Amp, pre-amp, receiver advice for Forte IIs

Netscout

Picked up a pair of Forte IIs at a yard sale ($20!).  Passives were torn so I ordered a pair of KD 15s and installed them last week.  I have an older Pioneer Elite receiver (VSX 90 TXV), and I’m looking to replace it with something that a. sounds better, and b. has newer features.  My idea is to get a used power amp (Rotel, Adcom, NAD, help me decide there), and then either a pre-amp, processor, or a receiver with pre-out that gives me the newest features: usb, Bluetooth, network port, hdmi (nice to have, not critical), network connectivity, etc.   Definitely open to pre-owned/eBay.  Would ideally spend $150-$250 on the power amp, and about the same on the receiver or preamp.  Any suggestions?  Mainly I want to get the components that bring out the best in the speakers and deliver some modern functionality.  Two channel setup.  Thoughts on class D amps for the Forte IIs?

Welcome Scout, very nice score on the Forte 2s, of course some might find it hard to believe without some pictures to support this claim:D. I think your ideal spending for each of the components (and functionality) is a bit hopeful, although not impossible, and thus you'll have to really be hunting the used markets.

Based on what you have and are wanting, I would be tempted into checking out either the D3020 v.2 or the older 7050, both from NAD. Depending on where the majority of your music comes from, and the connection(s) available, would decide which version to go for. The older 7050 has a network connection and a USB A for connecting a computer. The newer 3020 can connect a computer as well, but it'd need to be through an optical link, and you lose the network connection.

Both have Bluetooth and I believe put out around 40 (3020) - 50 (7050) watts per channel of Class D power from NAD. With the sensitivity of your F2s listed as 99dB, this should be plenty to give you a nice sound. For what it's worth, I've never heard speakers on these systems, it just seems like it really fits your needs and budget. NAD is also a well respected brand.

If you're strictly 2-channel, I think it's safe to say to stay away from AVRs as you'll be paying for a bunch of processing that you just don't need. 

• Like 1

I will be in the minority here. Yes, a 200.00 amp will sound pretty good on fortes, but save your pennies for something better in the future. These speakers deserve a good front end and you will reap the rewards as the chain gets better. If you are only doing 2 channel, skip the processor (which is a compromise sonically) and put your money into a good integrated stereo amp. Personally, I like tubes. YMMV.

Anyway, congrats on a smoking deal and good luck going forward.

Shakey

• Like 1

@Netscout,

Welcome to the forum.

Maybe look into something this.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtm407/integra-dtm-40.7-2-x-80-watts-networking-stereo-receiver/1.html

Image result for integra DTM-40.7

Image result for integra DTM-40.7

Pretty much everything you mentioned except HDMI. 

I owned the older DTM-40.4 and it was a great sounding receiver.  It primarily drove my Heresys and Heresy II's but also drove my Quartets for a while.  Used it with it's onboard amps and it was clean and thumped pretty well.  Added an Acurus A100 amp to the mix and it really thumped down low.

Not going to tell you these are the end all in fidelity but the bang for the buck factor is really high.

This here is the newest version.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtm6/integra-dtm-6-2-x-80-watts-networking-stereo-receiver/1.html

Bill

• Like 1

There are quite a few budget amps that sound good with the forte's, getting the right piece at the right price might take a little time though. I really like some of the Carver stuff like the TFM-15, TFM-25 or the A-400x, some of the Adcoms sound pretty good too like the GFA-545 and 5400. The Parasound HCA-1000 is  great little amp as well. Tons of great vintage stuff out there that can be found in your price range, I'm sure others will chime in as well, good luck and congrats on the forte's!

• Like 1

Wow, thanks for all the great responses.  I’m checking out the Integra line.  Thoughts on the slim line Marantz NR 1607?  Gives me some flexibility if down the road I move to a new place and decide to explore HT with the HDMI and pre-out.  There are also some NR1605s out there at a great price point that seem pretty similar.   Just curious how the sound compares to the Integras and the 10year old Vsx90TXV that I have now if I hold off on buying a power amp.

those NAD digital integrated amps are funky looking.  I’m intrigued.

Anyone have any experience with the B&K ST1430 power amp?

Great point on being careful about 25+ year old power amps.

I’m not in a huge rush, so I’ll keep researching and keeping my eyes open for deals.

1 hour ago, Netscout said:

Anyone have any experience with the B&K ST1430 power amp?

Kind of a baby brother to the B&K EX4420 that I owned.  Warmish sound signature that should mate pretty well with the Forte II's.  Plenty of power and bass drive for them.

Bill

• Like 1

Hey guys, I am a newbie but I have been an owner/fan of klipsch for many many years. I also have F2’s as my front mains. For the money you can get a new Yahama or Denon receiver that would get the job done (I have had both) I am in the process of upgrading my F2’s and looking for an amp myself. I am jumping up a class for sure with used McIntosh, Krell, Conrad Johnson etc..PARAGON is a great source for these brands. Wait 6 months toss another $250 at your system and really rock. I like it clean and loud. Just an opion> I will ask for input when I narrow down my selection as well. 

