Klipsch Sub-Woofers are they Sealed or Ported ? (help picking speakers)

augustya30

I would look at what kind of subs are being used in the clubs, ported or sealed, and buy the same type. That way you'll have a similar sound.

Note that I expect the nightclubs to have larger drivers, probably 15" or 18", but don't sweat it. And don't buy 2 subs off-the-bat; you may find just one works, and two may be overkill or eat up too much space in the room.

If the nightclub subs happen to be horn loaded designs, then just be sure to stick your sub in a corner to approximate the effect. Better than nothing.

I'll vote for ported subs for your application as sonic accuracy is secondary to replicating a nightclub sound. You'll be fine.

17 hours ago, Peter P. said:

I would look at what kind of subs are being used in the clubs, ported or sealed, and buy the same type. That way you'll have a similar sound.

Note that I expect the nightclubs to have larger drivers, probably 15" or 18", but don't sweat it. And don't buy 2 subs off-the-bat; you may find just one works, and two may be overkill or eat up too much space in the room.

If the nightclub subs happen to be horn loaded designs, then just be sure to stick your sub in a corner to approximate the effect. Better than nothing.

I'll vote for ported subs for your application as sonic accuracy is secondary to replicating a nightclub sound. You'll be fine.

I hope you are not saying this, voting for Ported subs because we are on the Klipsch forum and Klipsch only makes Ported Subs !  :D

6 hours ago, augustya30 said:

I hope you are not saying this, voting for Ported subs because we are on the Klipsch forum and Klipsch only makes Ported Subs !  :D

Yuk yuk yuk!

Seriously, Klipsch just happened to be lucky this time! Personally, I don't care for ported subwoofers; I tried to be objective in your case and offer logical advice instead of my personal preference.

9 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Yuk yuk yuk!

Seriously, Klipsch just happened to be lucky this time! Personally, I don't care for ported subwoofers; I tried to be objective in your case and offer logical advice instead of my personal preference.

No offence meant. :D I was not making any fun of you ! I am just saying, being on a Klipsch property we hope not to be biased and talk only about Klipsch.

So just to put things in perspective, a couple of sound advisor guys have told me Ported gives that Big, Boomy kind of sound. Whereas, Sealed is clean. Now I do not know an iota of what clean and boomy means with respect to sound, but just to put things in perspective, the BASS that this Sub-Woofer made,

http://www.klipsch.com/products/promedia-gmx-a-2-1-computer-speaker-system

was it Boomy or clean ? If that was Boomy then that is what I want, then I would want Ported I guess ? :D

4 hours ago, Peter P. said:

That Promedia subwoofer is a sealed enclosure. If you liked that sound, you should be fine with sealed subwoofers. But I'd see what they use in your nightclubs, because that's the sound you're after.

Really ? I absolutely did not know that !! is that a sealed Sub-Woofer ?? When I called up Klipsch sales guys they said well Klipsch never has, never ever made a sealed subwoofer in true sense all our subs are almost ported. Including the Promedia GMX 2.1.

So are you sure when you say that, it is a sealed one ?

On 4/24/2018 at 10:20 AM, augustya30 said:

I am looking out for a Sub-Woofer to fit into a room of 10x15 approximately 150 square feet area, I am mostly gonna use if for some very heavy BASS Music like Electronic Dance Music and Progressive House so I really want that BASS coming out of the Sub-Woofer, I want that hard hitting BASS. I really want that dance club kind of listening experience with the Sub, having said that I may occasionally watch a movie also in that. so I would say my requirement is 75% Music and 25% Movies. Which one should I go for Ported or Sealed Sub-Woofers ?

This brings up some important questions. First, are you actually going to make this a 'Rave Cave' and have people dancing in the room or are you just setting up a nice system to sit on the couch and listen to electronic music? Next, what is your budget and what speakers do you currently have? Third, how handy are you in regards to woodworking and electronics? 

If you really want to get into it. Most electronic dance music venues now run FunktionONE speaker sets which have horn loaded sub woofers. Luckily, you can build your own home version:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1329971-lilmike-s-cinema-f-20-a.html

More realistically, Derrick hit the nail on the head earlier with the dual 18'' flat packs with an INuke amp. Even a Single 15'' Reference HO sub with 800 Watts will drop the floor out of that room for about $400 if you get the flat pack. You will never get near a true dance club feel with 10'' or 12'' subs. I personally recommend sealed as you dont need them to dig quite a deep and you really dont want chuffing noise. 

On 4/28/2018 at 2:00 PM, augustya30 said:

I will summarize it this way I want a Dance Club kind of feel. I do not want to literally convert my room into a Dance Club nor will I be able to even if I wished so :D With home audio and personal audio how can I achieve pro audio level output which one gets in Tommorow Land (Europe) and Miami Dance Festival !! I do know that, but I am trying to replicate a miniature version of it ! My room size is 10x15 approximately 150 Squate Feets.  

