Klipschorn 5 digit serial number?

Milk

So, I picked these up yesterday locally and am really excited to get started working on them. Unfortunately they came from a smokers home, and I've been seeking help in one of the other Forums on how to clean them properly without damaging them; however that is not the reason I'm over here now. I wanted to know the year these were made and the serial number look-ups have not provided an answer to my question. As you can see from the photos below, these K-horns have a 5 digit serial number, and that doesn't seem to match up with anything I've found online or in these forums. I'm hoping someone here has some knowledge or can help with these. It does appear that the tester was Judy Clayton who, after some research, appears to have been in that department in the late 80's->90's, and I am guessing a year of 1990, but would love some confirmation, and maybe history on why the serial number doesn't match the standard?

Thanks in advance! If anyone ventures around Montana, stop by for a beer and a listen (once I get them cleaned up).

KC 2.jpg

KC 3.jpg

KC 1.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

I do not have the answer, but I'm curious to know what is this mystery !!!

The big plus is that the 2 numbers are consecutive : 35501 and 35502 !  

And then it's a nice up for Milk  ;)

Indeed! I have asked Klipsch Support as well. The first person that answered via their support e-mail gave a date based off the Copyright date on the label, but with the AK-3's in it I'm very doubtful. I voiced that concern and they are getting more senior people involved so hopefully between these forums and support, I'll have an answer!

• 2 weeks later...

Use wood soap to clean them up...it will remove the tars from smoking, then wipe them down with acetone to remove the wood soap residue, then ever so lightly give them a sanding using a sanding block and 220/240 grit sandpaper to get any swollen wood fibers or lifted fibers from the cleaning and wipe-down smoothed out.  By then they will be ready for staining and some kind of finish of your choice over the stain.

You might want to opt for some iron-on birch edge banding on those plywood edges showing prior to the staining and finishing, though...I certainly would!.

• Like 1

BTW, Judy Clayton got started in the sanding room, originally, back in the early 1970's...she worked there for a very long time, then moved over to final assembly/shipping section, where she ended up running the frequency sweeps testing booth....until her retirement.  Just like the rest of us, she would work in shipping to get orders out so that they were ready to get loaded when the trucks came for them during peak periods...which in turn allowed more room for more speakers to be built/sanded/finished and eventually make it into shipping again till that area filled up again, stagnating all the departments ahead of shipping...then we all would go over to help get them out onto trucks again.  The mid-70's thru the mid 80's the production was astounding compared to today for what is now called the Heritage line.