Anyone use induction cooktop? Thoughts?

avguytx

27 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I wouldn't want anything that crapped, peed, or walked on anything that I prepare food on in my house personally.  Different strokes for different folks.

It would only happen once!

👿

Easy for me to say, I guess,  but who knows what goes on when I'm not around!

51 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Your cat walks on your stove?

I guess you don't have a cat.  Yeah....  they go where they want, sleep where they want, eat when they want....

Ours isn't as quick to jump on the counters as he was at one time....but he still can and will from time to time.  When we catch him, we always get him off.

If we're in the basement and he's on the counters, we can't hear him....but then....we'll hear a soft "th-ump" and we'll know he was just up there and jumped down.

3 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I guess you don't have a cat.  Yeah....  they go where they want, sleep where they want, eat when they want....

Ours isn't as quick to jump on the counters as he was at one time....but he still can and will from time to time.  When we catch him, we always get him off.

If we're in the basement and he's on the counters, we can't hear him....but then....we'll hear a soft "th-ump" and we'll know he was just up there and jumped down.

More power to you.  I love my dog but we won't even let him put his nose on the kitchen counter let alone walk on it.  That would be a pretty funny sight though and yes, it would only happen one time.

• Moderators
On 4/25/2018 at 9:42 AM, avguytx said:

No.  Hasn't started being built yet.  Next step is excavation and footings so it's a ways out.  There's no gas offered out there unless I have a tank installed and the "HOA" doesn't really think much of doing that.  I could either bury a tank in the back or build something around an above ground and it would be ok.  But not really worried about it too bad.

Are you going to go with attic instant hot water heaters?  Much more efficient than electric water heaters, you will save a lot lot with those.

On 4/26/2018 at 11:25 AM, avguytx said:

Coytee, thanks for all that information....that was exactly what I was looking to hear.  I appreciate it.  I'm sure those beeps could drive a person crazy and I read quite a few reviews where they talked about that.  Maybe the Frigidaire I'm looking at won't beep so much.  haha.  I did a chat session earlier today with Frigidaire about why there are so minimal dealers for their Professional series induction cooktops and they really didn't have a great answer.  But, they said that Lowes will be able to do a special fax in order for  either the 30 or 36" cooktop I'm looking at so that's good.  They also said they would be producing more of  these as the demand is starting to rise for them.

This is the one I'm looking at.  I'm kind of partial to knobs versus push button stuff.

https://www.frigidaire.com/Kitchen-Appliances/Cooktops/Induction-Cooktops/FPIC3677RF/

I own a Frigidaire induction cooktop/range. It has 4 elements offering different sizes. The problem is that there are only 2 induction coils that serve 4 sites, one pair left, the other right. So if you use both elements on one side (using 1 coil) they do not work as efficiently as when used singularly. If you use all 4 then your cook timing must adjust accordingly. It maybe that my unit is older and they make them differently now. If it’s not too late make the inquiry.

As for induction heating it takes some getting used to. I doubt if I'd go back to any direct thermal mode. They heat evenly and never burn spillovers. They leave no burn residue on the cabinets above or adjacent to the stove. They can bring a huge pot of water to a roiling boil very quickly and can keep a very nice low simmer for hours w/o burning the food. Once you get acquainted with cooking on them you will be pleased. Also, they do not heat up a kitchen. Recently we started using those copper colored enameled pans you see on QVC and elsewhere. The pans are inexpensive and work perfectly on my rig. Clean up is idiotically simple even for large meals. Good luck with the new house.

• 6 months later...

Go for it. You'll be glad you did if you like to cook. First thing I've ever used that's better than gas. I carry a magnet in my car in case I see pots and pans that appear to be a good deal. If the magnet sticks, they're good...

Dave

I like the idea, but giving up all of my hard earned cookware is a bitter pill.  My aluminum popcorn pot alone, inherited from a good friend would be a devastating loss.  One pill makes you larger, and one pill makes you small, but the one that induction gives you?

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I like the idea, but giving up all of my hard earned cookware is a bitter pill.  My aluminum popcorn pot alone, inherited from a good friend would be a devastating loss.  One pill makes you larger, and one pill makes you small, but the one that induction gives you?

=== “ don’t do anything at all” — (just ask Alice)

21 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I like the idea, but giving up all of my hard earned cookware is a bitter pill. 

As I've always preferred cast iron or steel I have only a few non-magnetic pots. As mentioned above, when I look at cookware now I carry a small magnet as it isn't always clear what is magnetic and what is not. 

Dave

22 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I think you can get a "hot plate" (or something) that you would sit on your induction top and THAT gets hot.....then, you'd set your aluminum pot on the plate to make your popcorn.

At least, that is what Alice told me....  I had to ask.

2 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I think you can get a "hot plate" (or something) that you would sit on your induction top and THAT gets hot.....then, you'd set your aluminum pot on the plate to make your popcorn.

At least, that is what Alice told me....  I had to ask.

Interesting.  Was she larger or small at the time?

Speaking of---the recent rains have provided some great woodear mushrooms lately, and after last night another harvest is nigh.