Klipsch Sub-Woofers are they Sealed or Ported ? (help picking speakers)

augustya30

16 hours ago, dtel said:

What your probably looking for is more mid bass and not really deep bass, below 25 for the most part,  it's the club sound, and it's not as deep in frequencies as you might think.

This is exactly what Ed Mullen The Head of Technology @SVS Sub-Woofers told to me, that I am looking for Mid Bass, and Upper BASS not really looking for deeper frequencies. But you know it is becoming technical for me, I do not understand of what Mid Bass is what upper BASS is, what more deeper and lower BASS is ? It all sound greek and latin to me !! This is what Ed Mullen told me and I have quoted this before putting it here again...

If anyone has ever been to a commercial club where EDM, hip-hop, dub-step, etc. is being played - it's very loud and the subwoofers are deliberately running way hot and the entire atmosphere is literally throbbing with chest slamming bass. 

The only reason I would suggest a sealed sub-woofer is because that size room will have lots of room gain, which will lift and flatten the low-end response and add considerable output capability in the 18-36 Hz octave. 

Subjectively a sealed sub in that size space will sound more balanced with more emphasis in the mid/upper bass where it counts for EDM and similar music genres. And the footprint is much smaller - which tends to be a lifestyle priority in bedroom audio systems. 

The SB-1000 has higher mid/upper bass output capability and is subjectively punchier and tighter. This makes it a good choice for music applications. The SB-1000 is also quite small and integrates into bedroom systems more easily. And in smaller rooms it will sound more balanced than a ported sub if there is no equalization of the subwoofer channel. 

The PB-1000 extends deeper and has a significant max output advantage <35 Hz, and would be a better choice for a mostly movie application since the LFE channel has so much content in the 18-36 Hz octave. And an AVR which EQs the subwoofer channel will lop-off excessive room gain and restore a balanced sound to the subwoofer.    

the SB-1000 with its light weight 12" driver has considerably higher mid/upper bass output and is subjectively punchier and tighter than the PB-1000 - which again favors EDM. Of course <35 Hz the PB-1000 turns the tables...."

Now I do not understand an iota of what this means, it is all gone as bummer to me.

@twk123 That was a great explanantion

@twk123, @derrickdj1, @dtel

Hey Guys,

I am under going the process of Auditioning some of the Klipsch Speakers that I have been able to get my hands on at a Local Distributor including the Sixes. I will soon my observation for further clarity, this is going really intricate now, had a listen to the Klipsch Sixes and I will post my observation after I listen to it the second time. Planning to listen to it again for some final impressions. Please guys watch this thread. Thanks ! Give me a 2-3 day time. But It is getting sweetly interesting also ! In short for a Trailer to you guys...I am Awestruck, with the kind of Products Klipsch has in the year 2018 after what I had a chance to listen to them back in 2007-2008

• Moderators
6 hours ago, augustya30 said:

But you know it is becoming technical for me, I do not understand of what Mid Bass is what upper BASS is, what more deeper and lower BASS is ? It all sound greek and latin to me !!

Look it and read, it would be easier to understand looking at many charts as to what is included in the frequency chart.  Here are a couple for a rough idea, look at websites that talk about club music and what your trying to reproduce, there are many websites describing club type goals of frequencies your going for.

For what your trying to do the Sixes will not make this happen, you need speakers much more powerful, if you try to use the Sixes or any others that are to small or weak your going to be wasting money and your not going to be happy at all. YOU NEED REAL SPEAKERS, NOT TOYS  for club music or even normal live music reproduction. Do not throw away you money on something that is not going to give you what you want, you will replace or blow them up trying to get club sound, either way you threw away money.  Clubs don't use bookshelf speakers for a reason, I am not trying to disappoint you I am trying to save you time and money.

Some charts for rough ideas on different frequencies.  You can figure this out just be patient. 

main_chart.jpg

EQ4.jpg

34 minutes ago, dtel said:

Look it and read, it would be easier to understand looking at many charts as to what is included in the frequency chart.  Here are a couple for a rough idea, look at websites that talk about club music and what your trying to reproduce, there are many websites describing club type goals of frequencies your going for.

