Crossover Help

ffebles

So I just purchased some new RP series speakers and I have no idea what the best settings would be for them besides setting them up to Large and Small.  

Can someone help me with some crossover specs?

My Receiver is Onkyo TX-NR838

Speakers are: 

RP-280F Floor Spakers

RP-450C Center

RP-250s Surrounds

R-115SW Sub

I did the calibration with the Microphone but I think all that does is set up the distance/levels but does not set up the crossover for the speakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  

I'd love to have them dialed in and singing!  

Thanks

@ffebles,

Welcome to the forum.

My suggestion, surrounds at 80Hz, center at 70Hz and fronts start at 80Hz and move down to your liking.  You may find that 50Hz sounds better to your ears.  Play around a bit with your center and fronts.  Also, adjust toe-in with mains and tilt, up or down based on where your ear level is.  Your subwoofer's onboard setting should be at it's highest crossover point or "disabled".

Bill

On 4/27/2018 at 5:29 PM, ffebles said:

So I just purchased some new RP series speakers and I have no idea what the best settings would be for them besides setting them up to Large and Small.  

Can someone help me with some crossover specs?

My Receiver is Onkyo TX-NR838

Speakers are: 

RP-280F Floor Spakers

RP-450C Center

RP-250s Surrounds

R-115SW Sub

I did the calibration with the Microphone but I think all that does is set up the distance/levels but does not set up the crossover for the speakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  

I'd love to have them dialed in and singing!  

Thanks

I just replaced my old receiver with a Yamaha RX-A1070 this week. Rather than use the setup mic I did it all manually, I've had bad experiences with the auto setup.

1- Pull out the manuals for the speakers, or check online for their frequencies response

2- on the receiver, set the speakers to small

3- Adjust the crossover points on the receiver

4- pull out a tape measure and check the distances of the speakers. Set the distances on the receiver.

5- Get your phone and download an SPL app and from your listening position set the speaker levels.

That's the way I do it. The sound from my updated system is great hope yours turns out the same 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

The distance measured by a tape measure and the actual acoustic may differ and the autocalibration distance may be more accurate.;)

Anything is possible, but my experience has been the opposite. I usually have to go back and tweak the auto setup after the fact, and it doesn't set the x-over points.

• Like 1