Anyone use induction cooktop? Thoughts?

avguytx

I'm tired of messing with the glass cooktops and the typical electric elements and thinking about going to an induction cooktop.  Any of you guys (or gals) use them that can post your thoughts both positive and negative?  If you use one, what brand is it and how long have you owned it?  There are a lot of models out there and I've been researching since we'll have to be purchasing these once we make it to the point of the inside work we'll finish out with.  I like the Frigidaire FPIC3677RF Professional 36" cooktop as I like the knobs better than push button so far and better than their Gallery series.  But, no one really carries it so it's special order only.

I prefer gas ! You can't cook without fire !!!!

Haven't had the privilege to use induction....

But since you like or looking at Frigidaire...

Look for the other Electrolux brands....

For warranty , quality and best bang for your buck...

There was a duplicate of this post I hid.

Anyway, I use my Duxtop constantly. Seriously considering buy a couple more and sinking them side by side and at countertop level to form a cooktop. Not too many years ago an induction cooktop was 4k or so. I could do one just as good for maybe 300 all told, cookers and parts as well.  I paid 60 bucks or so for this thing and it's the first thing I've ever used that beats gas. Almost instant response, VERY fast heating, and incredible control. All that, and very little heating of the surface and it cools very quickly. 

You can cook by levels 1-10 or temps from 140-160. Simmering at 1.5 or 2 (depending on mass) NEVER yields and scorching. And there is a timer as well. Love'em! Anything a magnet will stick to can be used, and since my stuff is all cast iron and stainless, no problem.

Dave

7 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

I prefer gas ! You can't cook without fire !!!!

Fully agreed until I got one...  They are dirt cheap on Amazon. Try one, if you used it for nothing but a warmer you'll be happy, but I'll bet you use it for much more. Superb for deep frying as there is NO flare up danger.

Dave

• Like 1

Yeah, I like gas too but there's no easy option for that in new house.  I do like the allure of it being easier to keep clean with spills, etc., that stuff getting on a typical glass cooktop, elements, or gas.  No flare ups either.  I do have a gas grill if I get the urge....plus a charcoal and pellet grill.  lol  Thanks guys.

See there are at least 3 prices ranges on the page from $99 to 49... Guess I missed the past post Dave.

And it fries chicken...amazing.:

https://www.amazon.com/Duxtop-8100MC-Portable-Induction-Countertop/dp/B0045QEPYM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1524513162&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=duxtop+induction+cooktop&psc=1

I have to look at the wok and frying pan to see who made them. I've had them about 15 years. I use the wok for a lot of food. It is big, it can easily hold a gallon of juice and 5 pounds of beef. Turn it on 8 and the juice is boiling in about 15 seconds. As long as you don't touch the actual pot, you can't feel any heat. The wok was about $2500 when I got it, the pan was about 1700.

Nice lady gave them to me new in exchange for golf lessons and having a few pops from time to time, I would never pay that to cook. They are really very nice pieces of kitchen ware

Mark

30 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Yeah, I like gas too but there's no easy option for that in new house. 

You won't miss it. There are only two things I can think of where I want gas...large, round bottom wok where you want at least 30k BTU, and for large scale frying and such where you need the same, and I get those from my bubba cooker. Also have a propane gas grill I can put wood chunks on for steaks or smoking meat.  There is right tool for every job, and for inside cooking today it's induction, IMHO. Might mention the Duxtop fan is pretty loud and there may be quieter ones.  Might also mention they are very light, easy to carry in if you are feeding at the office or somewhere.  

Dave

I think more than anything I worry about the money they cost and reading where burners have failed, power failures, etc., and companies are hard to deal with.  I know there's the potential for trouble in anything you buy; I spent 25+ years in home audio/video and 9 of it as a rep.  Stuff's gonna break....just a matter of when.  It just makes it tough to spend $1500+ on a cooktop when you think about it.  They don't build things to last 20+ years like they used to and I hate the thought of having to replace one every 5 to 7 years or so.  ha.  The cost difference between the 30" and 36" is not that much overall and I have plenty of counter top space in the kitchen to work with.

I prefer gas but moved into a house where that wasn’t An option. Went with induction. 

Since the cooktop bypasses and transfers heat directly directly to the food you need to relearn your temperature control. YOU WILL BURN YOUR FIRST PAN OF EGGS. IT WILL HAPPEN. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Vegasnomad said:

YOU WILL BURN YOUR FIRST PAN OF EGGS. IT WILL HAPPEN. 

Fascinating. My first basted eggs were perfect. I don't think I've ever burned anything on induction, especially eggs given the incredible control. I do them at 2.5 and it's just right. I did take a bit of time to get simmer just right as it varies depending on the mass involved. But once you get it, there are no errors. 

Dave

17 hours ago, avguytx said:

I think more than anything I worry about the money they cost and reading where burners have failed, power failures, etc., and companies are hard to deal with. 

Not sure what failures and such you are talking about, but induction is inherently simple and it's hard to see how a failure would cause anything except it to go dead. And, at these prices, they are definitely throw away. Build a cooktop like I mentioned and keep a spare as a portable. I was thinking only a three burner as I cannot recall when I needed 4 at once. Why waste the space?

Dave

This is going to be one that's installed into granite counter tops in the kitchen....in place of the typical stove that's there.  The oven part will be an inwall with the microwave above it.  I don't want to drag out a group of things to cook dinner....this is more a permanent install of sorts.  There won't be any waste of counter space in a 12' x 20' kitchen....got puh-lenty of  that.  :)

Guys, this is for a stove/oven alternative....not just portable cooking.  I have grills for that.  I'm talking about something like this.

FPIC3677RF Frigidaire 36" Professional Induction Cooktop with PowerPlus Induction Technology - Black

Ah!  You didn't mean portable.  

It's a real shame that our customs have led us to waste money like we do.  Built-in appliances are really such a waste.  So much more expensive, compared to cheap, effective disposables.  However, I understand.  You can't have a home and not have them.  When in Rome, be dumb like the Romans.

3 minutes ago, avguytx said:

This is going to be one that's installed into granite counter tops in the kitchen....in place of the typical stove that's there.

As I mentioned, these are perfect for that. You just have to choose one with the right vent location, rear at least and bottom at best. With bottom, you can simply vent under the cabinet...there isn't that much heat involved. The Duxtops can be readily snugged up to each other to give a uniform appearance and the controls will be readily accessible. In my case, I'd go 3 in a row as I really see no need for 4 burners at a time. If I need that, I just get one out of the closet for temporary duty. You may have other things for portable use, but I've never seen anything as light and portable as induction for either cooking or for use as a warmer. 

Dave

Thanks for the link.  I can't tell you how many reviews I've read over the last few months and they are all over the place....like everything.  I know that anything built can and will break the way they build things not to last anymore.  The bad part about these induction cooktops, it seems, is their lack of parts when they fail, how much the main boards cost, and anyone being anywhere nearby to even fix them when they break. If they are that disposable, I may just get a cheaper model and take the chance.  I don't want to use electric coil burners because they just look too basic and I really don't want another ceramic glass top because they are so dang hard to keep clean.  So this is going to be a crap shoot like buying anything new these days.  Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

42 minutes ago, avguytx said:

If they are that disposable, I may just get a cheaper model and take the chance.

They are the cooking equivalents of Class D amps. No moving parts, all circuits. I've had no failures and even if I did at these prices removed and replace.

Dave