For what your trying to do the Sixes will not make this happen, you need speakers much more powerful, if you try to use the Sixes or any others that are to small or weak your going to be wasting money and your not going to be happy at all. YOU NEED REAL SPEAKERS, NOT TOYS  for club music or even normal live music reproduction. Do not throw away you money on something that is not going to give you what you want, you will replace or blow them up trying to get club sound, either way you threw away money.  Clubs don't use bookshelf speakers for a reason, I am not trying to disappoint you I am trying to save you time and money.

I have a budget of Sixes or the RP-160M and for a Sub RS112SW or the R110SW in best case scenario. I do not have a Monetary Budget of more than that !! So again I completely agree with @twk123 I am not trying to create a RAVE CAVE where people come and Dance in, I am just trying to have a Music system which would give a great dance club kind of feel, not literal but sort of,  just setting up a nice system to sit on the couch and listen to electronic music by myself? I do not have any commercial application for this. It is just me myself in a room size of 12x10 (Length x Width) 120 Square Feet as Europeans and rest of the world calls it.

A budget of around $1500-Max $2000

• Moderators

I completely understand budget, having any is a good thing. 

Where do you live (roughly) was just thinking about other options. I ask because there are onliner dealers , if not used is a good option.

Just trying to get you closer to what your hoping for, my choice of the two would be the RP-160 and not the Sixes. Because the Sixes has the amp built in and for what you want to me it seems limited, a separate receiver always gives you more flexibility.  

Just need to figure out the best combination for your budget and to have as close to everything your hoping for. 

Be patient everyone here can help but there is nothing we can do after you buy.

1 hour ago, dtel said:

I completely understand budget, having any is a good thing. 

Where do you live (roughly) was just thinking about other options. I ask because there are onliner dealers , if not used is a good option.

Just trying to get you closer to what your hoping for, my choice of the two would be the RP-160 and not the Sixes. Because the Sixes has the amp built in and for what you want to me it seems limited, a separate receiver always gives you more flexibility.  

Just need to figure out the best combination for your budget and to have as close to everything your hoping for. 

Be patient everyone here can help but there is nothing we can do after you buy.

I am am a little surprised that, between the Sixes and the RP-160M you voted for the SIXES because firstly, I have been told that there is no difference quality of sound between a Powered Speaker and Passive speakers, not that powered are inferior and passive are superior in terms of quality of sound ! Second I am told that sixes have a little more power than the the RP-160M though I believe both have 100 WATTS output per channel right ?

SIXES are supposed to be inner when'll on their own also have a big woofer so they inherently also on their own are capable of producing good, boomy BASS let alone adding a sub to it, that would add some RAW Power to it isn't ? So why do you say that the RP-160 M would be a better choice over the SIXES ? Wouldn't the Sixes let's say paired with the R110sW or the R112SW sound like a killer combo in a room of 12x10 I think I would be quite room filling Right ? Both are reference  series ? isn't it ? Anything more better than this that is there if you think apart from Sixes and the RP-160M I would be more than happy to check it out !! Why do you say RP-160M would be a better choice over the Sixes ?

• Moderators

One of the things that scares me is like with the Sixes if the amp goes out you have to figure a way to power it, and standalone receivers are built a little better to me.

If it were me I would pick the RP-160 over the Sixes, but I would also shop to see if I could do better with the budget set.

Where are you at, here another country ? Just trying to figure out what choices we have to pick out everything because if here (US) there are some Internet dealers or regular dealers we could get some prices from ? And still stay in your budget but get the most we can.

On 5/4/2018 at 9:40 PM, twk123 said:

This brings up some important questions. First, are you actually going to make this a 'Rave Cave' and have people dancing in the room or are you just setting up a nice system to sit on the couch and listen to electronic music? Next, what is your budget and what speakers do you currently have? Third, how handy are you in regards to woodworking and electronics? 

