Tube Will Not Bias

derrickdj1

Last night I changed my preamp and power tubes.  Three of the power tubes biased with no problem, one did not.  I tried the bad in other spots to make sure that amp socket was not bad.  The bad tube did not bias in the 3 other slot.  I can't detect no broken parts, loose part, tube color change or discoloration?

Can I get by with replacing only the two tubes on the one side of the amp or do I need to do all 4 power tubes(V1-V4).

I just pulled the other three 6CA7 and putTung-Sol EL34B's in and all 4 biased.  It took about 1 1/2 min. to bias the 4 tubes.  This is just strange that I can't find a tube defect.  Maybe I will look into a tube tester, not like I need more things to monkey around with, lol.

• Like 1

For now, I think you did the right thing and replaced the quad.  That single tube is obviously bad.  You can now look for a tube to replace that one.

I have a couple of tube testers that I can make available (I have 4, and only need one.....)  PM me if interested.

1 hour ago, Schu said:

Was there sound coming from that "bad tube"socket?

No, the speakers sounded the same.  I think it would be just a matter of time before some visible form of tube failure.  Then  the amp may be damaged.  Tubes are cheaper than amp repair, lol.

I had a similar situation with a non bias tube... the socket itself was grounding in some manner and the mono sounded fine and was actually running fine,  but I just could not get a reading at that bias point... but it also didn't move from socket to socket when I moved the drivers around.

• Like 1

I talked to the people at Tube Depot and they said the tube was bad.  They also said there was no need to buy 4 matched tubes since they will get a good match to the old tube they sold me.  They keep good records. The new tube arrived today and all 4 tubes had no problem biasing them.  

• Like 2