Shure exits phono cartridge business

Not the end of the world, but still a milepost.

May 1, 2018

Dear Valued Partner,

For more than 90 years, Shure has been committed to manufacturing and delivering products of the highest quality, reliability, and value. This commitment requires consistency in materials, processes, and testing, as well the capacity to react to fluctuations in demand.

In recent years, the ability to maintain our exacting standards in the Phonograph Cartridge product category has been challenged, resulting in cost and delivery impacts that are inconsistent with the Shure brand promise.

In light of these conditions, and after thorough evaluation, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue production of Shure Phono products effective Summer 2018. MAP prices will remain in effect.

Given our decades-long history of participation in the Phono category, we recognize that this decision may come as a disappointment to our channel partners and end users.

We are grateful for the support and loyalty demonstrated for Shure Phono products through the years, and we are proud of the impact that these products have made on our customers' lives and the reputation of the Shure brand. We believe that the proud legacy of Shure Phono is best served by exiting the category rather than continuing production under increasingly challenging circumstances.

Shure will continue to bring reputable, high quality products to market, and we look forward to meeting and exceeding customer expectations on our current and future offerings. As Shure expands into new markets and product categories for audiophiles, our enduring commitment to premium performance and technological innovation will remain at our core.

Sincerely,
Abby Kaplan
Senior Director
Retail
US | CAN | AUS | NZ 

Edited by dbomberger
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Lotta very fine competition out there, but I didn't think the phono business was slowing down. However,  I think of Shure as having a very neutral, almost uninteresting sound, and they had been dropping away from their historically most prestigious top-line carts for some time now.

I suggest you go to the first post in this thread and correct the spelling (to Shure) of the title so it will be spelled in the directory where everyone sees it, and in the last post so that new posts will be correct, too.  I'll try to correct  it in this one.

1 hour ago, LarryC said:

Lotta very fine competition out there, but I didn't think the phono business was slowing down. However,  I think of Shure as having a very neutral, almost uninteresting sound, and they had been dropping away from their historically most prestigious top-line carts for some time now.

I suggest you go to the first post in this thread and correct the spelling (to Shure) of the title so it will be spelled in the directory where everyone sees it, and in the last post so that new posts will be correct, too.  I'll try to correct  it in this one.

Thanks for the edit, likely a Spell Check error-I hope.

• Like 1

May 1, 1918

Dear Customers,

With the advent and rapid growth of the new automobile industry, demand for our fine products has plummeted below the profitable threshold, and we are sad to announce we will discontinue the manufacture of all models of the Flegglehouser and Sons buggy whips immediately.  Remaing stocks of finely crafted buggy whips can be found at your local general store.

Sincerely,

Mortimer Flegglehouser

1 hour ago, dbomberger said:

Thanks for the edit, likely a Spell Check error-I hope.

Likely "Auto-correct" -- it really bugs me, I frequently have to go back and "re-correct" changed spellings that I know were right before.  Like, I suspect most people, I think it's a mixed blessing, as it also corrects my fat-finger moves and ingrained misspellings...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MerkinMuffley said:

May 1, 1918

Dear Customers,

With the advent and rapid growth of the new automobile industry, demand for our fine products has plummeted below the profitable threshold, and we are sad to announce we will discontinue the manufacture of all models of the Flegglehouser and Sons buggy whips immediately.  Remaing stocks of finely crafted buggy whips can be found at your local general store.

Sincerely,

Mortimer Flegglehouser

Really

Tool