Magical Mystery Goo, Too...

Mallette

Maybe three...anyway, I was on hiatus from vinyl for two long years so had no further experience with Reg Williamson, Neil Disney version, record cleaner. I had a large bottle he sent right before I packed up that I rather feared would be past its prime. Actually, it may have been but in the opposite direction from what I would have expected. He'd sealed the stuff to the point that if it were weed, a DEA dog wouldn't have found it. It was liquid...too liquid. Spread too fast and almost impossible to level. Even then, took several re-applications to get full coverage. Nonetheless, it worked it's magic restoring several precious discs to near mint condition.  Seventh Sojourn, victim of many pot parties and probably holding enough THC residue to have another, was one. Incredible job! Same for my well used Command Stereo Checkout album, which is still quite useful for quick checks on a number of issues. Also vastly improved were my E. Power Biggs/Rheinberger organ concertos, which I loved. They had some actual scratches, but lots of noise went away.  

I tried to thicken it on the stove, but even reducing by a third didn't seem to increase the viscosity. Very strange stuff! However, it worked anyway and hoping for a new supply.  One important thing I learned is the stuff is completely water soluble even when dry. So, it pays to rinse with warm water to removed any little bits that may remain or, if as I did, some runs off and gets on an already cleaned side. Warm water takes it right off cleanly and a very soft record cloth speeds it up.

I also built a drying jig with a 1/4" dowel and 3 inch squares of would drilled to fit the dowel. Mounted that on a 12" base of 3/4" plywood that holds it steady. Put on a square of wood, a record, and another square of wood.  Holds them an inch apart and well clear of contamination. Mine holds 10 discs at the moment. Easy and useful for this purpose.

No LP collector should be without this stuff. A tweak that yields results like nothing else can.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I thought this might have been a "funny" thread ... 

my first thought of a "magic goo" would be something that can put the magic smoke back into electronics. 

I will be putting this magic goo to the test in the near future. I have a stack of LPs. Looks too good to true. A little effort but...

WillyBob, as mentioned, it can't fix physical damage, but in my experience most "surface noise" is impacted stuff it WILL eliminate. And it does it when nothing else will. I've used everything from DiscWasher to Ivory liquid and water on some of these with no improvement. But this stuff works! 

Dave

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, billybob said:

Had been under the impression it was a coat that was allowed to dry and you just peeled it off like a facial mask.

It is precisely that. Takes overnight or more to dry thoroughly. But comes off nicely when at the right viscosity. I've had to remove a few leftover bits as mentioned due to the batch I am working with being a bit thins, but as it's water soluble it's no big deal. 

Dave

4 minutes ago, Mallette said:

It is precisely that. Takes overnight or more to dry thoroughly. But comes off nicely when at the right viscosity. I've had to remove a few leftover bits as mentioned due to the batch I am working with being a bit thins, but as it's water soluble it's no big deal. 

Dave

Thanks for the clarification. It really sounds like a no-brainer then, after you have the recipe for the solution. Sure I can find the recipe following Neil's postings.

Well, my impression is that formulating it correctly and to the right viscosity is an exacting process. I'd work closely with Neil on it. I suspect an induction hotplate would be ideal given its very controllable temperatures.

Dave

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Well, my impression is that formulating it correctly and to the right viscosity is an exacting process. I'd work closely with Neil on it. I suspect an induction hotplate would be ideal given its very controllable temperatures.

Dave

Interesting idea. Another reason for a Duxtop...thanks!

Why wasn't I invited to this party?

Last time I purchased Elvanol (PVA) I bought 70-62.  I suspect that might have something to do with your results Dave  @Mallette, although it's worked well for me.  I suspect the ratio of PVA powder to H2O could have been higher to result in higher viscosity.  In any case, I just ordered some 71-30, which I used before with good results.  I'll make up a batch of goop using the 71-30 and test it before I send it to you.

If others reading this are getting excited, be forewarned.  My stash of Cyastat SN (IMO, indispensable anti-static ingredient) is dwindling quickly.  In order to persuade me to part with 1 oz., you must make a $50, or greater, donation to a real charity, such as American Red Cross, American Cancer Society, Disabled American Vets, ASPCA, Klipsch Museum, Dave's Regional Music Heritage Center, or the like.  Sending $$ to PACS, such as the ACLU or the NRA (that covers the spectrum) does not qualify.  Send a PM if you have questions.  It is intended to be difficult to get Cyastat SN, to weed out those who will not follow directions and put in the effort to get the results.  Cyastat SN is essentially "Unobtainium."  If you know of a source in small quantities (normally comes in $500 barrels) please share it.

Screenshot (260).png

I am interested as well and have read about this in previous posts. At this point I am not sure where to start as I do have some vinyl that needs something done.

I can't bring myself to get rid of a single album and have an artist friend after them as he forms them into bowls and other artwork. Every time a see one of those bowls I wonder if the album could have been saved - kind of hurts deep inside. :(

Is here a way to get a sample? Can you point me to the recipe as I am ready to look into this.

I guess the question is about cyastat. Certainly, there are areas of the country where static is an issue. When I lived in West Texas it certainly was. OTOH, on the Gulf Coast it's a non-issue and rarely so in Texarkana with all the humidity. So, if it's "unobtainium" seems to me that having clean records is certainly still an improvement. I think Neil should re-post the recipe procedure from the old thread and let folks decide for themselves. I know the results I've had are not due to static reduction. We're talking about removing ancient, impacted obstacles and old film deposits from a variety of sources. 

BTW, this should NOT suggest RMHC or the other NPOs shouldn't have your support... :P. After all, we're about LIVE music and the preservation of it.

Dave

• Like 2

Humidity here is killer. AC is completely necessary, or a swamp cooler. That goo must be magic but the cyastat must be the static eliminator also. Just gave and am giving the museum  and pilgrimage a small membership plus donation.

It is about me fulfilling past obligations from

the recent past.

Good fortune

38 minutes ago, billybob said:

Humidity here is killer. AC is completely necessary, or a swamp cooler

Using a swamp cooler at more than 25% humidity or so is murder! They were MUCH superior to AC when I lived in El Paso at 15% or less, but I wouldn't have one here for anything. Makes the place like a jungle.

Dave

• Haha 1

According to Reg Williamson, static is ALWAYS an issue.  He described how and why static attracts and bonds dirt to vinyl.  Unless the static charge is eliminated, the dirt can’t be peeled away by the PVA facial.

The static is more than the audible snap of electrical discharges, which are worse in low humidity and less annoying in high humidity.  If humidity could break the static charge, Cyastat would not be necessary, water would do it.  Unfortunately, it doesn’t work that way.  Cyastat is indispensable.  “Cleaning” vinyl without it is, IMO, a waste of time and money.

Cyastat breaks the static bond and prevents the record from accumulating a static charge again.  With the static charge broken, dirt can be removed by the PVA facial, and the record will no longer attract dirt.

TAA_articles.pdfRECIPE.pdf

• Like 2