Did I get the holy grail of Heresy 1s? And possible issues

bandit88

15 minutes ago, bandit88 said:

Thanks everyone.  I just redid the solder joints and they sound much better!  The mid bass is what I expected where as before it was pretty weak.  I didnt notice any muddiness except for a little bit when playing a Foo Fighters LP.  I tried a different Foo Fighters LP that is a 45 and it was better so it may just be the recording.  Everything else I listened to was gold and the trumpets in Chicago songs are breathtaking.  I am going to continue to go though these to make sure they are 100%.  Is there a way to test the autoformer?  

You could remove the autoformer and send them to Bob Crites, as he has all of the proper test equipment, but I don't think it would be worthwhile.  Bob told me not long ago that (to paraphrase), he has seen very, very few bad/poorly performing autoformers.  You could replace the small gaskets that are between the mid driver and horn at some point, but I would probably recommend that you experiment more with room placement.  I'm glad you found the issue.  Enjoy.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

The rear speaker panel in the pic you posted is mounted upside-down from how it left the factory.  It may have been removed and re-mounted so that the terminals ended up being closer to the floor

I was wondering about that.  Thought it may have been one of your famous lunch breaks that was the cause (just kidding).  @bandit88. See I told you he would be along.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bandit88 said:

Thanks everyone.  I just redid the solder joints and they sound much better!  The mid bass is what I expected where as before it was pretty weak.  I didnt notice any muddiness except for a little bit when playing a Foo Fighters LP.  I tried a different Foo Fighters LP that is a 45 and it was better so it may just be the recording.  Everything else I listened to was gold and the trumpets in Chicago songs are breathtaking.  I am going to continue to go though these to make sure they are 100%.  Is there a way to test the autoformer?  

Be very sure to give attention to the terminals on the back panel of those Heresys.  Over time the plywood back panel shrinks a bit in thickness, which often causes the screws of the terminal to become a bit loosened.  So, disassemble the terminals, clean up the screws good, and the holes they thread into, take a tube of dielectric grease (which can be found in auto parts stores), put a dab on a Q-tip and LIGHTLY coat the machine screws' threads before reassembling them. 

I use Birchwood-Casey Gun Scrubber to clean electrical connections...it is basically solvent-grade ether under pressure.  It cuts all grease/oil/crud and gets metal parts squeaky-clean.

Dielectric grease being coated lightly on metallic objects that may rust/corrode, is always a good plan because it keeps the oxygen in the air from getting to the metal and causing the corrosion, and it is also a great conductor of electricity in its own right.  One small tube of dielectric grease will last for years of use on a variety of things, such as your battery cable ends and battery terminals on you vehicles, which SHOULD be cleaned and a light coating of that grease put on them TWICE a year, depending on when the weather tends to change from cold to hot and hot to cold in your particular area.  Corrosion of battery terminals reduced the flow of electricity and over-works the alternator diodes when trying to recharge the battery, causing the diodes to fail sooner than they should, and since most alternator diodes are now sealed into the alternator, instead of being replaceable,  that means you have to buy a whole new alternator when the diodes fail EARLY. 

• 2 weeks later...

That is a fantastic pair of Heresy speakers that you've found @bandit88.

That wood and a 70th edition Khorn finish that I've seen online here are truly museum ready works of art.

While I think the simple black grilles might look better, I know I wouldn't change that if they were mine. I've got a pair of socks that look like that, seen sweaters like it too, but Heritage speaker grilles not until now.

Glad you rectified the issue, and just think after a while you replace with Crites or ALK components and your kids will be jamming decades from now.

Very unique-looking and cool veneer.

Curious about the solder joints - how would the cruddy looking joints impact sound quality?  Are we talking about a total lack of electrical connection, or high resistance, or something else?

Just curious...

• 2 years later...