 in price, 5 Tone Balance is not ‘needed’

C49 & MC152 & Balanced patch cords
+ Has upgradable DA1, 2 Balanced Variable Outputs, 1 Unbalanced Fixed Output, 150WPC and amplifier could be upgraded separate (not as a mono-block)
- Most expensive, suspect 2x MA5300 in cost

My largest concern is that the Cornwalls are listed at 100W MAX, and I would toast them by accident with a simple twist to the right of the volume knob verse the left turn....