Just picked up a pair of HIP's....now for some questions...please

On 4/29/2018 at 8:14 PM, DizRotus said:

I have a pair of HIP with Type AA networks with Zener diodes.  I don't recall the serial numbers and they're in storage, but the round magnet K-77s & EV woofer tell me they're old.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.cc0557677687e45e4b4fb775024e5358.jpg

.378B0870-D6E2-4048-B98C-9866496275E2.thumb.jpeg.14e6f8621832776aa3f86911fbc24d9d.jpeg

Are those K42 woofers? I ask because my K42's are stamped steel baskets. Yours look like cast frames.

EVM12L... I had a pair I got from JWC. Great speakers, I wish I had kept them. Heavy, very efficient.

They make a newer version with the same number but I don't know if they are close in parameters.

Bruce

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

Are those K42 woofers? I ask because my K42's are stamped steel baskets. Yours look like cast frames.

Those are the same woofers labeled K-42 in my HIPs. 

PWK was fond of saying, “Doesn’t make a dime’s worth of difference.”  Look at the four screws used by Klipsch to secure those heavy woofers.  Adding four more would not improve the performance, but it would make, “ . . . a dime’s worth of difference” in the cost of production.  As a diehard DIY enthusiast, you can bet I will use eight screws before I close the backs.  This is but one small example of a small “improvement” that can be made by hobbyists when the cost of production is not an issue.  The notion that, if Klipsch didn’t do something we should never do it, is nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2018 at 8:50 PM, Mighty Favog said:

Thanks guys!!

Is there a listing of industrial s/n's to find their age?? #5419 & 5420. 

Where are my manors!! Here's the pic

IMG_20180429_175721.jpg

I thought your manor is in suburban Cincinnati.  😉

Yours are clearly newer than mine.  You got a great deal.  Mind your manners, more photos please.

• Haha 1

On 4/29/2018 at 9:20 PM, Mighty Favog said:

This one's o.k., ...Besides........I know better than to mess with him.

20180224_142417.jpg

"They can have my gun when they pry it from my cold, dead paws."

I'd be careful if I were you.  Our pets may be smarter than they let on.  🦊

Dog Shoots Man

An Iowa man says his dog inadvertently shot him while they were roughhousing Wednesday.

Fifty-one-year-old Richard Remme, of Fort Dodge, told police he was playing with his dog, Balew, on the couch and tossed the dog off his lap. He says when the pit bull-Labrador mix bounded back up, he must have disabled the safety on the gun in his belly band and stepped on the trigger.  The gun fired, striking one of Remme's legs. He was treated at a hospital and released later that day.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/10/iowa-man-says-his-own-dog-shot-him-while-were-playing-together.html

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I thought your manor is in suburban Cincinnati.  😉

Yours are clearly newer than mine.  You got a great deal.  Mind your manners, more photos please.

O.k., I think I got the year for these narrowed down. The most recent serial number on any part is from 84' on the K-77. Strange because my 81' Heresy's have the composite K-701 horns and these HIP's have thd K-700. Hmmmmm.......

Did you ever get the feeling Klipsch reached into coffee cans full of parts to grab whatever was at the top?

Perhaps the anticipated commercial use of HIPs required the stronger aluminum horn over the plastic horn.

3 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Did you ever get the feeling Klipsch reached into coffee cans full of parts to grab whatever was at the top?

Perhaps the anticipated commercial use of HIPs required the stronger aluminum horn over the plastic horn.

That could very well be. Maybe the ringing of the aluminum made the sound carry further? 😁

These may have  suffered from the same transition period. My 84' Cornwall I's had CW II internals (CW 1.5's?).

• Haha 1

O.K., here's one (but they look identical) next to my vintage (and recapped) Technics R&B Series SB-7's from about 1981.

DANG IT!! I FORGOT TO ORDER MIDRANGE GASKETS!! Maybe I'll make some out of automotive gasket sheets..... But I REALLY didn't want to open the cabs again.

IMG_20180512_162017.jpg