Amp for LS ll's opinion/sugestions plz.

RadBlue

Hi all, I have a pair of LaScala ll's arriving in a few days along with this https://www.paradigm.com/products-archived/model=sub-15/page=overview sub, and after some searching I came up with

this http://ca.marantz.com/ca/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVSeparates&ProductId=MM7025    amp to go with it.

I'm mainly going for  2 channel stereo listening so not real concerned about movies although I will use for that also.

I like real loud (if and when I can get the house to my self )so some headroom would be nice(power wise).

Also I'm a SS guy so plz no tube suggestions ( no offence intended to the tube guys :) ). 

Budget is in the 1000- 1500 cnd range.

What I'm looking for is some opinions on the MM7025 with LS ll's, or some other possible suggestions plz.

thnx in advance.

Guest wdecho

For serious listening Class A but for the masses the Marantz is probably OK. I made the mistake of spending big bucks for LaScala's years ago and not spending wisely on amplification. I am a diy amplifier builder and last year built a couple of the best reviewed class A/B amplifier circuits and they did sound OK but when listening with class A it was though a veil was lifted from the sound. 

(edited b/c I missed part of your op) 

given their high efficiency it should be easy to find something that drives these cleanly to the ear-blistering levels you want.  ..My Mac integrated can drive my Cornwalls to visit-from-the-cops loud without ever exceeding 10 watts.  Do you have a pre-amp?

1 hour ago, RadBlue said:

What I'm looking for is some opinions on the MM7025 with LS ll's, or some other possible suggestions plz.

I think that Marantz would be fine with LaScala II's.

What will you be using for a preamp, AVR, or processor?

Bill

Not until I paired my LSii's with tube amplification did they really begin to reach their full potential... but Marantz would be fine, if you didn't know the difference. If you want solid state I would suggest Class D.

40913987354_29ba6f80f0_k.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, willland said:

I think that Marantz would be fine with LaScala II's.

What will you be using for a preamp, AVR, or processor?

Bill

For pre-amp atm I have either this http://www.onkyo.ca/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR676&class=Receiver&source=prodClass   or  https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/products/hifi-and-home-cinema/dacmagic-plus  to choose from on hand. In a nutshell in Dec I bought a set of RF-7lll's and did a lot of knee jerk purchases on a budget,now a good deal came up on the LS's and this time I'm trying to do a better job of it, I figured to start with the amp. Over time I can save up for other parts to go with it.

I cleaned out my savings on the RF-7 lll's and stuff  and am dipping into RSP's for the LS's...so need to sell the RF7's and other stuff to get my finances back in order before I go past the amp.

.....the bug bite my hard this winter lol

3 hours ago, Schu said:

Not until I paired my LSii's with tube amplification did they really begin to reach their full potential... but Marantz would be fine, if you didn't know the difference. If you want solid state I would suggest Class D.

I was gonna go D class for my RF7-lll's ,was gonna save up for a pair of Hypex NC-400 mono blocks,hmmm too much power for the LS's or should I put them back in the possibile list ?

TBH tubes may come some time in the future, but for now I'm tryin to stick to what I know better sound wise,also my head just about rdy to explode as is with out tossing them into the mix now :)

5 hours ago, ricktate said:

I vote for one of these.....https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/brand_category/integra/1.html or Parasound from Cory ....Emotiva would be good also. I run my Scalas with 25 watt 1970s HK 430 or a dynaco ST70.......

Cool I need to check Integrea  out more , Parasound is a ***** to get in Canada, Emotiva also pulled out of Canada but now seems they will ship direct this is a serious option as I can expand on channels  and add a processor later if I decide to go HT set up, But also would break the budget unless I could find used.

6 hours ago, ODS123 said:

(edited b/c I missed part of your op) 

given their high efficiency it should be easy to find something that drives these cleanly to the ear-blistering levels you want.  ..My Mac integrated can drive my Cornwalls to visit-from-the-cops loud without ever exceeding 10 watts.  Do you have a pre-amp?

Would love a Mac but waaaaayyy out of budget lol, if I opened that door I'm also in Anthem territory

After doing some more research based on your suggestions and consumer reviews of sound quality I decided to order this  https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/xpa-2-gen3

I know its way more power than I need but the quality and expandability/versatility weighted in heavy on the decision. Also buying new factory direct was only slightly over budget.

Once again thank you all for your input.

1 hour ago, RadBlue said:

After doing some more research based on your suggestions and consumer reviews of sound quality I decided to order this  https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/xpa-2-gen3

I know its way more power than I need but the quality and expandability/versatility weighted in heavy on the decision. Also buying new factory direct was only slightly over budget.

Once again thank you all for your input.

You have 30 days to try the xpa-2. I did, and I returned it..... nothing makes the la scalla II's shine and get close to their full potential like a tube amp does. Good luck, hope you enjoy your new amp/speakers.

• Like 1

thnx again for imput. TBH I'm not sure how  "discerning" my ears are, more than most ppl I know but " audiophile guru " (for lack of a better word) I have no Idea. If I'm not happy with the

Emo I'll do the 30day return, if it sounds good to me I'll stick with it and may down the road test out some tube amps(  the "what I haven't heard wont hurt me approach"  ).

Enjoy your new speakers. The best solid state amp I have ever heard is the benchmark AHB2   You will have to stretch your budget a bit because I rarely see them on the used market. Do some research and you will find that I am not alone. 

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/laboratory-use-of-the-benchmark-ahb2-power-amplifier?utm_source=Benchmark's+Application+Notes&utm_campaign=1a16eb02ec-EMAIL_app+note+11-20-17&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_7c8c792ee5-1a16eb02ec-34690657

Guest wdecho
12 hours ago, RadBlue said:

may down the road test out some tube amps(  the "what I haven't heard wont hurt me approach"  ).

Whether you will like you have purchased will depend on what you expect and the kind of music you enjoy. The one thing I do not like about that amplifier is the switching PS but then I am old and old fashioned preferring a linear PS section. Switching PS have come a long way and are used in many amplifiers these days and depending on how it is made may well be as good but it is much cheaper than linear supply and maybe the manufacturer is just saving money. Some of the best D amplifiers use switchers though so the better ones must work fine. 

But getting back to my quoting your statement about tube amplifiers, do not wait till you are in your 60's as I did before you try a tube amplifier. I have many, many amplifiers being that I am a diy builder but if I cut back to just two one of them would definitely be a SET tube amplifier. Even some of the best SS circuit designers admit privately with their friends that there is magic in those tubes.   

13 hours ago, RadBlue said:

thnx again for imput. TBH I'm not sure how  "discerning" my ears are, more than most ppl I know but " audiophile guru " (for lack of a better word) I have no Idea. If I'm not happy with the

Emo I'll do the 30day return, if it sounds good to me I'll stick with it and may down the road test out some tube amps(  the "what I haven't heard wont hurt me approach"  ).

Discerning only means that you can hear the difference... if you can't tell the difference between one component and another, then what's the point of the thread.

If you do have the ability to hear a difference between one component and another, then you are... Discerning.

heck, why even spend $5,000 on La Scalas II's if you are not a discerning listener.

Are you merely a consumer...