If you really want to get into it. Most electronic dance music venues now run FunktionONE speaker sets which have horn loaded sub woofers. Luckily, you can build your own home version:

More realistically, Derrick hit the nail on the head earlier with the dual 18'' flat packs with an INuke amp. Even a Single 15'' Reference HO sub with 800 Watts will drop the floor out of that room for about $400 if you get the flat pack. You will never get near a true dance club feel with 10'' or 12'' subs. I personally recommend sealed as you dont need them to dig quite a deep and you really dont want chuffing noise. 

You will never be able to replicate a festival sound in a room. Those systems run tens of thousands of watts into free, open space which is something that you can only get by being outside. However, you can model your room off the gold standard for EDM clubs which is Beta Nightclub in Denver which many top DJs agree is their favorite place to play due to the sound system and setup.

As you can see, it is based on high efficiency fully horn loaded speakers. Luckily, this can be achieved at home with a nice set of LaScalas and some good subs. Here is a photo of @Youthman's home theater system which  fairly closely replicates the sound system and given your room size will actually be fairly comparable. If you cant budget the $1,200 or so for used LaScalas, the KG 5.5's usually run about $300 and are great for EDM and mesh really well with direct radiating subs. So if you can pony up about $800 then get some KG 5.5s or similar, and a flat pack 15'' sub with an INuke 1000 you will be pretty well set for a decent system.

The point here is you can achieve a pretty unreal system at home to rival some of the best clubs in the world but we really need to know what your budget is and how far you are willing to do down the rabbit hole to achieve this. This forum is a great place and we are more than happy to walk you through each step of getting gear and setting up your room.

Hi ! That is a great wealth of Information that you have put. A lot of terms that you have used I am not familiar with like for e.g. You kept saying Lascalas ? what is that is that a speaker name or  Sub Name ? You also mentioned "KG 5.5", "18'' flat packs with an INuke amp and a flat pack 15'' sub with an INuke 1000 ? what is it ? I have no idea what is it ? So can you please tell me what is it ? And you picked up my pulse pretty accurately, I am not trying to create a RAVE CAVE where people and come Dance. No that is certainly not what I am trying to do, all that I am trying to do is in a room size of 10x12=120 Sqaure Feet, when I play Electronic BASS with Pounding BASS it sounds so pretty damn good to someone especially to me, that it kind of reminds of a dance club that is what I am trying to say. So please take the "Dance Club" word metaphorically and not literally !! With a MAX Budget of $2000 USD how far can I go ? And wI would also not like to get any Professional Audio stuff. We are talking a room size of 10x12 that is such a tiny room. Why do you need all Guns Blazing in such a small area. But yes the experience has to be like a small dance room 😀 I dont know if it makes sense to you guys ! lol !

So guys last Saturday I had a chance to listen to a couple of Klipsch Products at one of the Local Distributors and he happened to show me a couple of products. So we had a chance to listen to the Klipsch SIXES first with a JAMO Subwoofer attached to it  and frankly to me it did not sound much different to me from my current 120 WATTS JBL Authentics L8, adding the Jamo Sub-Woofer was not making any wow feeling to me, yes but the moment he detached the SUB from the Sixes, surprisingly the Sixes on their own sounded pretty Boomy and I think it was upper and Mid BASS heavy, and infact I liked that sound of the Klipsch SIXES alone than when the JAMO SUB was attached to it. And the demo guy told me maybe perhaps the JAMO Sub, may have sounded a little MEH to you, but if you are gonna use the Klipsch R112SW or the R10SW SUBS they will for sure make you feel better than this because both are reference Sub-Woofers.

So guys am I on the right track ? what am I missing here ? How do I conclude this? Will the Klipsch Sixes with a R112SW or the R10SW anytime sound better than my current JBL L8 is that for given or what ?

