Property Boundry?

rplace

I know several of you live out in the sticks and/or have large property. I'm having problems with a neighbor and talking to him face to face, like a reasonable person is not working. I paid to have my land surveyed (again) so I have fresh boundary markers this time with pins and caps every 100-200 feet not just the corners. I don't want to put up a fence and I don't want it to look like I am a paranoid idiot. What have you seen or done with respect to signage that is to the point but not over the top. Sort of a vague request I know as one mans over top is another mans not enough. He has cut trees/brush back on about 1/3 of our property line to the tune of 60-70 feet into my lot. Way more than a slight disagreement of where the line is.:angry:

We both have a little over 10 acres and share one common line a bit over 900 feet. Sort of rectangle properties. Think two shoe box lids laying next to each other with the long sides touching.

I'm thinking 4' metal green fence posts at each cap/pin set with a No Trespassing sign on each. Figured I see what the rest of you red-necks thought before I proceed;) I just want to be left alone and have the land be in its natural state. I'm only guessing but thinking he may want to sell as his kids are all grown up. I think he is trying to make the view up his driveway from the road more appealing. That would be fine if he stuck to his property.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

Have him to do a survey.

then post

NO Trespassing

Violators will be shot. Survivors will be shot again

you could a richard and sue him for the value of the trees...

If I could have gotten him "to do" a survey I'd already have a reasonable neighbor, of which he is not.

• Like 1

Since he's not a reasonable person ... maybe he would understand you not liking him cutting trees on your place by dropping one on his house ... "Oh, Oops. I hate it when I do that"

I was trying to improve my view. 

-------------------------------------------------------------

Local rules prevail. Maybe a representative from the govt should explain things. IDK... Ya think cops showing up and telling him would make an impression?

Call the tax accessor's office with the county and discuss it with them. There should be a plat from last survey done on your property with all four concrete(?) markers showing. If what you are saying is you want to put the green metal poles at all 4 markers, and mark them with a sign then can see no problem. Nice that you are at least on speaking terms as, a bad neighbor is not wanted as you know. Have known of some folk even moving survey markers to their advantage..Of course each locale may operate differently. A survey then at his expense could get his attention. For trespassing around about here. You have to call the law and tell them about trespassers after property posted. First time they warn. Next time they fine.

Good fortune

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

I would do as you said, then tell him it's marked and do not cut anything past that line and if he doubts the line he needs to have his own survey done. Say it so he gets the message, but nicely of course. :huh2:

We live on a corner so 2 sides are marked by roads, 6 acres. The back is a low spot we offered to buy to keep it from being cleared and that neighbor said he wants it left alone for the same reason as us, it gives about 100' of buffer trees and brush between us so were both good. The last property line is with a neighbor we don't really talk with anymore because his wife went off the deep end and no one talks with her anymore I think including him. But we both know where that property line is because he wanted a few cows so he bought the metal T- post and i bought the wire and we both put up the fence. Later I came back and put clumping bamboo down the whole line which is a few hundred feet, neither one of us can remove that very easily since it has grown.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, rplace said:

I know several of you live out in the sticks and/or have large property. I'm having problems with a neighbor and talking to him face to face, like a reasonable person is not working. I paid to have my land surveyed (again) so I have fresh boundary markers this time with pins and caps every 100-200 feet not just the corners. I don't want to put up a fence and I don't want it to look like I am a paranoid idiot. What have you seen or done with respect to signage that is to the point but not over the top. Sort of a vague request I know as one mans over top is another mans not enough. He has cut trees/brush back on about 1/3 of our property line to the tune of 60-70 feet into my lot. Way more than a slight disagreement of where the line is.:angry:

We both have a little over 10 acres and share one common line a bit over 900 feet. Sort of rectangle properties. Think two shoe box lids laying next to each other with the long sides touching.

I'm thinking 4' metal green fence posts at each cap/pin set with a No Trespassing sign on each. Figured I see what the rest of you red-necks thought before I proceed;) I just want to be left alone and have the land be in its natural state. I'm only guessing but thinking he may want to sell as his kids are all grown up. I think he is trying to make the view up his driveway from the road more appealing. That would be fine if he stuck to his property.

You need an attorney who handles real property and specifically quiet title actions.  If you let this go for too long (or have already done so) he might have a valid adverse possession claim against you depending on the laws in your state. If you decide to try to save a buck you might lose claim to part of your property. 

You might not need a lawsuit (or maybe you do need a quiet title action), but you do need competent advice on how to proceed. 

• Like 3

If you do put metal markers on the 2 corners involved, could see putting fishing line between the two and attaching posted signs and safety orange markers tied to the line along the boundary. A poor man's fence.

