Must see documentary

K5SS

Have not seen this but it is along the lines of functional medicine.  I follow this and have had great results.  I got rid of all wheat products and processed grains (except a little brown rice), all dairy, coffee and alcohol. 

Allergies gone, fatigue gone, other symptoms gone.  I have tons of energy and exercise every day.  Need to eat clean, exercise and take care of other factors (ex. mercury fillings).

I am going to pick up 30 lbs of grass fed beef in the morning, should last one year.  My meals are mostly vegetables (75% or more), a little rice or sweet potato and a little meat at one or two meals a day (small amounts). 

• Like 1

I just watched it.  It's very high on theory and emotion and very low on science.  In short, man developed agriculture 10,000 years ago, with a big focus on grains, which deliver carbohydrates.  It is suggested that this is an unnatural diet, which causes obesity, heart disease, autism and about any other ailment from which we might suffer.

I try to watch claims such as these using my skeptic's hat.  Out of the starting gate, I am not a fan of claims that our modern life isn't "natural."  Who says?  People are doing what they do by some force, and if it's not the force of nature, what the heck is it?  Satan?  Obviously, we don't make scientific claims based on gods and tooth fairies, so the claim that our behavior isn't natural doesn't fly.

There was a tiny twinge of claims by a few people who participated in a 10-week study (which seems to have gone on for maybe 4-5 months by the time we reach the end) that their new low carb, high fat diet started making them feel better and improved medical lab results in things like HDL, LDL, insulin, etc.  These were pretty much bald claims.  I believe these clinical measurements can improve with an improved diet, though, but I am not convinced it has to be low carb to get there. 

Most curious to me was that at the end, all the fat people in the study were still just as fat as they appeared 4-5 months previously (before they started the diet).  I certainly would not have expected that.  They said they felt better and had better clinical measurements, but aesthetically, there was no change.  My guess is the high fat component of the diet kept them fat. 

9 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I got rid of all wheat products and processed grains (except a little brown rice), all dairy, coffee and alcohol. 

Get rid or wheat products?  Rats, I just switched from white bread to whole wheat and now I've gotta get rid of that too?  I just saw where sugar substitutes are now just as bad for diabetes as sugar is.  :wacko:

Is there anything left that doesn't cause cancer, give you a condition or make you fat?  :blink:

8 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Get rid or wheat products?  Rats, I just switched from white bread to whole wheat and now I've gotta get rid of that too?  I just saw where sugar substitutes are now just as bad for diabetes as sugar is.  :wacko:

Is there anything left that doesn't cause cancer, give you a condition or make you fat?  :blink:

That's nothing.  I found out yesterday that tonic water has high fructose corn syrup in it?  How am I supposed to make a G&T now?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

The newer alcohol based sugar substitutes are roughly about a 50% better (Less caustic) than sugar according to my doctor. The main problems are "relatives" who don't give a hoot about sugar , salt, and all the other stuff that kills ya at Thanksgiving and such.

JJK

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

...Is there anything left that doesn't cause cancer, give you a condition or make you fat?  :blink:

Exercise ;)

Actually, healthy eating/living is pretty simple. Burn more calories than you take in (move and exercise). Consume in moderation. Eat things that look like they did when grown/born. i.e. eat an orange don't drink orange juice from a carton. Eat a chicken thigh not a chicken nugget. Watch both Forks over Knives and Food inc. Food inc. will probably cure you from wanting to eat chicken.

• Like 1

Natural vs. Unnatural (Re: J. Matthews)

I would propose that when the discussion is "food" most dieticians and health experts use "natural" to imply whole food stuffs that (usually)  occur throughout the world without assitance from man and machine and processing. An orange is an orange is an orange, whereas "bread" exists as the creation of men. Many of the ingredients in grocery store bread requiring massive chemical plant infrastructure to obtain. See photo.

IMG_0048-copy.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:14 AM, Jeff Matthews said:

In short, man developed agriculture 10,000 years ago, with a big focus on grains, which deliver carbohydrates.  It is suggested that this is an unnatural diet, which causes obesity, heart disease, autism and about any other ailment from which we might suffer.

Totally with you on this, Jeff. I believe it both from science and from observation. My grandparents generation was the last to practice largely "from the earth" food. They ate massive quantities of fat, grains, meats, eggs, and vegetables every day. They worked manual labor dawn to dusk and all lived long and healthy lives.

Evolution made humans basically garbage recycling machines. It is not about what you eat, but what you do after you eat. Most people today eat like they are about to go out and plow a hundred acres with a mule...then go sit on a couch and drink beer. Diet will not help with that. 

Dave

• Like 3