Peace to all Klipsch lovers

• Like 1

On 4/27/2018 at 9:17 PM, Netscout said:

Picked up a pair of Forte IIs at a yard sale ($20!).  Passives were torn so I ordered a pair of KD 15s and installed them last week.  I have an older Pioneer Elite receiver (VSX 90 TXV), and I’m looking to replace it with something that a. sounds better, and b. has newer features.  My idea is to get a used power amp (Rotel, Adcom, NAD, help me decide there), and then either a pre-amp, processor, or a receiver with pre-out that gives me the newest features: usb, Bluetooth, network port, hdmi (nice to have, not critical), network connectivity, etc.   Definitely open to pre-owned/eBay.  Would ideally spend $150-$250 on the power amp, and about the same on the receiver or preamp.  Any suggestions?  Mainly I want to get the components that bring out the best in the speakers and deliver some modern functionality.  Two channel setup.  Thoughts on class D amps for the Forte IIs?

I personally like Class D quite a bit and they are a good option for your price range. If you want to do Class D, then this is a good option from Dayton Audio at 40 W per channel:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800

If you want class A/B, here is another good budget option for the price range:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-apa150-150w-power-amplifier--300-812

It looks like you are setting up a 2 channel stereo so I would stay away from AVR's which can affect the sound and have many more features than you need. What will be the primary source of your music? If you just have a laptop then a quality USB DAC (Digital Audio Converter) like the Schiit Modi 2 or Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 100 are your best bet for $100 to $200. My general rule for audio is the less components from source to speaker, the better off your final sound will be.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2018 at 11:17 PM, Netscout said:

Picked up a pair of Forte IIs at a yard sale ($20!)

JEEZ ... you LUCKY guy ... how come I never find bargains like that :D 

FYI, just picked up a JVC P-3030 preamp. Amazing ... have not hooked it up to my VTA ST70 tube amp, but tested it vs a Dynaco PAT-4 and a PAS-3 ... think it is much better. OK; who knows :D But you may want to check out some of these earlier preamps :) 

Cheers, Emile

IMG_2104.JPG

• Like 2

Picked up a Marantz nr1605 for now.  Sound is improved and I’ve got the features I was looking for., plus options to pre-out and/or multi-channel down the road.  I was worried the Marantz would be a downgrade in sound from the Pioneer Elite.  It’s not, and I love the low profile.  Plan is to save and eventually invest in a good power amp to run the Forte IIs.  My current budget would have resulted in too many compromises trying to get it all done at once.

Forte IIs sound amazing.  Gonna save my Quartets for home theater rears if my living situation changes and I have a bigger room to work with.

Thanks again!

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum!

Looks just fine and not the typical look of an AVR. Nice and modern enough for now.

May just be a keeper for you. Congrats on this and your Fortes...

Edit: BTW, guess you have found the pure direct on this unit. Hope so as, it mostly 

bypasses the DSP parts of the unit for 2 channel stereo play. Give us a review if you want to

sometime. The DAC in Marantz can be nice and sweet at times.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, billybob said:

Welcome to the forum!

Looks just fine and not the typical look of an AVR. Nice and modern enough for now.

May just be a keeper for you. Congrats on this and your Fortes...

Edit: BTW, guess you have found the pure direct on this unit. Hope so as, it mostly 

bypasses the DSP parts of the unit for 2 channel stereo play. Give us a review if you want to

sometime. The DAC in Marantz can be nice and sweet at times.

I’ve been running hi rez files (FLAC) through a thumb drive connected to the USB port.  Pure direct sounds great, but I lose on screen display when I engage it, so navigation is an issue.  Haven’t yet given the manual an in depth look to see how all the controls work.  I’m more of a dive right in and try things kind of guy.  I do love the look of the Marantz.

Anyone ever use pre-out from an AVR to a tube amp powering stereo mains?  I see a lot of reverse, with tube pre-amp to a SS power amp. Seems to me it would be better to have tubes pushing sound to the Fortes, with SS pre-amp.  Can anyone tell me why I’m wrong in this assumption?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Netscout said:

I’ve been running hi rez files (FLAC) through a thumb drive connected to the USB port.  Pure direct sounds great, but I lose on screen display when I engage it, so navigation is an issue.  Haven’t yet given the manual an in depth look to see how all the controls work.  I’m more of a dive right in and try things kind of guy.  I do love the look of the Marantz.

Anyone ever use pre-out from an AVR to a tube amp powering stereo mains?  I see a lot of reverse, with tube pre-amp to a SS power amp. Seems to me it would be better to have tubes pushing sound to the Fortes, with SS pre-amp.  Can anyone tell me why I’m wrong in this assumption?

Lol, you asked for it. They will show up soon enough. Cool!

On 5/1/2018 at 7:28 PM, Emile said:

FYI, just picked up a JVC P-3030 preamp. Amazing ... have not hooked it up to my VTA ST70 tube amp, but tested it vs a Dynaco PAT-4 and a PAS-3 ... think it is much better. OK; who knows :D But you may want to check out some of these earlier preamps :) 

Cheers, Emile

IMG_2104.JPG

JEEZ ... update.  Just got it back from my vintage tech :)  $210 to fix the selector switch and some new caps :(  Hope it's worth it ... but my tech offered me $400 for it :D