Matching Heresy II's with a tube amp

Tom_Birmingham

Happy Spring all, this will be the second thread I have started here on the Klipsch forum. 

The first was around the support getting an offer on Ebay in my local area and taking the plunge on some II's. All is well at the moment, I am aware though the amplification set-up needs to be addressed as I am on a lower budget amp. One of the things that my recommenders need to be aware of is that I do not have a big budget and see around the 600-700 mark to be about right, I noticed some people talking about the Yaqin Tube Amps and how well they go so thought I'd ask what people on here though, particularly around pairing. As you will see from my previous thread, the room my speakers is in is not massive. Fidelity is better than loudness in this circumstance. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Yaqin-Mc-13s-Bk-6ca7-BL-Vacuum-Tube-Push-pull-Integrated-Amplifier-Mc-10t-10l-UK/1650218982?iid=251707506149 this caught my eye. 

Also, as a word of caution, could you please explain your jargon. I am still getting my head around the terminology, when numbers come it makes little sense at the moment - any audio science notes/guidance would also be welcome. 

Tom

Tom, I took my Heresy IIs off of tv duty and now have them paired to my Welborne Labs 2A3 monoblocks. They sound ridiculously good. Approx. 3.5 watts each. They are in a 20x21ft room. Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms is totally rockin' the house.  These amps are good because they have great output transformers.

Bruce

I have been using Yaqin amps for around 6 years.  I brought the MC 13 S around 18 months ago.  This amp does not come with a remote and a few other thing and is based on the Dynaco, and David Hafler  designs of past year.  The SQ and build quality are excellent.  It comes with audiophile grade parts.  This amp will perform like amps costing much, much more than the cost reflects.

Guest wdecho
2 hours ago, Tom_Birmingham said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YAQIN-MC-13S-Integrated-Push-Pull-Amplifier/dp/B00A7IZN70 - nice and cheap here Derrick. Hmmmm, maybe a next day purchase.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this amp ?

Many happy customers on this forum using that amplifier. More reviews on US Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/YAQIN-MC-13S-Integrated-Push-Pull-Amplifier/dp/B00A7IZN70/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1525085669&sr=8-2&keywords=yaquin+tube+amplifier

The Dynaco ST70 clone in USA from tubes4hifi is well respected as well if you want USA build. http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm#ST70  Close to double the money though vs Chinese. 

Personally I prefer a single ended tube amplifier but push pull is fine sounding as well. Matter of taste. 

Tom

That looks really nice. If I was in the market and had the money, I would probably go for it. There are some really decent amps coming out of China, if it isn't an issue for you.

Bruce

• 1 month later...

Hello, 

I hope Summer is coming along nicely for you all. Having deliberated about a Yaqin amp I have decided to opt out of purchasing from our friends in the East and stick to potentially UK soil, I have been looking at a Icon Audio Stereo MC25 mk2 amp which looks the business and has had some good reviews. It retails in at £1299.00 so not cheap at all, however I am open to other suggestions along the way. Plus, I'd consider a non tube amp. Baring in mind my room is not the biggest where my sound system is in in the first place, I am after fidelity though so the tube amp leaning is probably the right direction I am heading. 

http://www.iconaudio.com/main-products/stereo-25-mk-ii/ for further details. 

Tom x

• 2 months later...

Hi, 

As a quick update I picked up the Icon Audio Stereo 40 MKIII last week for a steal on Ebay. http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/icon-audio-stereo-40-mkiiim-valve-amplifier?gclid=Cj0KCQjwn4ncBRCaARIsAFD5-gUERxIopBYQyfTQ1AXhlTXUB4vwR1C8U5t4tdHKzfWXbnhMN5w0nucaAgvbEALw_wcB

I wanted to just check with some knowledgable people about how to connect up with the speaker connection at the back of the amp, as the Heresy's run at 8 impedance should this be connect to the 8 or 4 connection ? I just want to make sure, I read that it's what sounds best but I cant hear a massive difference if at all.

I just wanted to make sure it was connected properly. 

Thanks,

Tom

Guest wdecho

You are not going to hurt them amplifier hooking the speaker either way. An output transformer separates the speaker from the electronics of the amplifier except of course the audio signal. As Schu said 8 ohm is the normal connection for the speaker. Sometimes a picture can explain it better. On the secondary of the output transformer the 4 ohm tap is just taken from a shorter path. This diagram of a Hammond OPT also has a second tap separate from main secondary for a 4 ohm connection.  Most OPT's do not so just ignore it for your view.  

pp1.GIF

Just hooked my Heresy SM (Stage Monitors) up to a heavily modded WAD 6550 integrated valve amp. I have not listened to them for the best part of a year as I found them a touch fatiguing on another SS monobloc rig.

What a transformation! Its tubes all the way from now on. I will hook them up to my Williamson KT88 monocblocs later in the week.

I have been listening to them as NFMs so will also play around a little with the placement. 

All the best, M

• 3 weeks later...

I agree the transformation is incredible, I really do love my tube amp and the matching. I had Azymuth on the speakers a few weeks back, it was incredible - plus both of my neighbours were out so I really got to give it some on the speakers. 

Can I ask you friendly bunch another question - I'd like to match a Klipsch sub to my Icon Audio amp, I have done some research and noticed that it's possible to connect a sub with high speaker level inputs. Can anyone recommend a sub for this ? 

If you can notice that in my original thread my room isn't the best for audio and speaker placements will remain where they are, thus, i need to compensate with a sub to get that bass that Heresy lacks. I am noticing a lack of sub bass which is a shame, however jazz and 'mid range' music sounds still wonderful. 

I'd like to stay with Klipsch on the subwoofer front as I love Klipsch and feel my identity with these speakers remains with the brand due to what the business does and the quality of products.