Need some help

Moit

Just purchased my 1st pair of Klipschorn

Kind of a barn find - older lady selling for sick ex-husband as he moves into a senior home.

Test in an old house with cheap Sony amp and CD player. Not in corners, small room, but wood floor on a basement.

They sounded amazing.

Loaded them up drove 2.5 hours home hooked them up - they now sound terrible, no low end and muddy everything else.

My space is in a finished basement, so concrete floors, with carpet and pad - 14 foot wall, with K-Horns in the corners.

Ceiling is just under 8 ft and back of room is open - 28+ feet.

Current system was driving a pair for Forte II's, and they sounded great.

Working on posting some photos.

Thanks for any help or advice in advance.

Moit

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Moit said:

Just purchased my 1st pair of Klipschorn

Kind of a barn find - older lady selling for sick ex-husband as he moves into a senior home.

Test in an old house with cheap Sony amp and CD player. Not in corners, small room, but wood floor on a basement.

They sounded amazing.

Loaded them up drove 2.5 hours home hooked them up - they now sound terrible, no low end and muddy everything else.

My space is in a finished basement, so concrete floors, with carpet and pad - 14 foot wall, with K-Horns in the corners.

Ceiling is just under 8 ft and back of room is open - 28+ feet.

Current system was driving a pair for Forte II's, and they sounded great.

Working on posting some photos.

Thanks for any help or advice in advance.

Moit

Welcome to the forum. You are at the right place. Pics are nice...enjoy!

Edit: welcome back !

So my wife (which I really have to be nice to) suggested the old wires may have gotten kink on the ride home, so I replaced them with new wire and made sure the Left Red post went to the Red post on the amp, for both sides. Good catch from my first photos. Still sounds terrible.

Updated photos with new wires.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOfRJCBRGU_ZudnJjzBMYnWh_iX0JmXqlbYC5lvdj5kiePvX5AgqHG8lQWlUKojuQ?key=eVdyNFZnT28xZ28yQTBKeFB1RlV1MlM5enY0Rll3

6 minutes ago, Moit said:

So my wife (which I really have to be nice to) suggested the old wires may have gotten kink on the ride home, so I replaced them with new wire and made sure the Left Red post went to the Red post on the amp, for both sides. Good catch from my first photos. Still sounds terrible.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOfRJCBRGU_ZudnJjzBMYnWh_iX0JmXqlbYC5lvdj5kiePvX5AgqHG8lQWlUKojuQ?key=eVdyNFZnT28xZ28yQTBKeFB1RlV1MlM5enY0Rll3

I'm still confused.  Don't pay attention to the SCREW color.  Look at the barrier strip.  It has a black section and a red section.  On the new photos you posted, black should be the BOTTOM screw on both speakers.

• Like 1

Hello, Have you rewired  both speakers or do you know which speaker may be out of phase?

If not there is a simple test or two like listening to both independently. Or just to troubleshoot,

the speaker that is troubling, reverse the wires and check low volume. Power off.

7 minutes ago, Moit said:

I saw the pics.  It is common to loosen, then re-tighten all screws on the XO.  I don't think that is why they sound terrible, but I think we as a group can help you figure it out.

Can you tell us what XO you have?  The pics stop just a tad too soon, I'm looking for "Type ??"  Probably AA, or AK something.

• Like 1

It is both speakers.

Independently I tried (at low volumes) to to switch the Red and Black.

There was only a slight difference, and I now have both speakers wired the same, as seen in the photos. 

I did not try the loosen/tighten thing - doing this next.

• Like 2

I like that Type AA XO.  It sounds good all all volume levels and there are tons of threads on how to refresh them with new caps.  For right now just plug them in and enjoy them, at least for a month.  My 1978 Khorns had unmolested AA's and they sounded fantastic.

Let's figure out this sound thing first.  If they sounded good when you tested them, they should sound just as good a few hours later.

Have you put your ear to each of the three drivers to make sure they are producing sound?  Use a towel to cover the other one you are not listening to.  That tweeter does not make sounds which resemble music, they highlight and reinforce the mid drivers HF sound.

1 hour ago, Moit said:

Test in an old house with cheap Sony amp and CD player.

Was this your Sony amp?  Can you try this at home and see how it sounds compared to your test?

I saw you are using an H/K 345 AVR.  The HK is known to sound good with Klipsch but at 55 wpc into two channels I wonder if the Khorns are getting enough juice?

21 minutes ago, Moit said:

Have these hooked to an Emotiva Fusion 8100, powered by an Emotiva XPA-200. Source is an Apple TV via Optical.

I've never heard the Emotiva products you have but they are top shelf and 150 wpc should make those Khorns sing.  Likewise the Optical connection will deliver excellent sound.

What I don't know is the Apple TV.  I don't use one, do they have good SQ?  I know in general the sound from my TV through a set-top box is very compressed.  Can you try a CD or Blu-ray with a known high quality recording?

+++

You've got a bunch of nice new stuff, time to get that signature updated!  :emotion-21:  B)

The Apple TV works great with all my other Klipsch gear. It has a digital optical out, the Fusion 8100 functions as the DAC.

I have placed all my CD players in storage, and will have to dig one out tomorrow night. 

I am beat for the night, but will be back at it tomorrow after work.

Thanks for all the helpful hits so far.

• Like 1