Question regarding my rear speaker choice and mounting advice

Turbonated

First timer here. So far i'm in love with my two R-28F's and R-12SW. I'm ready to add rear speakers and a center. I'm thinking about the RP-250C for the center and RS-42 II's for the rear. First question, how is my speaker choice and to they match up well? Second question with the RS-42 II's I would like to wall mount them and angle them down, how can I do that? Can I safely drill into the back without damaging anything internally or is there a better mounting solution for these?

6 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

Many of the Klipsch surround speakers have keyhole slots and/or threaded inserts on the back panel.  http://www.klipsch.com/products/rs-42-ii-surround-speaker

I see that but I didn't want to mount flush against the wall. I'm about to cave and just buy a pair at $180 a speaker and figure it out later. Or I might just key hole mount them flush. 

14 hours ago, Turbonated said:

I'm ready to add rear speakers and a center.

I think you'll find your AVR won't let you go directly to rear speakers.  It will make you add side surrounds first in a 5.1.

I have run 5.1 and put the surrounds up high and in the back near ceiling height but I have such a goofy room it almost doesn't matter where I put the things.  My perception was running the sides in the back didn't make much difference in the sound but I'm not a big fan of 5.1 anyway, preferring 3.1.  Speaker sounds from 5.1 content which are beside me and behind me tend to freak me out unless I am running All Speakers Stereo.

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I think you'll find your AVR won't let you go directly to rear speakers.  It will make you add side surrounds first in a 5.1.

Could you elaborate more on this? My room set up is pretty weird so side speakers aren't the best option right now. I always thought 5.1 meant Front R&L, Center and Rear R&L? By adding side surrounds first then rears wouldn't that be 7.1? 

30 minutes ago, Turbonated said:

I always thought 5.1 meant Front R&L, Center and Rear R&L?

According to my Marantz manual a 5 speaker floor layout is L/C/R, left side surround/right side surround.  THEN you can add back surround speakers for a 7 speaker layout.  When “Surround” is set to “None”, “Surr. Back”, “Surround Dolby” and “Back Dolby” are automatically set to “None”.

If you add two rear speakers then you get 7 speakers.  L/C/R, SR, SL, BSR and BSL.

There are some movies which have 7.1 discrete sound but usually they use 5.1 and the side surround signal is duplicated for the rear surrounds.

In both my Onkyo TX NR717 in 7.2 and Marantz SR6001in 11.2.4 I cannot active the rear speakers until the side surrounds are activated first after identified by Audyssey.  My Marantz is more sophisticated than the Onk and I can run 5.1 bi-amped and Rear Height as an alternative to Rear Surround.

speaker-placement-7.1-dolby.jpg

surround-sound-speaker-setup-control-roo

13 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

So in your case you would place the speakers in the location closest to the diagram above, according to your room allowance, and at your avr/preamp/receiver or whatever you are using, make the setting as left and right surround speakers.

I thought I knew more than I did. TIL I guess. My couch is backed against the wall and there is no way I can have a set up like any of the pictures above. Can I get by with having the surround speakers on the wall behind me?