5 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

You need an attorney who handles real property and specifically quiet title actions.  If you let this go for too long (or have already done so) he might have a valid adverse possession claim against you depending on the laws in your state. If you decide to try to save a buck you might lose claim to part of your property. 

Valid enough to behoove one.

The gal we bought this place from was trying abscond with 2 adjoining lots by "accidentally" fencing them into this plot...

I stole the fencing when we moved in. It did belong to them. Even though the previous owner bought and put it up...

• Like 1

Have him to do a survey.
then post

NO Trespassing
Violators will be shot. Survivors will be shot again

you could be a richard and sue him for the value of the trees... and make him replant

This Richard takes offense! NOT!
They don’t need to have a survey done your survey is enough to hold up to any dispute in court it’s your land do what you want put in the post put in as many signs do you want make them fluorescent pink all that good stuff go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

If you have a surveyor's stamp on a complete map of your property and that coincides with what you are paying taxes on at the courthouse, then you are probably golden.

Signs on the properly line can often only serve to bring out more aggression. 

Talk to your county mapper and verify that your parcel(s) are mapped correctly and that you are indeed the one paying taxes on it. Regardless of "where" your neighbor thinks the properly line is, a more important question is probably "who" is paying the taxes on it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

If you have a surveyor's stamp on a complete map of your property and that coincides with what you are paying taxes on at the courthouse, then you are probably golden.

Signs on the properly line can often only serve to bring out more aggression. 

Talk to your county mapper and verify that your parcel(s) are mapped correctly and that you are indeed the one paying taxes on it. Regardless of "where" your neighbor thinks the properly line is, a more important question is probably "who" is paying the taxes on it!

With all due respect, this is very bad advice, at least in Nevada.  You must fully understand adverse possession in the local jurisdiction before relying on a survey and paying taxes.  A very nasty result might occur if this is ignored. 

Call the Saprano's & let Paulie have a talk with him.

38 minutes ago, billybob said:

I agree with billybob...Call the tax accessor's office with the county and discuss it with them. There should be a plat from last survey done on your property with all four concrete(?) markers showing. If what you are saying is you want to put the green metal poles at all 4 markers, and mark them with a sign then can see no problem. Nice that you are at least on speaking terms as, a bad neighbor is not wanted as you know. Have known of some folk even moving survey markers to their advantage..Of course each locale may operate differently. A survey then at his expense could get his attention. For trespassing around about here. You have to call the law and tell them about trespassers after property posted. First time they warn. Next time they fine.

Good fortune

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You probably need to take photos of the line stakes showing the timber that has been cut on your side of the line.  Then, if you're nice, have an Attorney send a cease and desist letter, and call the Sheriff if he continues to trespass.  If you're not feeling so nice, have a timber appraiser take a stump-count and estimate the value, then sue him for damages and for the cost of the survey.   Many states award damages in triplicate on timber.  

This is not a title issue unless he asserts that the occupation has been open and notorious for the statutory period to make an adverse possession claim against you.   It's trespassing and property damage.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

at least in Nevada.

And I can only speak on Alabama. I have been where the OP is with a land/line dispute. The first question the county mapper asked me was "do you have a stamped map of the complete parcel?" After saying yes and providing more details, and a title search, problem was resolved somewhat in my favor.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hasty said:

You probably need to take photos of the line stakes showing the timber that has been cut on your side of the line.  Then, if you're nice, have an Attorney send a cease and desist letter, and call the Sheriff if he continues to trespass.  If you're not feeling so nice, have a timber appraiser take a stump-count and estimate the value, then sue him for damages and for the cost of the survey.   Many states award damages in triplicate on timber.  

This is not a title issue unless he asserts that the occupation has been open and notorious for the statutory period to make an adverse possession claim against you.   It's trespassing and property damage.  

Didn't address that but yes, if timber was cut and hauled away from the property, he may have been paid some decent amount of money( for his trouble).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rplace said:

You didn't mention the outcome of your discussions with your neighbor. His response, demeanor and body language is all you need to tune into, to make your decision. 

If he was:

"A" Polite, no signage needed

"B" Genuinely ignorant of the true location regarding metes and bounds, the offer him a scotch, and walk the property line.

"C" A complete dick, then you're already where you don't want to be.... Put up a fence, or point out the trees you don't like, and fill-up his chain saw.

"D" Fake, see "C"

How is coming onto someone else's property and cutting down their trees legal possession? Sounds a little like cattle rustling.

I agree with JL Sargent if you've got a stamped surveyed parcel map and your paying the taxes its your property.

I have not faced a situation like this yet but the parcel next to me just sold. I guess I will see what kind of new neighbors I get.

I think I would start with the Sheriff, if he says you need a lawyer so be it.

• Like 1