So Long Sew-Ups

DizRotus

Thanks @Edgar for posting the link to that interesting article.  Like you, getting a racing edge is not my goal.  While much of this business of tire width, air pressure, traction, aerodynamics, etc. is counterintuitive, I like the looks and performance of skinny high pressure tires on my vintage road bike.

On 5/1/2018 at 9:01 PM, DizRotus said:

I bought the bike new in 1974 as it is.  I’m still deciding if the hubs are suitable for road use.  :rolleyes:

I think that the Italian steel framed bikes from the 70's mark one of the high points in bike evolution.  That Legnano and the Ciocc are very cool.  Looking at the frame geometry of the Legnano, the center-pull brakes, the rack braze-ons, the cassette, and the high flange hubs, I'm thinking that your bike is a fast touring model and would be great just as it is for road use.  When you wear out the orange ones, tan walled tires would look great or maybe white.  I put some white walls on a mid 90's De Rosa I restored a few years.  I also built up a set of Ambrosio rims for tubulars (sew-ups) for it and honestly can't tell much difference from good clinchers.

nAujS1F.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sputnik said:

I'm thinking that your bike is a fast touring model and would be great just as it is for road use.

I think it was intended to be a road racer.  It came with two chainwheels (front sprockets) that differed by only 3 teeth, resulting in ten speeds, all high.  I quickly substituted a smaller chainwheel so I could climb something steeper than a speed bump.

7 hours ago, sputnik said:

I think that the Italian steel framed bikes from the 70's mark one of the high points in bike evolution.

You’ll get no disagreement from me.  The Italian built Legnano, fabricated with British made Reynolds 531 tubing, has a liveliness to it that must be experienced to understand.  A friend purchased a new very nice Japanese road bike with Shimano components and clincher tires for ~ $200.  He questioned whether my bike could possibly be more than twice as nice, until he rode it.  After that, he always wanted to trade bikes.  It’s not unlike someone questioning the money we spend on “record players.”

I wanted to buy a Schwinn Paramount (same Reynolds 531 tubing, Campy components, and sew-ups) but the 1974 wage/price freeze prevented Schwinn from charging more than $375, so it wisely decided not to make and sell them at a loss.  I paid $425 for the Legnano and never regretted it.

I’m encouraged that you feel the clinchers will be a suitable replacement.  Honestly, the mystique of tubulars probably kept me putting up with the inconvenience way too long.  At 69, I’d rather ride than replace sew-ups.

I still use tubular (sew up) tires in my triathon/TT bike. I put a bit of sealant in them and have never had a flat in a race. It would be a race ender if I did however. The wheels are super deep carbon fiber and not even available in clincher when I got them several years ago. That seems to be changing and there are lots of carbon clincher out there.

• Like 1

Just completed a shake down run — of the bike, not the neighbors. The anemic pump available could only muster 90 psi, but I’m encouraged by my new clinchers.  Other than an adjustment to the front brake, it seems ready to roll.

44 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Why Carl?

I used the Benotto a lot when I lived in Daytona and the salt air really got to it.  I sold it for not much money and got the Fuji when I moved to Birmingham. 

• Thanks 1