Then we had a chance to listen to the Klipsch Forte, And Holy Cow ! What an amazing piece of audio equipment is that ? he had two units of it standing on the floor in a room size of 14 Feet meaning 200 Square feet, and when both of them played simultaneously it created a surreal atmosphere, environment, with the Progressive House Tracks I had, Mind Blowing. The BASS was tight, clean though I would say it sounded clean. It did feel like a Lounge room of a dance club, night club, But guys you know how much is he quoting for those a pair of it  a whopping $7000 USD !! lol !!  When I compare it with the Sixes, the Sixes sounded more Boomy, more emphatic. The reason I am describing it in more detail is that so you guys get an idea of the kind of sound I am after. So now I kind of understand the difference between Clean BASS and Boomy Bass. is there no ways that I can get Klipsch Forte sound in a low budget scene ? He was saying maybe I can look for the Klipsch Heresys that is like a small brother of the Forte that may sound good to you aswell if you like the Forte, but again he was quoting $3500 USD for that !! That is insane price for me !!

So if I like the sound of the Klipsch Forte is there not like a small avatar of it available in smaller form factor and lesser price ?

6 hours ago, dtel said:

One of the things that scares me is like with the Sixes if the amp goes out you have to figure a way to power it, and standalone receivers are built a little better to me.

If it were me I would pick the RP-160 over the Sixes, but I would also shop to see if I could do better with the budget set.

Where are you at, here another country ? Just trying to figure out what choices we have to pick out everything because if here (US) there are some Internet dealers or regular dealers we could get some prices from ? And still stay in your budget but get the most we can.

I didn't listen to the RP160M that day, I will try to give it a go again, but are you sure the RP-160M sound superior and have better sound quality than the Klipsch Sixes for my kind of requirement and application ? Both are 100 Watts per Channel right ?

8 hours ago, augustya30 said:

Hi ! That is a great wealth of Information that you have put. A lot of terms that you have used I am not familiar with like for e.g. You kept saying Lascalas ? what is that is that a speaker name or  Sub Name ? You also mentioned "KG 5.5", "18'' flat packs with an INuke amp and a flat pack 15'' sub with an INuke 1000 ? what is it ? I have no idea what is it ? So can you please tell me what is it ? And you picked up my pulse pretty accurately, I am not trying to create a RAVE CAVE where people and come Dance. No that is certainly not what I am trying to do, all that I am trying to do is in a room size of 10x12=120 Sqaure Feet, when I play Electronic BASS with Pounding BASS it sounds so pretty damn good to someone especially to me, that it kind of reminds of a dance club that is what I am trying to say. So please take the "Dance Club" word metaphorically and not literally !! With a MAX Budget of $2000 USD how far can I go ? And wI would also not like to get any Professional Audio stuff. We are talking a room size of 10x12 that is such a tiny room. Why do you need all Guns Blazing in such a small area. But yes the experience has to be like a small dance room 😀 I dont know if it makes sense to you guys ! lol !

Hey sorry, we throw a lot of terms around here. The LaScala is a heritage speaker and one of the original designs that the founder Paul Klipsch designed himself. They usually run around $900 to $1500 on the used market depending on condition. They have extremely high efficiency and but do not have a lot of bass without a subwoofer. The KG 5.5 is a discontinued speaker but was their top of the line model in the 90s. I have both models and for electronic music the KG 5.5 are my favorite speaker with ridiculous amounts of bass and a very 'open' sound.

$2,000 is a healthy budget and you can do a lot with that. Regarding subs, the best bang for the buck is what is known as a 'flat pack'. The company ships you the subwoofer driver and the cabinet comes in pre-cut pieces that need to be glued together. If you have some basic experience with woodworking its a pretty easy project as the pieces are CNC cut and fit together perfectly. Here is a link to the 18'' pack for $385:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-18-reference-series-ho-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7094

Here is a good $1,000 watt plate amp for $334:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-spa1000-1000w-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-809

There are cheaper amps such as the venerable INuke for about $150 but it is not 'plug and play' like the other amp and I would not recommend it unless you have some knowledge of electronics and connections. It is a pro audio amp so you will need special adapters etc:

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-NU1000-BEHRINGER-iNUKE/dp/B00LGNFALY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525705024&sr=8-1&keywords=inuke

I dont know too much about off the shelf subwoofers but others here can point you in the right direction.

