Passive sound bar

daddyo

Thinking about using a passive sound bar, Klipsch 440D, as the L/C/R for a 5.1 surround system in new house.   14x14x9 listening room with MLP about 9 ft from L/C/R.    Bipolar surrounds.   Hsu sub and Yamaha Aventage avr.    Movies/TV about 80%.  It seems that the tradeoff is L/R spacing and smaller drivers but benefiting from a relatively clean, neat front.    The 20% music is mostly soft rock.     I'm thinking that the 30 day return oprion gives me a chance to try it and if not happy then replace the bar with a proper L/C/R.   Am I way off base with this approach ?

BTW, my baseline is a Def Tech Procinema 600 5.1 HT in a slightly smaller space.   Works ok for me but I'd like a bit more dialogue clarity (hi-freq) and hoping that the Klipsch horns would provide this.    Similar sized drivers in the DT 600 but I would expect the Klipsch bipolar surrounds will be a big step up

If you want a clean front end then this is not a bad option. I am sure the speakers are all tone matched as well for a seamless front soundstage. That is a lot of money for a passive soundbar though. It will be ok for casual TV and low levels but you will never get the big cinema sound that you can get from standalone speakers. Klipsch is having a sale right now and for a little more  you can get some good floor standing speakers and a center:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-floorstanding-speakers?model=r-28f

http://www.klipsch.com/products/klipsch-reference-center-channel-speakers?model=r-25c