Thoughts on Forte III and speaker break in

Shakeydeal

I know the subject of speaker break in is somewhat taboo in these parts. However, I am in the camp that says it is real.

I usually buy and sell on the used market, so it's been quite a while since I've had a brand new pair of speakers out of the box. One pair that is strong in my memory are the Von Schweikert VR4 Silvers that I ordered and took delivery of in 1996. Once I got them set up in my room, I initially thought I had wasted 4500.00. After a week I even called the dealer to find out if I could have my old speakers back that I traded in on the VR4s. But patience paid off and eventually I was very happy with that purchase and kept them for four years ( an eternity for me). But it wasn't until the ~300 hour mark that they began to sing. It was the most dramatic change I've ever heard in any stereo component.

Which brings me to the Forte III. Out of the box they sounded very good, no real complaints. But now I am coming up on 8 weeks with them and I have noticed some changes.

The bass has really filled in. With the speakers 25" from the wall behind them I have strong and detailed bass that belies the stated 38 hz lower limit stated by Klipsch. Unless you are listening to organ music, synthesizer, or anything else that plumbs the depth, they are actually a stones throw from the 4 12" servo controlled subwoofers that I previously had. Midbass impact is very good, only giving up a little ground here. Definition is excellent, very easy to follow a walking bass line even in the busiest of passages.

Another improvement is in the tone and ease of the midrange. A few weeks ago some recordings had a midrange glare that approached being unlistenable. Now I know those aren't the best recordings, somewhat compressed and hot anyway. But now they are tolerable. Better recordings are just that, even better than before. The tone is richer and more palpable giving brass instruments just the right "bite", but with plenty of meat after the initial note.

I do not feel that what I describe above is my ears getting used to the speakers. Others may disagree.

Shakey

• Like 4

Sounds like they did settle. I’m of two minds on the subject. I think they do “break in” a wee bit. I think the rest is getting used to a different sound whilst at the same time working on the ideal placement within your room. It is amazing sometimes what a matter of inches can make. I run Walsh Talls for my front mains, they have a recommended break in time of 100 hours. After a week or so the sound clicked, although during that period I had also fidgeted with placement numerous times. An inch closer to the wall, and inch away from it, as well as farther apart and closer together. Drove my wife nuts until I got them where I thought they sounded best. Break in or coincidence? I’ll never know.

• Like 1

I agree. During this time, I have pushed and pulled them around the room quite a bit. That said, I have had them in this very same position before but without these results. I have probably had them in every imagineable position at least twice, LOL. But that's my OCD kicking in. Even when they sound good, I keep thinking, "but maybe they will sound better here, or here, or there". It's like the saying that most men don't want to know what's on TV, they want to know what else is on TV..........

Shakey

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Same experience here. Seven weeks since I hooked them up, and they still grow on me. I'm fully aware of my ears still are adapting to the new sound, but that's just half the story here. The Fortes are changing. No doubt about it.

Same story with my Heresy III, which needed several hundred hours to tame the midrange harsness...

These days I’m planning a makeover in my living room. Will move my stereo system to another wall so I can give the Fortes more space from the wall. 10" is not enough in my room. I find them to be a bit too bass heavy - to my taste.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I don't know about the break in thing and if it's true but I would think it's not weeks.

BUT I do have to say when we first got new Cornwall lll's after a few weeks of playing they sounded different. My wife asked me one day what did you do they sound even better ? I had not said anything to her about it sounding better to me, she heard something also, and they were not moved and all electronics were the same for weeks. 

I don't know what happened, but something did happen a few weeks later we both heard a difference and we never talked about it before because I didn't really believe  break in was real.

I didn't notice anything with the forte lll's, but they are used for L&R in Ht and other Forte's are playing so it would be much harder to hear a change.

• Like 2

Mine were put immediately into a 12' X 12' room, so I did not move them an awful lot. Forgot what the recommended distance was from the F III thread but I varied them in the corners to where they're 7" from the back wall and 6" from the side. Yea the bass is good in there, and that is what I was trying to improve! It's not optimal but the sound stage or presence of the different instruments and vocals is incredible in there compared to my old H IIs.

I haven't bothered to move the stereo into the den yet because the worst thing would be having to put the tv almost six feet up in the air for my cabinet to work under it.

That would feel like a bar tv setup to me.

