Bi-Amp question / thought

4 hours ago, mboxler said:

Not sure if this helps, but here's a Type-A-BA (bi-amp) crossover I'm working on.  SInce the active crossover replaces the 2.5 mh inductor (low pass filter) and the 13 uf capacitor (high pass filter) of the Type-A crossover, all that remains is an autoformer and 2 uf cap.  I even went so far as to reverse the function of the autoformer.  Instead of attenuating the mid by 3 db, the autoformer passes a 3 db gain to the tweeter.  

Since I'm using the same amp type for the low and high pass, I run the low pass amp at full volume, and the high pass amp at around 12 o'clock.

Mike

IMG_0275.jpg

I saw some 500hz lowpass crossover very similar to these about 40.00 each. Might be an option

Schu, The pass Crossover is WAY out of my budget.

14 hours ago, joessportster said:

I saw some 500hz lowpass crossover very similar to these about 40.00 each. Might be an option

Schu, The pass Crossover is WAY out of my budget.

Cheaper active crossovers are typically noisy and were made for the automobile environment (at least originally).  Not a good match for high efficiency speakers.

13 hours ago, Deang said:

KISS. 

Agreed.  Unless you just want to play you may not be happy as there is one thing that is often overlooked, how the bass / mid blend and the associated roll offs of each to make that blend.  Unless very low in frequency, there may be issues with the mating of the drivers.

48 minutes ago, joessportster said:

?

KISS

KEEP. IT. SIMPLE. STUPID.

Look up QSC DSP-3 I have a few of them. They can be run stand alone. look just like the mini DSP inside.

ride on up and see me...

I can let you borrow some active stuff to try out if you want?

We bi-amp our LS2s.  DSP is a Xilica XP 4080. 

A Mac MC 275 powers the MF/HF section, and a QSC DCA series powers the bass section.

I think bi-amping is really cool because you can tune the speaker to your personal taste (like tubes on Hi and SS on Lo) and time align bass and MF horn.

When you learn how to use REW it gets even cooler.  Then you can correct the speaker's in room response.

fullsizeoutput_4e6.jpeg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Wim M said:

We bi-amp our LS2s.  DSP is a Xilica XP 4080. 

A Mac MC 275 powers the MF/HF section, and a QSC DCA series powers the bass section.

I think bi-amping is really cool because you can tune the speaker to your personal taste (like tubes on Hi and SS on Lo) and time align bass and MF horn.

When you learn how to use REW it gets even cooler.  Then you can correct the speaker's in room response.

fullsizeoutput_4e6.jpeg

What passive are you using for the mid to high crossover?

49 minutes ago, Wim M said:

The original passive crossover.

IMG_1627.jpg

Interesting.  Are you running a 400 hz low pass signal from the Xilica XP 4080 straight to the K-33, but a delayed full signal from the Xilica XP 4080 to the HP section of the original crossover?   The 13 uf capacitor of the HP crossover is still the high pass filter for the K-55?

Mike

16 hours ago, mboxler said:

Interesting.  Are you running a 400 hz low pass signal from the Xilica XP 4080 straight to the K-33, but a delayed full signal from the Xilica XP 4080 to the HP section of the original crossover?   The 13 uf capacitor of the HP crossover is still the high pass filter for the K-55?

Mike

Good questions.  If you are using something like the Xilica, you might as throw away the passive crossover and tri-amp, unless you are stuck with only two amps.  At least ditch the bass/mid crossover section though the most clean up in my opinion, is with the highs time aligning the tweeter to the midrange.

17 hours ago, mboxler said:

Mike

Yes.  My Lo amp is wired directly to the woofers.  HP at 60 Hz and LP at 400 Hz.

The hi amp is delayed with 0,8ms.  The load on this amp is reduced by a HP at 225 Hz.  

1 hour ago, pzannucci said:

Good questions.  If you are using something like the Xilica, you might as throw away the passive crossover and tri-amp, unless you are stuck with only two amps.  At least ditch the bass/mid crossover section though the most clean up in my opinion, is with the highs time aligning the tweeter to the midrange.

Another option is removing the tweeter and replacing it at the back of the top cab.  Though, I heard others say that doesn't improve much.  If I find some time, I"m sure willing to check it out, as it can easily be reversed.

On 5/7/2018 at 8:43 AM, JoeM38 said:

KISS

KEEP. IT. SIMPLE. STUPID.

Look up QSC DSP-3 I have a few of them. They can be run stand alone. look just like the mini DSP inside.

ride on up and see me...

I can let you borrow some active stuff to try out if you want?

Thanks for the acronym meaning, I am a bit slow on the uptake ☺️, I appreciate the offer and will take you up on that but it will be a while as I have a lot on the plate currently. Looking like I will be tied up till some time in July.