Just picked up a pair of HIP's....now for some questions...please

Just found a pair of Hersey HIP's for $250 in pretty good and original shape. Some cosmetic paint was pulled off probably from some box tape stuck on one. But I want to get them up to date. My questions are:

-Did all HIP's have the same networks? All drivers are original. I'll be ordering a rebuild kit from Bob.

-The backs are pretty stuck even after the screws are removed. Is there a secret to getting them off or is it just brute strength? I've taken out the terminal cup to grab hold of the back panel but, MAN, are they stuck!

-What was the original paint on these? black wrinkle. 

THX!!

1 hour ago, Mighty Favog said:

Did all HIP's have the same networks? All drivers are original. I'll be ordering a rebuild kit from Bob.

Same types of networks yes (HIE). Capacitors and woofers are different types depending on year of manufacture. Oil filled vs potted and EVM12L vs K-42 respectively. 

The backs are pretty stuck even after the screws are removed. Is there a secret to getting them off or is it just brute strength? I've taken out the terminal cup the grab hold of the back panel but, MAN, are they stuck!

3/4" x 1/16" neoprene gasket. Very good stuff. I got my roll from TCH web. Kudos to using the terminal cup hole as a grab hold instead of trying to pry along the seam from the exterior.

-What was the original paint on these? black wrinkle. 

That checks.:emotion-21:

See also here for reference:

Nice score, those woofers alone are worth the price paid! I really liked mine they had a great sound just couldn't get any real bass out of them but midrange was excellent. Set them on top of a pair of subs and you'll be good to go. 

15 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

Thanks guys!!

Is there a listing of industrial s/n's to find their age?? #5419 & 5420. 

Where are my manors!! Here's the pic

IMG_20180429_175721.jpg

Look just like the ones I picked up last fall (mine have Klipsch painted just below the midrange).  I had the same issue getting the backs off that sticky gooey black caulking really holds.  I removed the terminal cups and just kept pulling from various angles.  I left my crossovers alone as they sound great and I wasn't going to put crappy Sonicaps in them.  When and if I do update them I will use much higher quality components in the networks.  I need to get mine repainted and feet on the other one as only one had the feet on the bottom.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Nice you got a steal on those, I love the looks with grills and handles.

9 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

Hey!! A milestone for Frozen! 7,000 posts!

Sure is, Congratulations

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

Thanks guys!!

Is there a listing of industrial s/n's to find their age?? #5419 & 5420. 

Where are my manors!! Here's the pic

IMG_20180429_175721.jpg

Cats are naturally attracted to Klipsch HIP Speakers...

image.png.7de7af7f2adf270475a4209db0b0fcfd.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

O.k., I got the driver compliment.

K-42

K-55M

K-77M

Networks: HIE

You got a really good deal, usually I see these listed for $500 plus. Anyway, here is the link to a build thread where I bought a single HIP in bad shape and did a complete tear down and restoration to make it into a boombox. There might be some useful info on painting or recapping the networks etc.

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2018 at 8:14 PM, DizRotus said:

I have a pair of HIP with Type AA networks with Zener diodes.  I don't recall the serial numbers and they're in storage, but the round magnet K-77s & EV woofer tell me they're old.

They may be old, but the EVM 12L's called "klipsch K42's" are THE super bad woofer. LOL.

• Like 1