As for speakers, the Sixes are great for what they are meant for which is a standalone 2 channel system but are really not what you are looking for. The Forte III are incredible but as you mentioned are above your price range. Klipsch.com has some good sales right now and the RP-280 will be a very god choice for your setup. These are more or less the modern equivalent to the KG 5.5s The Piano Black looks very slick as well:

https://www.klipsch.com/products/rp-280f-piano-black

These will run you about $1,200 for the set. 

If you get 2 of these 12'' subwoofers for $700 total it will put you right about at your budget and dual 12'' subs running 800W will be plenty for your room:

https://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-subwoofers?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Shop+Now&utm_content=NEW+SPECIALS+ADDED!+Movie+Night+Deals+Continue&utm_campaign=050618+WproJR+Movie+Night+-+Remail+(New+Specials+Added)&_bta_tid=04053352195476426753873233073451071144971028213839354482247828609131673874400271435983498756506949237768&_bta_c=gnchjwob57f4eod38hdj8dz19era0&model=r-12sw

If you let us know your location, we can help you look at some used options as well.

3 hours ago, twk123 said:

Hey sorry, we throw a lot of terms around here. The LaScala is a heritage speaker and one of the original designs that the founder Paul Klipsch designed himself. They usually run around $900 to $1500 on the used market depending on condition. They have extremely high efficiency and but do not have a lot of bass without a subwoofer. The KG 5.5 is a discontinued speaker but was their top of the line model in the 90s. I have both models and for electronic music the KG 5.5 are my favorite speaker with ridiculous amounts of bass and a very 'open' sound.

$2,000 is a healthy budget and you can do a lot with that. Regarding subs, the best bang for the buck is what is known as a 'flat pack'. The company ships you the subwoofer driver and the cabinet comes in pre-cut pieces that need to be glued together. If you have some basic experience with woodworking its a pretty easy project as the pieces are CNC cut and fit together perfectly. Here is a link to the 18'' pack for $385:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-18-reference-series-ho-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7094

Here is a good $1,000 watt plate amp for $334:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-spa1000-1000w-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-809

There are cheaper amps such as the venerable INuke for about $150 but it is not 'plug and play' like the other amp and I would not recommend it unless you have some knowledge of electronics and connections. It is a pro audio amp so you will need special adapters etc:

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-NU1000-BEHRINGER-iNUKE/dp/B00LGNFALY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525705024&sr=8-1&keywords=inuke

I dont know too much about off the shelf subwoofers but others here can point you in the right direction.

As for speakers, the Sixes are great for what they are meant for which is a standalone 2 channel system but are really not what you are looking for. The Forte III are incredible but as you mentioned are above your price range. Klipsch.com has some good sales right now and the RP-280 will be a very god choice for your setup. These are more or less the modern equivalent to the KG 5.5s The Piano Black looks very slick as well:

https://www.klipsch.com/products/rp-280f-piano-black

These will run you about $1,200 for the set. 

If you get 2 of these 12'' subwoofers for $700 total it will put you right about at your budget and dual 12'' subs running 800W will be plenty for your room:

https://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-subwoofers?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Shop+Now&utm_content=NEW+SPECIALS+ADDED!+Movie+Night+Deals+Continue&utm_campaign=050618+WproJR+Movie+Night+-+Remail+(New+Specials+Added)&_bta_tid=04053352195476426753873233073451071144971028213839354482247828609131673874400271435983498756506949237768&_bta_c=gnchjwob57f4eod38hdj8dz19era0&model=r-12sw

If you let us know your location, we can help you look at some used options as well.

So you are saying running the RP280F along with additional subs ? I don't think I will have that much space to have the floor standing RP280F also and along with it have 2 more additional subs ? is that what you are saying ?

I am in India.