Cartridge Question-Beware Scary Photos!

dbomberger

My Pioneer PL-570 (I'm the second owner and it sat idle for more than 20 years) started sounding a little "hollow" when I placed it on some furniture below and in front of my wall mounted TV. Seems like it might be what I saw referred to as "Background resonance?".  More recently, I've been hearing some kind of noise between tracks which is not noticeable when a track is playing.  So I have started thinking about a new cart given the obvious age of this one-though I've always liked the sound.  Was hooked to either a Pioneer SX1250 or a little Yamaha Class A  CA-800. Currently I'm trying out an Outlaw RR2160 and really enjoying it. Hearing things on the Cornwalls I haven't heard before, etc. Hard to know how this will turn out. 

I got out the Macro lens for the camera this morning and it looks to me like the Cart is maybe starting to disintegrate (the plastic) and I don't know how to tell if the Stylus is worn too much (I'm betting it is), but thought friends here might be able to comment from the photos and give me some advice for a replacement. I'm willing to invest some bucks to keep this thing sounding good.  Thanks in advance.

Grado Cart and Sylus.jpg

Grado Sytlus.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dbomberger said:

My Pioneer PL-570 (I'm the second owner and it sat idle for more than 20 years) started sounding a little "hollow" when I placed it on some furniture below and in front of my wall mounted TV. Seems like it might be what I saw referred to as "Background resonance?".  More recently, I've been hearing some kind of noise between tracks which is not noticeable when a track is playing.  So I have started thinking about a new cart given the obvious age of this one-though I've always liked the sound.  Was hooked to either a Pioneer SX1250 or a little Yamaha Class A  CA-800. Currently I'm trying out an Outlaw RR2160 and really enjoying it. Hearing things on the Cornwalls I haven't heard before, etc. Hard to know how this will turn out. 

I got out the Macro lens for the camera this morning and it looks to me like the Cart is maybe starting to disintegrate (the plastic) and I don't know how to tell if the Stylus is worn too much (I'm betting it is), but thought friends here might be able to comment from the photos and give me some advice for a replacement. I'm willing to invest some bucks to keep this thing sounding good.  Thanks in advance.

Grado Cart and Sylus.jpg

Grado Sytlus.jpg

1 minute ago, dirtmudd said:

Also try this first....

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/ttadjust.html

Dang, nice enough close up of the stylus. What is that hangy down piece of metal next to the needle?

2 hours ago, dbomberger said:

More recently, I've been hearing some kind of noise between tracks which is not noticeable when a track is playing. 

• Like 1

I don't get to see many close-ups like that one, but it sure don't look very good!  Last makes some pricy stylus cleaner, and I think that stylus tip needs a LOT of cleaning!  OnZOW makes a sticky-pad type of stylus cleaner, too.

Your cantilever also looks pretty grungy.  I think I'd just get a new cart and be done with trying to clean it.

The actual stylus tip is far too small to be able to see whether it's worn, even at that huge a magnification.  Perhaps you can find some really strongly enlarged pictures online, where you'll see flat spots on the stylus tip that represent actual wear.  However, some styli have very esoteric shapes like extreme ellipticals, and you may not be able to tell what's stylus wear versus an esoteric stylus shape.

So, I'd just get a new cartridge.  A lot of what you're hearing may be a gummed-up stylus suspension anyway.  Try Needle Doctor if you need advice.

• Like 2

Without a microscopic picture of the stylus I think you can hardly see what is going on.

But from what I am seeing here, everything is full of dust.

I would first go with the carbon brush over the stylus and take another photo like you already did to see if there is any difference (pardon me if you already did it :)) .

Carbon brush would not clean the dust on cantilever but it should clean the stylus itself. To me it looks like accumulated dust mostly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdecho said:

Alcohol on your brush should clean it up fine. Go back and forth not side to side. 

If cleaning with a stylus brush I thought you always went back to front ONLY. Just like the record passes under it, no? Anything else and you could damage the cantilever.

• Like 2

Guest wdecho
34 minutes ago, rplace said:

If cleaning with a stylus brush I thought you always went back to front ONLY. Just like the record passes under it, no? Anything else and you could damage the cantilever.

It will not hurt to go front to back, at least I do it. Proceed at your own risk though. Front to back removes the buildup much better. Never side to side though. You will bend the cavalier. 

5 hours ago, baron167 said:

I use a Magic Eraser to do thorough cleaning on styluses. Takes about 5 seconds. 

I just dip mine into the Magic eraser and it's clean... like magic.  No wiping in any direction required or recommended with this!

I took a digital picture with my kid's digital microscope at full power.  It was the bare minimum that would enable me to see the stylus and it was amazing how spotless it was after the magic eraser.  I'll look for the pictures to share.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, muel said:

I just dip mine into the Magic eraser and it's clean... like magic.  No wiping in any direction required or recommended with this!

I took a digital picture with my kid's digital microscope at full power.  It was the bare minimum that would enable me to see the stylus and it was amazing how spotless it was after the magic eraser.  I'll look for the pictures to share.

Probably confusing it with another product by a couple of makers that looks like a sponge you wet and clean marks and walls with.

Sounds like a strong or magic then...thanks

On 4/23/2018 at 6:01 AM, baron167 said:

I use a Magic Eraser to do thorough cleaning on styluses. Takes about 5 seconds. 

I actually did that yesterday, since I had the ME on hand.  Thanks for the reminder.  I'll likely end up with at least a new stylus, or maybe the whole cart. But for now I'm certain that helped.

• Like 1

The Magic Eraser treatment worked well at least as far as looks. The photo now looks better than before.  I'm making an appointment for a new cart but that seems to be a couple of weeks before I can get in, so this will do for now.  Thanks all.

3 minutes ago, LarryC said:

Wow! That's an understatement.  Should keep me occupied for a while.  Thanks!