Anyone use induction cooktop? Thoughts?

avguytx

If you haven't ever used one of these, I seem to recall they get advertised as being "cool to the touch" or something like that...

They are cool, relative to coiled heat....but, as your skillet/pot gets hot, that heat is still transferred to the glass top and it DOES get hot, just not as hot as the stove itself could get.

I personally think if someone goes down this avenue, you really need to look into one/several cast iron skillets.  My wife has some fancy non-stick skillet that is "induction ready" and in fact, it works.

Her brother uses it from time to time when he's visiting.  He was here once, needed another skillet so grabbed one of my iron skillets (she detests using them as "they're too heavy")

anyways, after he was done, he said he had a "wow moment".....  said with her "induction ready" skillet, he had to have the "burner" on MUCH higher than with my iron skillet.....  he went on to say that the iron skillet got hotter, did it faster and held it longer than her "induction ready" skillet.

My guess is it was because you are dealing with 100% iron verses hers having something reactive encased in the bottom of the skillet.  He said it was no contest on performance.

• Like 1

I'm planning to build my retirement home soon, so I decided on installing TWO cooktops, one gas and one induction.  That way I will have the best of both worlds in the kitchen...each stove top has its own best use advantages IMHO. 

My father was a retired Army Food Service Warrant Officer who preferred gas (as do I), but my step mother preferred electiric….so we actually had one of each type ranges side by side when Dad and I built the house in 1969.  The major caveat Dad put in for both ranges was that BOTH ranges' ovens had to be wide enough for using the mil-surp baking sheets he loved so much!  My step mother was a good cook, but Dad had her beat in the kitchen hands-down!...especially when the extended family came in for the holidays!:

Stovetops would be rocking...both ovens rolling. Dad would be sitting at the kitchen table with four timers in front of him, either drinking coffee or sipping on a beer...checking the timers or getting up to stir the pots on the stove!  Sometimes he would sit down and look at me over his glasses and say "Where's my new cold can of beer?  This one's empty!  YOU ONLY HAVE ONE JOB, so get up off yer azz and get to work, Private!  Put the cold one in my hand, and the empty in the trash!!  DO I have to replace you with a trained monkey??"

Oh the joys of having a Warrant Officer/Retired Warrant Officer as a father!  Occasionally it was a PITA, but his sense of humor always had me laughing!  It got even crazier as he got older, and our roles got reversed to some extent:  "Dad, aren't you gonna give me any help doing this? or just sit on your azz drinking a beer the whole time?"...."Son, I am the SUPERVISOR, know what that means?"...."Yes Dad, you sit and drink beer while making sure that I do EVERYTHING right!"...."CORRECT, Son!  Never ask about things you already know!  It just slows down getting things done!  Any MORE questions?"..."No Dad...except...do you need another cold beer yet?"..."Son, you have lots of pots on the stove right now, and I am sitting on the ice chest...so I will get up and get one when I need one."..."Ok, Dad!"

RE: cast iron cookware...not giving mine up come hell or high water!  As long as I can still lift them, I will be using them!

• Like 2