KLF-20 new to me

Smokinone

I just bought a pair of KLF-20 speakers in the light oak. A little beat up but they'll kinda be tucked away. I would like to know what the original feet look like, or if I do have the original feet and caps, and/or what can be done to change them out. I have only 7 of the 8 caps if they are the originals. The speakers will be on tile flooring so I want something that won't crack or chip that and will be OK as far as vibration etc.

Also considering the Bob Crites rebuild crossover and the titanium diaphragm's if they are available. I contacted Bob today and waiting for a response on those. Does anyone know off hand if the crossover rebuild kit makes any changes to values?

Thanks

Tim

00606_dljOEIZ0aTT_1200x900.jpg

DSC01007.jpg

DSC01009.jpg

DSC01011.jpg

DSC01012.jpg

00p0p_8PDlAgUuFQ8_1200x900.jpg

00g0g_9Aqx1tPaIej_1200x900.jpg

Edited by Smokinone
additional pics
  • Like 2

If you order crossovers or crossover parts from Bob, be sure to order a pair of his titanium tweeter diaphragms. For $54, one of the best upgrades you can do. This way you are already paying for shipping on the other stuff.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Welcome, those look great

On 4/25/2018 at 6:22 PM, Smokinone said:

I have only 7 of the 8 caps if they are the originals.

I don't know if that's original or not, but one of those little round felt pads would work I would think, the kind like you can put on the bottom of chair legs, they come in many different sizes with one side being sticky.

2 hours ago, dtel said:

Welcome, those look great

I don't know if that's original or not, but one of those little round felt pads would work I would think, the kind like you can put on the bottom of chair legs, they come in many different sizes with one side being sticky.

That's a good idea. I have come to the conclusion that they are the originals, minus the spike feet that came with them as well.

I'll go over to the home depot with one of the caps and see if I can find something, or maybe some kind of threaded foot that would screw into the threaded studs that are exposed when the caps are removed.

Very nice.  I believe that the spikes are just 1/4"x20 that fit in those feet.  I just ground points on cut threaded rod for my rug.  Since you are on tile, some other type or at least those circular bases for spikes would be in order to use to level the speakers correctly.

6 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Very nice.  I believe that the spikes are just 1/4"x20 that fit in those feet.  I just ground points on cut threaded rod for my rug.  Since you are on tile, some other type or at least those circular bases for spikes would be in order to use to level the speakers correctly.

That's good information. I was wondering what the thread was and that sounds like the route I may go...some threaded feet with large pads, or at least larger than the threaded stud.

Thanks much for that.

17 hours ago, pzannucci said:

try this  https://www.amazon.ca/4-20-DIAMETER-FELT-LEVELERS-PIECES/dp/B00O66SWPO/ref=pd_sim_196_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DD0RW3ZYS867SPNBY9GV

or something similar.

I was going to say just go to Home Depot or Lowes and get 8 bolts to verify that they fit well in your feet.  Put some felt on the heads (Walmart), and you are out of it for $2 along with being sure they can hold the weight.  Plastic feet with bass vibration and close to 100 lb load may not last that long.

This is what I went with. We'll see how it goes. The price range on these is all over, but they all appear to be the same feet. Supposed to go 100lbs each so the weight is covered, as far as durability, that will have to be determined in time.

https://www.amazon.com/Huayueyun-Furniture-Levelers-Adjusting-Threaded/dp/B077PN5ZD2

Well, thought I'd do an update. Mr Crites shipped the crossover rebuild kit and titanium diaphragms Monday, I received them on Wednesday and went to work.

I was able to just pull the upper woofer and the tweeter to do the work. I removed the crossovers from the cabinet, removed the old caps, cleaned off the old hot glue and installed the new caps from Bob. Not pretty but will do the job. I applied hot glue to the newly installed caps. I didn't get any pictures of the tweeter change out but it is pretty straight forward and illustrated at Bob's site.

I installed the 1/4 x 20 felt feet. That worked out great as well. I can now slide the speakers around much easier. They seem to be very sturdy, and provide some adjustment for uneven flooring.

I also changed out the Monster XP wire I was feeding the speakers with, and went with 12ga. KORD SPEAKER KABLE by KNUKONCEPTZ. I also put gold plated spade type lugs at the speaker terminals instead of the banana type plugs. I cut the new speaker cables to the exact same length on each channel.

While I was not too impressed initially with the KLF-20's, I now have a better appreciation for them. The Mexican caps that were pulled were all within specs, but evidently were not doing the job as it sounds like a new set of speakers compared to what I brought home. The highs are clearer now and that is due to the titanium diaphragm's I'm sure, but I also suspect the new caps help as well. I have also gained in the bass department.

I am now ready to sell the RF3 II's me thinks.

Thanks for all the help and comments I received here.

DSC01029.jpg

DSC01037.jpg

DSC01047.jpg

DSC01045.jpg

13 hours ago, dtel said:

Looking good, your good for 20 years, then start thinking about new caps again, but you have plenty time. :D

Glad your liking them. :emotion-21:

For sure.  I wish I could find a pair of 30s or 20s that were in that shape.  I have too many speakers but they would not be passed up.

• Like 1