Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Youthman

Klipsch RSW-15 vs SVS SB-16

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Youthman said:

That's a good idea, especially since I have not heard them yet.   I have not yet heard the R-115SW but I don't think the R-115SW is on the same level as the RSW-15.  Dual 15's, larger amp, not to mention $900 MSRP vs $1800 MSRP.  Still might be fun though.

 

One thing to consider here, which you probably know already - a passive radiator sort of does the same job as a port.  The R-115SW is slot ported.  In theory, a ported 15" vs a 15" with a with a passive rad is a similar design with a similar outcome.  It's likely a good bit cheaper to manufacture a slot ported sub than an active/passive driver config.

 

The RSW-15 is NOT a dual driver sub.  It has a single 15" active driver, with a passive radiator.  I suppose there are advantages to active+passive vs. active+port(s), probably around ease of tuning and cost, maybe box size.

 

A good sub has the "right" amount of power, and absolute control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Yes, I got as much "slam" from a single RSW-15 as I did Dual Velodyne HGS15's so I sold the Velos.

It's because the Velo's go deeper, are a servo -controlled sealed design, and have less mid-bass punch than the Klipsch.  Bass that you can truly feel, the La Scala's provide enough mid-bass punch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bkevind said:

One thing to consider here, which you probably know already - a passive radiator sort of does the same job as a port.  

Actually, I learned this after posting the video.  I always thought the RSW-15 was considered a sealed sub but others have informed me that it's more like a ported.  Learn something new every day.

 

7 minutes ago, bkevind said:

The RSW-15 is NOT a dual driver sub.  It has a single 15" active driver, with a passive radiator.

That I did know.  The Active is in the back connected to the amp, the passive is in the front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frzninvt said:

Bass that you can truly feel, the La Scala's provide enough mid-bass punch.

Unfortunately, not in my theater room.  The LaScalas have very little bottom end without a sub.  They might do much better in my living room with hard wood floors.  The bass they do produce is clean though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it just depends on what frequencies they are playing.  I'm not certain what is considered as mid-bass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Actually, I learned this after posting the video.  I always thought the RSW-15 was considered a sealed sub but others have informed me that it's more like a ported.  Learn something new every day.

 

That I did know.  The Active is in the back connected to the amp, the passive is in the front.

 

Cool, I'm late to the party :D  I just keep seeing "dual driver" thrown around about the RSW-15, which kind of makes me twitch a little bit. haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I might be the one saying that but I do realize it doesn't have a magnet or speaker terminals.  It moves based on the pressure created from the Active Driver.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Did you ever switch side to side to eliminate room issues?  If I understand this correctly, you kept the SVS's on one side and Klipsch on the other?

On left I had 2 RSW-15, on right I had 1 SVS.  Turned top left RSW-15 off so it was 1 vs 1.  We did not switch sides of the subs.

 

Then we removed the 2 RSW-15 from the left side and replaced it with the other SVS so now we have 1 SVS on left and 1 on right which would have been the same locations as the Dual RSW-15 that we tested.  I can upload a photo when I get home of the Dual SVS in place behind the screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mid bass slam that you feel in your chest is normally around 50 to 80 Hz which is coincidentally the same frequencies that your chest resonates at.  Infrasonics are felt in your chair, mid bass is felt in your chest.  Lascalas with proper amplification have good mid bass slam.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

Mid bass slam that you feel in your chest is normally around 50 to 80 Hz which is coincidentally the same frequencies that your chest resonates at. 

Gotcha.  What I was feeling was in my chest more with the RSW-15 than the SB-16.  I'm sure the SB-16 dig deeper as the RSW-15 lose authority below 30Hz and drop like a rock at 20Hz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Youthman said:

the RSW-15 lose authority below 30Hz

I believe that's by design and built into the amp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since your La Scala's are on a pedestal and don't have the advantage of corner boundaries perhaps that is why you are losing some low end response.  (Not that it is an issue since you have four RSW-15's) I also have two Cornwall's and four Heresy's to back mine up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure.  When I first bought them, I had a different cabinet and could only demo them in front of the cabinet so they have never been in a position to hear them in corners.  Might be completely different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Gotcha.  What I was feeling was in my chest more with the RSW-15 than the SB-16.  I'm sure the SB-16 dig deeper as the RSW-15 lose authority below 30Hz and drop like a rock at 20Hz

I tried to find on the web a shootout from about 2001 between the RSW-15, KSW-15, HGS18, and a few other brands and models.  What I did notice was the reviewer/s praised the RSW15 for it's musicality and midbass punch.  If I can find it I will post a link.

 

Found it.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_4/subwoofers-12-2001.html

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, willland said:

What I did notice was the reviewer/s praised the RSW15 for it's musicality and midbass punch. 

I primarily (read every night) listen to multichannel music in our HT listed below and why I purchased the subs in the first place. That said, I really cant wait until someone does and A/B between the RSW-15 and R-11SW. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

I primarily (read every night) listen to multichannel music in our HT listed below and why I purchased the subs in the first place. That said, I really cant wait until someone does and A/B between the RSW-15 and R-11SW. 

I'm assuming you meant R-115SW?

 

It really isn't a fair fight.  The msrp of the RSW-15 adjusted for inflation (2001 to 2018) is roughly $2550.00 vs the current msrp of the R-115SW's $900.00.  They are in 2 different classes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not heard the R – 115SW’s but I to think that they are probably in two different leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm assuming you meant R-115SW?

 

It really isn't a fair fight.  The msrp of the RSW-15 adjusted for inflation (2001 to 2018) is roughly $2550.00 vs the current msrp of the R-115SW's $900.00.  They are in 2 different classes.

 

3 hours ago, Youthman said:

I have not heard the R – 115SW’s but I to think that they are probably in two different leagues.

I thought the same thing but ItsmyForte (can't remember his Klipsch forum name) said he preferred the R-115SW over a souped up RSW-15 at AVS Forum and on a thread here.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here it is: 

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2014 at 7:54 PM, Jay L said:

If you really like the RSW-15, I urge you to try the new R-115SW. It will go toe to toe with the elder beast. I would even say it sounds better in a musical sense.

I am biased though as I was completely entrenched in all the new subwoofers released this fall. This coming from a person that owns two "modified" RSW-15s.

To answer the original thread title, I will respond by saying "we are listening to your cries". :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...