You will never be able to replicate a festival sound in a room. Those systems run tens of thousands of watts into free, open space which is something that you can only get by being outside. However, you can model your room off the gold standard for EDM clubs which is Beta Nightclub in Denver which many top DJs agree is their favorite place to play due to the sound system and setup.

image.png.86a9e9e7e8203bed83d4d9fdf8de4ef4.png

As you can see, it is based on high efficiency fully horn loaded speakers. Luckily, this can be achieved at home with a nice set of LaScalas and some good subs. Here is a photo of @Youthman's home theater system which  fairly closely replicates the sound system and given your room size will actually be fairly comparable. If you cant budget the $1,200 or so for used LaScalas, the KG 5.5's usually run about $300 and are great for EDM and mesh really well with direct radiating subs. So if you can pony up about $800 then get some KG 5.5s or similar, and a flat pack 15'' sub with an INuke 1000 you will be pretty well set for a decent system.

image.png.d16735651b77dc25c23ecc00a9927487.png

The point here is you can achieve a pretty unreal system at home to rival some of the best clubs in the world but we really need to know what your budget is and how far you are willing to do down the rabbit hole to achieve this. This forum is a great place and we are more than happy to walk you through each step of getting gear and setting up your room.

Also, dont post Dropbox links, it looks sketchy and if you want to show songs just paste a youtube link and it integrates into the forum:

7 hours ago, Peter P. said:

That Promedia subwoofer is a sealed enclosure. If you liked that sound, you should be fine with sealed subwoofers. But I'd see what they use in your nightclubs, because that's the sound you're after.

The PM 2.1 sub I have has a port on the side....

8 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Looks like a slot port to me.

1048-bassbox-1.jpg

If you don't want to build a sub, then go ported.  Don't worry about transient response and the 1/2 truth that sealed subs are more musical and sound better.  Although in your room, room gain is plus, it is still not enough to beat it's ported brother.

15 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Looks like a slot port to me.

1048-bassbox-1.jpg

Oh Thats a great find ? from where did you find that ? You know I was desperately looking out for the Technical Specifications for this Sub-Woofer. Since it is a discontinued Model it is not also on the Klipsch Website. Can you please also post the Technical Specification of this Sub-Woofer like how much was the WATTS RMS output and what is the Frequency Range it could produce ? I also need to show it to someone.

Thanks !!

19 hours ago, augustya30 said:

Really ? I absolutely did not know that !! is that a sealed Sub-Woofer ?? When I called up Klipsch sales guys they said well Klipsch never has, never ever made a sealed subwoofer in true sense all our subs are almost ported. Including the Promedia GMX 2.1.

So are you sure when you say that, it is a sealed one ?

I had searched on-line photos to see if the Promedia had a port, and perhaps I found crappy photos. I stand corrected.

2 hours ago, augustya30 said:

Oh Thats a great find ? from where did you find that ? You know I was desperately looking out for the Technical Specifications for this Sub-Woofer. Since it is a discontinued Model it is not also on the Klipsch Website. Can you please also post the Technical Specification of this Sub-Woofer like how much was the WATTS RMS output and what is the Frequency Range it could produce ? I also need to show it to someone.

Thanks !!

Google 

• Moderators

Please don't compare the ProMedia subs sound to a real sub, it a computer speaker. :o Unless you want to rave at your desk. 

What your probably looking for is more mid bass and not really deep bass, below 25 for the most part,  it's the club sound, and it's not as deep in frequencies as you might think.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 10:38 AM, augustya30 said:

When I called up Klipsch sales guys they said well Klipsch never has, never ever made a sealed subwoofer in true sense all our subs are almost ported.

Not true at all.  He needs to freshen up on his history.

Image result for klipsch XW-300d XW--500d

Image result for klipsch XW-300d XW-500d

IMO, two excellent sounding subs for music.

Bill

• Moderators
On 5/4/2018 at 9:38 AM, augustya30 said:

When I called up Klipsch sales guys they said

I hate to say this but some of the people who answers the phones in tech support have no idea except what they are told, they sit there with a book in front of them with some info but no real experience.

This has been proven before with some of the answers they have given in the past.

And the people in most retail stores are even worse, in a Magnolia store a friend asked where is the Klipsch, the "sales" guy made a face and said with a slight attitude we only carry high end and Klipsch is not high end. The friend asked about a few Heritage models or any of the Pro stuff and the guy had never heard of them, never even knew they had a Pro line for cinemas, only heard of the Synergy line or ProMedia.

The friend got with the manager and asked if they bring out to homes interested in buying the best and the manager said yes we do would you like to interview a set in your home. The friend told him yes if they sound better then mine I will buy them, bring the best high end you have, they set up an appointment. They showed up days later with no speakers, I guess to check out the potential customer before bringing 50 K + worth of gear, they listened to the friends setup and never came back. And it's not because of the house or the possibility he couldn't afford it, they were in shock.

Don't believe me ask Kevin Harmon, he loves to tell the story. 

18 minutes ago, dtel said:

I hate to say this but some of the people who answers the phones in tech support have no idea except what they are told, they sit there with a book in front of them with some info but no real experience.

No real experience.

Even that may be an understatement.

This week at work we had a problem corporate wide with the server. The second thing tech support asked for was my password. I gave them my password: “such&such” (not real password...) and explained the “&” is an ampersand, not a plus sign.

I heard crickets... then he asked me what an ampersand was.

We all have to start somewhere. And THEN we become selective about what we are oblivious too! Lol!