Mine sure seemed to "open up" after a few months of light - moderate use too.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Mine were put immediately into a 12' X 12' room, so I did not move them an awful lot. Forgot what the recommended distance was from the F III thread but I varied them in the corners to where they're 7" from the back wall and 6" from the side. Yea the bass is good in there, and that is what I was trying to improve! It's not optimal but the sound stage or presence of the different instruments and vocals is incredible in there compared to my old H IIs.

I haven't bothered to move the stereo into the den yet because the worst thing would be having to put the tv almost six feet up in the air for my cabinet to work under it.

That would feel like a bar tv setup to me.

Mine sure seemed to "open up" after a few months of light - moderate use too.

I tried them in the corners. While they were ok, there was no depth or dimension to the soundstage. And my room is 15 ft. wide, so I felt that was too far to spread them apart. Final placement is 30" from the side walls, 25" from the back wall, and toed in so that they cross well behind the listening position.

Shakey

• Thanks 1

You may want to experiment with toe-in crossing just before or at your listening position. If I understand your last post.

Also, experiment with putting closer to the back corner walls. There is a diminishing point of return for rear passives ability to reinforce bass to far away unless, you are playing at 70 db and above. IMLO

Good fortune and congrats...

My tunes aren't usually easy but the volume is and has been mostly. Wish I could put them into a bigger room........ Living room is 14' 4" X 13' 10":ph34r: +5' to the 14 bigger with the half-wall with the plants to the hallway! If I could find a place for all the Tiger Oak stuff......... like where the stereo cabinet used to be??? The tv is ok with the little Polks, music is more important to me than movies.  I don't have to put the new rig on the tv.

I rationalize that the room with the piano should be the music room!!!

@Shakeydeal you and your yellow hot rod might have started something here!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I agree. During this time, I have pushed and pulled them around the room quite a bit. That said, I have had them in this very same position before but without these results. I have probably had them in every imagineable position at least twice, LOL. But that's my OCD kicking in. Even when they sound good, I keep thinking, "but maybe they will sound better here, or here, or there". It's like the saying that most men don't want to know what's on TV, they want to know what else is on TV..........

Shakey

It always intrigues me when I hear "they sound good but might sound better".  What does that even mean?  What are we measuring against?  How do I know they sound good now or later?  I'm not picking, I'm talking to myself because I have said this so many times myself.  I know what sounds good to me is what I want but I'm usually looking for more but not even sure what that more is.  It opens up a lot of questions, debates and curiosity!!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

You guys said the Forte IIIs sounded better after a few weeks. How long do they get played each day, and at what volume? Unfortunately, I don't get to listen for hours at decent volumes every day. Lots of very quiet late night listening, and occasional room-filling volume. The bass is thunderous, but I've got some upper midrange harshness in some recordings going on, and I was wondering how long it will take to tame it. 

1 hour ago, Drumsbanger said:

You guys said the Forte IIIs sounded better after a few weeks. How long do they get played each day, and at what volume? Unfortunately, I don't get to listen for hours at decent volumes every day. Lots of very quiet late night listening, and occasional room-filling volume. The bass is thunderous, but I've got some upper midrange harshness in some recordings going on, and I was wondering how long it will take to tame it. 

IMO, with any decent speaker, there will be some upper midrange harshness in some recordings.   Some speakers veil the midrange, and "never give offense," while failing to provide good detail, dynamics and microdynamics.   I should say I've never heard the Forte III, but I've heard many, many speakers with horn loaded midrange by Klipsch, JBL, Altec, and others.  With good recordings, they sound very good to excellent, with no harshness.

To see the horrible things record companies do to the balance of recordings, see the many posts of Chris A., starting with "The Missing Octave."  Classical and Jazz sometimes escape this treatment.  Chris advocates  "de-mastering." image.png.3c9ae4296c9a9cadda551393d3551fce.pngThis is the EQ needed to correct one of his CDs.

Also, Audyssey made my Klipschorns and Belle smoother, but I certainly wouldn't advocate it until your speakers are well broken-in, with fairly loud music.  For speakers in general, some people say 100 or more fairly loud hours, others just an hour or two.  Be very careful if you use a burn in test disk to stay below the continuous rating of the speaker ... I'd stick to music.

• Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, dtel said:

My wife asked me one day what did you do they sound even better ? I had not said anything to her about it sounding better to me, she heard something also, and they were not moved and all electronics were the same for weeks. 

"It sounds so good now blondie can't stop wagging her tail!"  

• Haha 2